collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: re glittering g1's- does it hurt the value?  (Read 2025 times)

theamazingfetus

• Trade Count: (0)
re glittering g1's- does it hurt the value?
« on: November 05, 2016, 11:29:35 AM »
I have a few g1 ponies that the glitter is a bit sparse but not entirely rubbed off, is it considered okay to resparkle them up? I know theres some debate out there about whether or not to restore/customize g1 ponies that aren't completely baity because they're a finite resource. I just want to know what the deal is and whether or not I'm committing ponycide by touching up the glitter on a couple of my ponies? I'm thinking of maybe using a glitter mix with holo glitter and matching glitter to the symbols to add more zing to it, but my ponies are already in pretty darn good condition given their age, they are not baity at all. 

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: re glittering g1's- does it hurt the value?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »
I would say in most cases yes it would hurt the value slightly because most people want their ponies original. They are your ponies though and if you would enjoy them more with touched up glitter then go for it. I'm thinking of reglittering a few of my own too. As long as when you go to sell them eventually it's clear to the buyers that they have been reglittered.  :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 05:39:51 PM »
Probably not much. If your selling them just mention that you did. Besides it's not gonna matter much on a super cheap and common pony like Windy or Moondancer .

Go for it though. My daughter touched up the symbols on her Moonstone and she looks much better
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 06:58:48 PM »
I would say it would devalue a pony who had pretty good symbols to start with - but if they are mostly gone or pretty faded overall, then it can't hurt and might help the value a bit. The tricky part is finding glitter fine enough, and doing a good job. A reglittered pony with a good job done will be worth more than one that was sloppily done.

theamazingfetus

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
Thanks for answering everyone. :3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »
I think it would depend on the rarity of the pony, too.  For a common pony like Moondancer or Skydancer, I would expect it to increase the value a little.  Simply because they are not worth much without symbols.  But I would expect it to decrease the value of a rare pony like Hollywood, who has value regardless of how her symbol looks.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
I think it would depend on the rarity of the pony, too.  For a common pony like Moondancer or Skydancer, I would expect it to increase the value a little.  Simply because they are not worth much without symbols.  But I would expect it to decrease the value of a rare pony like Hollywood, who has value regardless of how her symbol looks.

I agree with you on the rarity thing! I think it might increase the value for a really common pony (since otherwise you would have to sell a bald-glittered Glory for like, a buck), but there are some people who would prefer to A) reglitter themselves or B) prefer a wholly-original pony, glitter or no. So there may be a smaller market of who would buy, but it might help the value if you did it well! But so long as you're certain to let the new buyer know, I bet you could find someone who would enjoy them. :)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
If they are in fairly good condition I'd leave well alone. Maybe I would upgrade them.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline princessluna11706

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 06:47:51 PM »
I agree that if it is a common pony and the glitter is a very close match it could increase the value a bit :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

lostpony

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 02:48:59 AM »
I notice that on common ponies that I have, glitter condition makes a difference in how much I enjoy them and if I had the skills and materials to touch them effectively up I would.  Everything said here so far looks right, from people who know so the one thing I have to add that matters is, if you re-glitter please remember to post some before and after pics for us to enjoy!  Thanks!

Offline Shy Violet

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »
I notice that on common ponies that I have, glitter condition makes a difference in how much I enjoy them and if I had the skills and materials to touch them effectively up I would.  Everything said here so far looks right, from people who know so the one thing I have to add that matters is, if you re-glitter please remember to post some before and after pics for us to enjoy!  Thanks!

Yes, this! I love seeing before and after photos!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 01:05:31 PM »

Definitely this!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »
I agree with the below... and I also think that even G1s that are common now will not be common forever so I wouldn't take that into account when deciding whether or not to permanently alter a pony.

I would say in most cases yes it would hurt the value slightly because most people want their ponies original. They are your ponies though and if you would enjoy them more with touched up glitter then go for it. I'm thinking of reglittering a few of my own too. As long as when you go to sell them eventually it's clear to the buyers that they have been reglittered.  :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

lostpony

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 10:07:13 AM »
Artemesia Floc is the conservative opinion around here as to what is safe to use on a pony with regards to its future and while I am much more cavalier I have come to see that she's right, so if you have any questions about which chemicals are the best to use on your ponies for their long-term survival she's the one to ask!

for example I would have no idea what sort of adhesive or glitter would actually last without damaging the pony eventually as it ages...

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 03:43:18 PM »
Artemesia Floc is the conservative opinion around here as to what is safe to use on a pony with regards to its future and while I am much more cavalier I have come to see that she's right, so if you have any questions about which chemicals are the best to use on your ponies for their long-term survival she's the one to ask!

for example I would have no idea what sort of adhesive or glitter would actually last without damaging the pony eventually as it ages...

I'm not sure either, which is partly why I would avoid it.  Mainly I just think it's better not to add anything to a pony. I like to clean ponies and even use magic eraser but I'm not a fan of adding things like glitter, paint or new hair if the overall condition is still 'good'.  If you add things in my view you are effectively baiting a pony.  The pony is no longer an original 1980s My Little Pony, it is a 1980s pony that has been altered by you.  Unfortunately unless you are  fantastically talented and famous customiser that alteration is not likely to put the object beyond it's original value as an object.  And I'm talking about the value here not the price.

I do re-hair ponies and touch up glitter and paint but I tend to only do it to ponies that are so damaged they would probably be beyond interest to other collectors as original ponies.  For example:
 I rescued a Dancing Butterflies that had been re-haired poorly once so once I had cleaned her up she was already bald with split plugs, superglue damage and had some paint wear as well.  I could have restored her to a more original appearance but those split plugs were the decider.  So I gave her a poofy alt-rehair that hides the splits and new eyeliner with extra long wings.  Even though most people would have baited her I still didn't feel comfortable causing any additional damage.  I could still easliy restore her to a more original appearance because the hair isn't glued in and the eyeliner could easily come off and be re-touched in original style.  However the split plugs will always look bad unless I get very clever with some very clever glue which may not be a good long term choice anyway.  So anyway here she is.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I base my decisions on the ethics I would use in museums work and my views on collecting in general.  Although I buy ponies and technically own them I never feel that they fully belong to me.  I always feel a responsibility for any object that I own beyond my own enjoyment of it.  This extends to thinking about disposal as well i.e. whether I sell something or recycle it or have to put it in black waste etc.  I am only ever just a part of the life cycle of an object.  It doesn't matter how cheap or expensive, common or precious the object is/was to me, everything material that I use or own has an impact on the world.  Some objects are treasured and I hope will last for many years to come, including my ponies. I like to think that I keep them in the way that most other people would appreciate when the time comes to pass them on.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:51:29 PM by Artemesia Floc »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal