collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Time Travelling Shopping Trips!  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Re: Time Travelling Shopping Trips!
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
Friends, has anyone thought about the practicalities of getting the things you want in this hypothetical situation?

Spoiler
First thing I can think of is what happens if you travel back in time to 1983 with a smart phone and a vape to take pictures?

Your clothes stand out, you use words that're from our time? You could probably stick out like a sore thumb, but if you go even further you might land in a place where foreigners cannot get in or not, leading to horrible things.

Plus with stores of the 1980's/1990's you can get a general idea of what's there so you don't have to guess where to find one, with medieval Europe you'd have to research where to find something then deal with the repercussions like the plague and arrows.

And getting the mail order ponies wouldn't be a guaranteed thing, you'd need an address, clip off the horseshoe points, mail it in, wait then get it.
There'd be other ways of definitely getting them, but they're unethical, such as nicking it off a child or going into the factory, sneaking in the packaging area and grabbing them, resulting in an extra being made or someone else missing out on them.

But with this, you'd have to track down which mail order was made at which factory, at what time, the building layout, safety precautions, blending in or who got them, how to get the item from them, ect.

I know it's a fantasy and all but even then, there must be some things that need consideration.

It's ... it's a fantasy   :pout: I put in the 'assuming that you had the right currency' as an indication that time travel headaches like clothing, settings, etc. etc. etc. do not apply. It's a fun exercise to make you think about stuff you missed either from childhood or from more recent times, or a nostalgic think-back to places and times you will never revisit again.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2019, 05:38:49 PM »
Friends, has anyone thought about the practicalities of getting the things you want in this hypothetical situation?

Spoiler
First thing I can think of is what happens if you travel back in time to 1983 with a smart phone and a vape to take pictures?

Your clothes stand out, you use words that're from our time? You could probably stick out like a sore thumb, but if you go even further you might land in a place where foreigners cannot get in or not, leading to horrible things.

Plus with stores of the 1980's/1990's you can get a general idea of what's there so you don't have to guess where to find one, with medieval Europe you'd have to research where to find something then deal with the repercussions like the plague and arrows.

And getting the mail order ponies wouldn't be a guaranteed thing, you'd need an address, clip off the horseshoe points, mail it in, wait then get it.
There'd be other ways of definitely getting them, but they're unethical, such as nicking it off a child or going into the factory, sneaking in the packaging area and grabbing them, resulting in an extra being made or someone else missing out on them.

But with this, you'd have to track down which mail order was made at which factory, at what time, the building layout, safety precautions, blending in or who got them, how to get the item from them, ect.

I know it's a fantasy and all but even then, there must be some things that need consideration.

It's ... it's a fantasy   :pout: I put in the 'assuming that you had the right currency' as an indication that time travel headaches like clothing, settings, etc. etc. etc. do not apply. It's a fun exercise to make you think about stuff you missed either from childhood or from more recent times, or a nostalgic think-back to places and times you will never revisit again.

Ah, my bad.
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 06:30:35 AM »

Spoiler

Well. Honestly, going back to the 80s wouldn't be /THAT/ hard to blend in.

Spoiler
Cellphones >  would be borderline useless because there are no towers or gps. Don't need this.
Photos > Use film
Side note, Going back to shoot discontinued film would be fantastic. :heart:
Words > I'm not sure what I say that is "new" slang. Like? Cool? Totally? Whatever? For sure? (Maybe those might be 90s? Or maybe it'd be weird for someone in their 30s to say) --- "No worries" is the only thing I can think of...
Vaping> Pick up a cig instead.
Clothes > Easily can pick up some clothes these days that look fine in the 80s. levis, chucks, baggie shirt.
Mail orders > just get a p.o.box-- not a big deal? :P time travel the 6-8p weeks so you don't have to wait.

BONUS > Anyone who had a "key plan" growing up can get into their childhood home. lol.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:38:03 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Littlesparklepony

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 11:36:53 AM »
I would definitely go back to the 80´s and visit my favourite Toy store by then and grab a lot of G1 ponies. And Strawberry shortcake, and Little Twin stars items. Maybe some Forest families (sylvanian) too.  :)

I would also visit my favourite Candy store and grab a lot of candy that´s not in the store anymore and icecream!  :biggrin:

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »
Besides the obvious, I would like to go back about ten, fifteen years in time so I could buy tons of Choco Swing minis from Milka. :P Seriously, Choco Swing still exists as a chocolate bar, but they changed it, and the minis were soooo good... I loved to eat the chocolate off first, and then eat the biscuit with the white milky stuff last. I miss it. :cry:

He knows that they're the fool...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal