collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro lost the G1 ponies?  (Read 2078 times)

StarberryTart

• Trade Count: (0)
Hasbro lost the G1 ponies?
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »
Is this true? How extensive is this?

Because they were able to make that collection of retro anniversary ponies in 2007 (?) and they can still make Minty, so they haven't lost ALL of them, have they? Would the retro ponies show that they still own some of the rights to some of the ponies?

RedKitsune

Re: Hasbro lost the G1 ponies?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:11:27 PM »
I don't know everything about it, but I think they lost a lot of the molds for the G1 ponies. And even if they did have them, I don't think the company has much interest in re-releasing them again : /

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
If you mean the Trademarks, then as far as I know, what they lost is the trademark of the name associated with a specific character. As I understand it, this doesn't mean they CAN'T use them at all, but they'd have to spend time and money trademarking them again or just using the names without trademarking them, which I would assume they'd rather not do (since that would mean others can use it?). Or make sure others haven't already trademarked those names.

As for the molds, I'm sure they don't have those anymore. The retro ponies were remade molds.

StarberryTart

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »
Yeah I was talking about the trademarks. Sorry that I didn't make that a bit clearer.

I was interested in it because some of the retro ponies are my favorites from G1. If they made the retro ones, wouldn't they still own the trademark? I'm interested in the possibility of these G1 ponies being able to made into G4 or future generations. If they've lost the trademark, then it's unlikely. :(

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »
My understanding is it's mostly a name issue.  It's not that big of a deal.  Hasbro has made Transformers called "Autobot Bumblebee" or "Autobot Ratchet" to get around TF issues, they've used "Spike the Dragon" (instead of just "Spike") and "Rarity the Unicorn" (instead of just "Rarity") in the current line.

This leaves me to believe they could release "Firefly the Pegasus" and so on.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »
Ok, this is my understanding on the whole thing, though I admit I may be wrong on this...

Hasbro lost a lot of the trademark names for the toys because they didn't keep the trdemarks up after the 1980's. However, they did re-aquire the rights to the characters with the purchase of the sunbow animated library a few years back, meaning G1 characters can be used, or g1 could technically be remade. A way around the toy name trademark issue would be what they did with the transformers line- such as calling Jazz 'autobot Jazz' and Ratchet 'autobot Ratchet' to get around trademark issues. Hence we might get 'pony Firefly' or 'Pony Surprise'

(edit: Aaaand Moondancer beat me to it!  :lol: )
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:56:31 PM by Firehooves »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »
As far as I know, all of this is rumor and none of it is true.

Offline shimmer73083

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
Thanks for asking this because I'm confused on the whole issue and haven't really been able to find any information.

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
Well, the Sunbow aquistion by hasbro part is totally true, they bought back all the right to thier 80's toons based on thier toys. The name loss hoever, might be rumor.

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »
We have seen Firefly in the comic and Moondancer was talked about in the first episode

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »
Hasbro likes to give us conflicting information because none of us are lawyers.  :)

Here's the down-low:  The molds for all but the re-releases have been destroyed for decades.  Hasbro already admitted they had to sacrifice ponies to make the molds again, at great expense, since they had to make hundreds for the factories.  Plus all the artwork would have to be re-printed again on the boxes/cards= more costs...

Although they COULD invest millions of dollars into a "revival" and push themselves back into having the trademark for certain G1 characters... they likely never will, because it was such a traumatic failure the last time they tried. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 05:24:28 AM »

Although they COULD invest millions of dollars into a "revival" and push themselves back into having the trademark for certain G1 characters... they likely never will, because it was such a traumatic failure the last time they tried. 

Oh wow, the re-release of the collectors ponies etc... was a failure?  I didn't know.  That really stinks  :cry:  I bought a few sets when they came out but I guess I never noticed if they stayed on the shelves a long time.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 05:35:29 AM »

Oh wow, the re-release of the collectors ponies etc... was a failure?  I didn't know.  That really stinks  :cry:  I bought a few sets when they came out but I guess I never noticed if they stayed on the shelves a long time.

I guess we will never see anymore retro releases then :cry:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »
As everyone has said this story of "loosing the rights to their own ponies" is a fiction which was either offered by Hasbro and/or Faust at the start of FiM in order to quieten fans and questions over why we have Rainbow Dash and not Firefly or Pinkie Pie and not Surprise. They way it was stated was as though it was the reason they didnt use Posey and Surprise - instead a more honest answer would be that they had invested time and energy into market research and into the most recent G3 line and therefore Pinkie and Dash were going to be renamed. After all they had to trademark "Twilight Sparkle" why couldnt they just have trademarked "Surprise Dash" and have her white with yellow hair?

As others have said they dont hold the trademark any more - because they havent used them therefore the rights are lost after a period of inactivity. There is absolutely nothing stopping Hasbro calling a pony Firefly and releasing a pink pegasus with blue hair. However, they probably would not be able to trademark just Firefly.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »

Yep, they were poorly received by a lot of fans in the pony community at that time.  I remember the G3 days on the Arena were full of just as many complaints as G4s are now.   Just not ALL about QC.  ;)

I must sadly admit that I myself have a part in this failure because I saw them multiple times, complained about I didn't like the brighter and more reflective plastics used instead of the muted pastels in the originals, then didn't buy them.  If I had realized that my actions would become a nail in the coffin for Hasbro's plans to cater to collectors, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THEM.  *cry cry cry*

Ah well... hindsight and almost 5 years life experience later...  ;) 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:03:33 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal