collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does it look like Blind Bags are all we're ever going to get?  (Read 12505 times)

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Does it look like Blind Bags are all we're ever going to get?
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2012, 08:24:02 PM »
I am losing interest in G4 because of the huge lack of new brushable characters, which is sad because G4 is what got me into MLP  :mad:

Offline appletini

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
I am losing interest in G4 because of the huge lack of new brushable characters, which is sad because G4 is what got me into MLP  :mad:.

It's hard to say, although I think compared to previous generations we are getting a fair amount of brushables. That said, it's almost a given that the blind bags are going to be the thing that they'll push for awhile. Simply because of it being the most bought mlp toy by bronies.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
G3 has 100s of different brushables!  maybe I'll go back to working on a nice G3
collection...

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »
I am losing interest in G4 because of the huge lack of new brushable characters, which is sad because G4 is what got me into MLP  :mad:.

It's hard to say, although I think compared to previous generations we are getting a fair amount of brushables. That said, it's almost a given that the blind bags are going to be the thing that they'll push for awhile. Simply because of it being the most bought mlp toy by bronies.

I'm not sure hasbro is really making toys for "bronies".. I think they make blind bags because kids can take them to school and trade them. Just like Moshi Monsters bags, and every other tradable figure set. Kids love tiny little tradable figures. Also, I think the amount of main 6 brushables is because little girls want their favorite characters from the show.. and will always want them no matter if it's the same pony. When I was a little girl, I would ask for the same doll/toy over and over again if it came with the smallest little change and new accessories.

I just have a hard time believing that any toy company caters to adult collectors like "bronies".. Toys have been and always will be made for kids.. Places like hot topic make merchandise for "bronies".. Little kids don't shop at hot topic.. See what I mean?

That's just my input though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline appletini

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »

I'm not sure hasbro is really making toys for "bronies".. I think they make blind bags because kids can take them to school and trade them. Just like Moshi Monsters bags, and every other tradable figure set. Kids love tiny little tradable figures. Also, I think the amount of main 6 brushables is because little girls want their favorite characters from the show.. and will always want them no matter if it's the same pony. When I was a little girl, I would ask for the same doll/toy over and over again if it came with the smallest little change and new accessories.

I just have a hard time believing that any toy company caters to adult collectors like "bronies".. Toys have been and always will be made for kids.. Places like hot topic make merchandise for "bronies".. Little kids don't shop at hot topic.. See what I mean?

I would agree with you that they started as small toys for little kids to collect and trade, but I honestly think its grown beyond that. They've already aimed whole sets at bronies, (like the collector set with Nightmare Moon and ditzy :muffin: Pony hooves) to see how well they would do and they sell well enough. But I would estimate that less than half of the FIM fandom buys any of the toys at all and the majority of the ones that do, buy the blind bags and very little else.  I don't think it's going to be where they'll look to market full force, but I do think they plan to lean more heavily that way.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:54:38 PM by appletini »

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »

I would agree with you that they started as small toys for little kids to collect and trade, but I honestly think its grown beyond that. They've already aimed whole sets at bronies, (like the collector set with Nightmare Moon and ditzy :muffin: Pony hooves) to see how well they would do and they sell well enough. But I would estimate that less than half of the FIM fandom buys any of the toys at all and the majority of the ones that do buy the blind bags and very little else.  I don't think it's going to be where they'll look to market full force, but I do think they plan to lean more heavily that way.

:huh: That's pretty sad then. I wish big companies would ignore fandoms like that. That's when they really start going downhill. I mean.. most (though there are fans that appreciate previous gens too!) of that fandom hates everything before this generation. Yet they want to cater to them? Just saddening.  :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline appletini

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »

I would agree with you that they started as small toys for little kids to collect and trade, but I honestly think its grown beyond that. They've already aimed whole sets at bronies, (like the collector set with Nightmare Moon and ditzy :muffin: Pony hooves) to see how well they would do and they sell well enough. But I would estimate that less than half of the FIM fandom buys any of the toys at all and the majority of the ones that do buy the blind bags and very little else.  I don't think it's going to be where they'll look to market full force, but I do think they plan to lean more heavily that way.

:huh: That's pretty sad then. I wish big companies would ignore fandoms like that. That's when they really start going downhill. I mean.. most (though there are fans that appreciate previous gens too!) of that fandom hates everything before this generation. Yet they want to cater to them? Just saddening.  :(

Being a brony myself and a fan of all the generations I agree. MLP:FIM introduced me to MLP as a whole. It really annoys me when some of my friends laugh at the other generations, when they themselves go nuts anytime someone teases them about liking ponies... Double standards anyone?

To be fair too hasbro, they have mostly left the fandom alone. They rarely do much outside of posting new show info and giving the following nods here and there within it. But when it comes down to it money speaks and if your newly developed mass following is only willing to throw money at one particular type of toy you sell, that's the one you're going to market more. I don't think they'll exclusively cater to bronies but I think they've definitely started to take them into consideration when thinking about the toys they develop and sell.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:04:11 PM by appletini »

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 09:04:03 PM »

I do not care for the blind bags, not every brony goes for them !
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline appletini

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 09:05:31 PM »

I do not care for the blind bags, not every brony goes for them !

Agreed. I myself am a "buy all the toys!" brony, but in all the polls they've done, the majority claim to rarely buy beyond the blind bags.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
there is so many characters they need to make as brushable  :)  i hope they do release more soon

GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline appletini

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »
there is so many characters they need to make as brushable  :)  i hope they do release more soon

I'm still catching up!  :biggrin: But yeah more would be very nice. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but I would bet that the new brushables will show up after the newest season starts airing. More tinsel haired brushables have popped up (I've spotted two outside of the mane six including a regular pegasus Ploomette) on toaboa and their Ebay counterpart. My guess is it tyes in with the crystal kingdom somehow.

will2Bfree

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »

I'm still catching up!  :biggrin: But yeah more would be very nice. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but I would bet that the new brushables will show up after the newest season starts airing. More tinsel haired brushables have popped up (I've spotted two outside of the mane six including a regular pegasus Ploomette) on toaboa and their Ebay counterpart. My guess is it tyes in with the crystal kingdom somehow.

Who have you seen besides Ploomette? Pics?

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »
Less brushables made = Josiekat has more money to spend on other ponies that aren't in stores. lol

Honestly, I am a brushable collector. The only reason I want G1 Petites is because I had them as a kid. As of right now, there are about 5 G4's out that I don't have, and I guess I'll have the time to track those down. After that, I guess I will go back to working on cutting down my wishlist. I know it's not even a drop in the bucket, but less brushables means less of my coin for hasbro. lol

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2012, 07:27:16 AM »
I think the Hot Topic stuff is aimed at bronies-

I don't think the blind bags are-  when I walk through Target now there are million little tiny toys around that size- some are cute and some idiotic- but they all seem to be selling pretty well.  I think the stores are favoring the teeny tiny toys just because that is what the kids want right now- I'm sure it will change.

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
I really hope they make more brushables too!  The next wave (from Crystal Empire) have new packaging from what I remember seeing.  I only saw one original character leaked (Ploomette I think?)  I also remember seeing sparkly translucent brushables which still have had no release date.  Can we also get that Minty that never came to life so long ago?!  Haha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal