collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: re glittering g1's- does it hurt the value?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Re: re glittering g1's- does it hurt the value?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 06:31:27 PM »
I base my decisions on the ethics I would use in museums work and my views on collecting in general.  Although I buy ponies and technically own them I never feel that they fully belong to me.  I always feel a responsibility for any object that I own beyond my own enjoyment of it.  This extends to thinking about disposal as well i.e. whether I sell something or recycle it or have to put it in black waste etc.  I am only ever just a part of the life cycle of an object.  It doesn't matter how cheap or expensive, common or precious the object is/was to me, everything material that I use or own has an impact on the world.  Some objects are treasured and I hope will last for many years to come, including my ponies. I like to think that I keep them in the way that most other people would appreciate when the time comes to pass them on.

Whoa, that gave me pause. It's disconcerting but inevitable to consider that our objects will out"live" us. I like your existential tone!

As an aside, OP, if you do restore a glitterless pony in the future, you probable want to use microfine glitter, AKA micro glitter. I have a friend who regularly uses that kind of glitter in her art, and it looks the closest to what is on ponies. Martha Stewart and similar craft glitters are too thick and won't match up.

This looks like a good source to buy some: https://www.elizabethcraftdesigns.com/collections/glitter

Good luck!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »

Whoa, that gave me pause. It's disconcerting but inevitable to consider that our objects will out"live" us. I like your existential tone!

Cheers, yeah I am a bit like that.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »
How much a restoration affects value depends on how well it's done, and the buyer.

Some collectors will not touch restored ponies, aka rehair, repaint or reglitters. Others will but only as a placeholder until they get a better more original version, and still more may not care as long as the pony looks original.  A poor job where the pony is notably different (inaccurate application, bigger glitter) almost always will reduce its value.  Personally I would not be interested in a pony with reglittered symbols because I've yet to see anyone do it perfectly enough to match factory issue and due to the conservation concerns already raised.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal