collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunfading question  (Read 562 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Sunfading question
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
Hey, everypony!

Although the intense summer sun has begun to give way to the shorter days of fall, I'm still raring to sunfade some tricky little splotches off some G1s I've got in queue.  I know that some white ponies are taboo for sunfading, but I seem to remember reading that pink or otherwise red-tinged ponies are also wont to turn odd colours.  I may be misremembering, though - I do that a lot, it's a combination of age and inherent scatterbrainedness, I suspect.  Can anypony enlighten me on which ponies I shouldn't sit in sunlight?  Thanks!

(I've got two Sweet Stuffs set to go, Sparkler, Parasol, and an almost unbelievably beautiful Pina Colada whose only flaw is the marker on the underside of her hooves - PC could skip the sunbath and still be gorgeous on display, but the others all have various marker issues.  Seriously, what is it with children and markers??? :rolleyes:)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Sunfading question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
If I remember correctly, G1 Sweetberry Ponies can't be sunfaded... I think someone showed one they tried to sunfade and the poor girl got sunburned (it was a Cherry Treats)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »
I dont know about others, but I had Pina Colada with marker on her hooves too. Back then I didnt know acne creams can bleach the colour, so I gave her a week of acne cream and sunlight. Marks are now gone and she did not change colour in any way.  :)

... Too bad my Baby Cuddles wasnt that lucky.  >_<

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
I don't know much about sunfading, but according to the paint and sunfading tutorial-thread, you could try to sunfade on just the stains, and cover the rest of the pony. At least the stains can't get much worse, even if they do sunburn.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 05:34:20 AM »
All sunfading is done at a risk - no matter what the pony or what the colour or what the stain there is always the possibility that the chemicals and content within the plastic will react and bleach to a different colour or that it will exacerbate any kind of chemical instability already in the plastic.

However thankfully, the vast vast majority of time sunfading works and all the ponies you have listed I have seen people sun fade to a certain extent in the past. Even some of the ponies which are listed as being wont to tan have been successfully sunfaded before. The key is simply to monitor the sunfading - cover all areas which dont need faded and monitor the stain to ensure that the sun doesnt bleach out a little of the plastic at the same time. And of course be prepared for it not to always work.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 08:15:37 AM »
Cat has very good points!!

CP white ponies in general fade OK, Majesty too.

Starshine sunburns, so does cherry treats (as previously mentioned), confetti, gingerbread.

A large majority of my collection has been sunfaded at some point, I even took the plunge and did Baby Starbow who had pink highlighter on her face, she looks fab now!

Oh, I sunfaded sweet berry pony raspberry jam, she looked fab after h202 and sun!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »
Thank you, everypony, for the good advice.  I'm going to start with the Sweet Stuffs, I think, then progress through the herd.  (I have some monstrous kalanchoes and dieffenbachias that are also jockeying for sun at our window, so there isn't room for everypony and the plants...)  I may even remember to take before-and-after photos this time! :P

Though I'm still hemming and hawing over sunfading Sparkler.  She displays so nicely... and it is really kind of funny, the way she was, erm, marker-enhanced. :blink:  Makes a good story, anyhow.

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »
Though I'm still hemming and hawing over sunfading Sparkler.  She displays so nicely... and it is really kind of funny, the way she was, erm, marker-enhanced. :blink:  Makes a good story, anyhow.

Pics... pics... pics...

G4 customs 4 sale

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »

Pics... pics... pics...

:lol:

I got Sparkler in my first ever lot off eBay.  I now know to request better photos, and from all angles, please.

Spoiler

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 06:01:37 AM »
Bwah ha ha ha. I've got a glory that has 'gi' in that same spot...

That should sunfade out just fine. :o)

G4 customs 4 sale

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal