collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gen 3 books or episodes/movies. Which was 'canon'?  (Read 1974 times)

Flutterfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Gen 3 books or episodes/movies. Which was 'canon'?
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:18:17 AM »
Which is more canon to you, G3 fans, the 12 episodes and movies and shorts that were produced by Wang Film Productions or the 16 books published by HarperCollins Publishers. Also, do the books mention Dash's love of riding rainbows or Sparkle using her imagination or other stuff from the backcards?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:19:54 AM by Flutterfan »

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 3 books or episodes/movies. Which was 'canon'?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »
To answer your second question first: yes, the early G3 characterizations were sometimes used in the books, although more often in the board books and not necessarily the softcover ones for older readers. Rainbow Dash was adventurous, Sunny Daze invented new games, Kimono was the wise historian, Pinkie Pie was a bit shy and naive, Sweetberry liked to create desserts, etc.

In my own opinion, it's all "canon". Other entertainment franchises, comic books especially, have had numerous changes to characterization and alternate universes that can all exist simultaneously, so I don't see why MLP can't be the same. G3 Rainbow Dash can be a dare-devil and C7 Rainbow Dash can be a fashionista and G4 Rainbow Dash can be a dare-devil again and it's all good.

Or on the other hand, maybe none of the G3 stuff can really be considered a "canon". You have to keep in mind that people who are/were "G3 fans" are toy collectors with perhaps a passing interest in the cartoons/books, so the concept of even having a canon for G3 is kind of a non-starter. Would being a Lego collector mean that The Lego Movie was your Lego Canon? I think the response of most G3 collectors to the idea of nailing down a G3 canon would mostly be a noncommittal shrug.

Flutterfan

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 09:33:21 AM »
"To answer your second question first: yes, the early G3 characterizations were sometimes used in the books, although more often in the board books and not necessarily the softcover ones for older readers. Rainbow Dash was adventurous, Sunny Daze invented new games, Kimono was the wise historian, Pinkie Pie was a bit shy and naive, Sweetberry liked to create desserts, etc."

That's weird that they used the personalities for the hard books rather than the softcover ones like 'Fashion Fun', 'Butterfly Hunt', and 'Mystery Monster'.

"G3 Rainbow Dash can be a dare-devil and C7 Rainbow Dash can be a fashionista and G4 Rainbow Dash can be a dare-devil again and it's all good."

There is still the problem that Fashionista Dash still remembers stuff from the days before the Core 7. Even Pinkie Pie remembers stuff that the adventurous RD did. It is so weird, but not impossible to believe, that these 2 Rainbows are the same Rainbow, besides the new voice. Rainbow dash used to be a darling who liked rainbows with a Mid Atlantic accent. Later she was a dress maker with a higher, IMO better, more relatable voice. Besides the voice change, I don't see anything wrong with Rainbow deciding to be a dressmaker. To see somewhat of a point, see her outrageous scene in Runaway Rainbow where she is pulling along SIX suitcases on an adventure to bring Rarity home.

"Would being a Lego collector mean that The Lego Movie was your Lego Canon?"

Absolutely not.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 09:38:34 AM »
Or on the other hand, maybe none of the G3 stuff can really be considered a "canon". You have to keep in mind that people who are/were "G3 fans" are toy collectors with perhaps a passing interest in the cartoons/books, so the concept of even having a canon for G3 is kind of a non-starter. . . I think the response of most G3 collectors to the idea of nailing down a G3 canon would mostly be a noncommittal shrug.

You really hit the nail on the head.

I think the only thing about G3 that has been widely accepted as canon is that Minty likes socks.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:08:14 AM »
Or on the other hand, maybe none of the G3 stuff can really be considered a "canon". You have to keep in mind that people who are/were "G3 fans" are toy collectors with perhaps a passing interest in the cartoons/books, so the concept of even having a canon for G3 is kind of a non-starter. . . I think the response of most G3 collectors to the idea of nailing down a G3 canon would mostly be a noncommittal shrug.

I think the only thing about G3 that has been widely accepted as canon is that Minty likes socks.

I agree with this and would even go so far as to say that this even applies to MLP all the way back to G1 to a certain extent.  The shows and comics in G1 were vastly different, also.   It's only with FiM that you have a larger number of people concerned with canon.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »
I honestly don't know much about the G3 books but my opinion is that if it's official merchandise then it's all canon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:18:53 AM »
I agree with this and would even go so far as to say that this even applies to MLP all the way back to G1 to a certain extent.  The shows and comics in G1 were vastly different, also.   It's only with FiM that you have a larger number of people concerned with canon.

Very true.  G1 MLP became popular as a toy before there was ever a show, and it was always more like "Hey, this popular toyline has a show!" than "Hey, this show has a toyline!"  I know I only saw two partial episodes of "MLP & Friends" as a kid, despite being crazy about MLP in general.  I really had no idea what went on in the show.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:20:46 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
which is weird because it doesn't show up in any of her appearances but one

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »
To answer your second question first: yes, the early G3 characterizations were sometimes used in the books, although more often in the board books and not necessarily the softcover ones for older readers. Rainbow Dash was adventurous, Sunny Daze invented new games, Kimono was the wise historian, Pinkie Pie was a bit shy and naive, Sweetberry liked to create desserts, etc.

In my own opinion, it's all "canon". Other entertainment franchises, comic books especially, have had numerous changes to characterization and alternate universes that can all exist simultaneously, so I don't see why MLP can't be the same. G3 Rainbow Dash can be a dare-devil and C7 Rainbow Dash can be a fashionista and G4 Rainbow Dash can be a dare-devil again and it's all good.

Or on the other hand, maybe none of the G3 stuff can really be considered a "canon". You have to keep in mind that people who are/were "G3 fans" are toy collectors with perhaps a passing interest in the cartoons/books, so the concept of even having a canon for G3 is kind of a non-starter. Would being a Lego collector mean that The Lego Movie was your Lego Canon? I think the response of most G3 collectors to the idea of nailing down a G3 canon would mostly be a noncommittal shrug.
Yep. Best answer was the first answer.

I have some of the books, and I have actually read them! But I have never really stopped to think about whether the books tie in together. Honestly, I barely watched the G3 shows, and what I did see I didn't love, so I didn't give them much thought. They seemed to be aimed at an extremely young audience (younger than the toys are intended for). The only thing I would think about was whether the characterization in the books fit the description on the backs of the pony toy boxes. :)

Ponykit

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »
I think all of it is canon, although maybe set in different worlds? I dunno, I like alternate universes. (I made up my own canon for G3, at least most of it.)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 12:41:28 PM »

It was already a popular idea with collectors by the time it was in the show.  Originally it was on Minty's backcard.  :)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 01:55:23 PM »

You nailed it :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Flutterfan

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
It gets mentioned in Come Back, Lily Lightly.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 02:13:40 PM »

I would echo this as well. The very concept of "canon" has come to the MLP community with G4. As mentioned here, MLP is a toyline with some "media merch" (including its cartoons/shorts/movies) which are essentially fancy adverts. The cartoons having any relevance to the toys only started when the cartoon became bigger than the toys, as has happened with this new generation.

I think the closest "canon" you may get most collectors to ascribe to is perhaps what is on a backcard rather than what is in a cartoon episode or book.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 11:11:22 AM »
It gets mentioned in Come Back, Lily Lightly.
Oh, so it does! I concede my confusion.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal