collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A pony you wanted for ages that didn't meet your expectations?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
Re: A pony you wanted for ages that didn't meet your expectations?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
When I was maybe 7 or 8 I wanted Up UP & Away more than anything!  On the commercials it always looked like she had gorgeous creamy white hair, like a palomino, so that's what I thought she'd look like when I got her.  But alas she had pink hair, and I never loved her after that.

I just got a replacement for my old Up Up and Away, her hair is faded to white, and she is just gorgeous that way! She came with Dancing Butterflies, who is my "didn't meet my expectations" pony. She's beautiful and everything, but I just can't get over her pose. It's too rickety, she falls over all the time. (Not that I have a shelf yet, but still.) And she has a really  l o n g  face. She's still a welcome part of the herd, but yeah, she just didn't thrill me as much as I expected.
I'll put something here some time

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
Oh yes singpony is exactly right - happens all the time...

I think for me my most "oh so thats it?" moment was Honeycomb...I was so keen to get her loved the symbols, the fact she is from one of my fav sets and then I was like "meh....you are just Surprise with a different outfit on"...still not a massive fan if I am honest.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
Gypsy.

When I first got into collecting I wanted her so bad. I spent about $16 on her (which at the time was a very expensive pony, lol) and when I had her in my hands I just... there was something about her I didn't like. Now I know it's her pose *ducks fakies* :P

I think that pose looks awesome for photos and whatnot but on the shelf the poor girl looks in pain, you can't see her face, it's just awkward. I LOVE her colors and symbol and freckles, but that pose makes me love her a little less :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Sternenstaub

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
This is known as "the thrill of the hunt". Once the pony 'trophy' reaches our hands, the desire dies off and we put it aside to begin the cycle all over again. This is the curse of collecting collectibles  :(
I know what you mean, I desire to get a new pony every day because once I get one, after like 5 minutes I'm like "Okay, I waited months to get her...now who do I need?"

Exactly my thoughts!!
I'm always happy when I get in new ponies and I'm more then excited when rarer ones are on the way to me...but then I keep my eyes out for the next one...

Offline flowersinherhair

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
Yup, this happened to me with MGR Brilliant Blossoms. A childhood friend had her, so I had strong nostalgic feelings about her, and I loved her blue body with yellow hair. But when I actually bought her, I couldn't stand the hearts and flowers on her saddle or her clumsy pose (I usually love the Tootsie pose, actually, but the MGR version is distorted in a way I don't like). It's so weird how different ponies can seem in photos vs real life!

More often, I've had the opposite happen, where I ended up being very fond of ponies in person that I hadn't cared for in pictures!

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »

This happened to me with German Nightlight. I'd coveted her since I started collecting and then when I got her I just thought "sure you're pretty, but now you're here, you're not all that"

I've since changed my mind and I absolutely adore her :silly:

Damn.  I was going to tell you to send her to me!  Lol.

I can't say that has ever happened to me, that I remember, but I really don't but many ponies for myself anymore.  Nightlight is my grail too, so I hope that doesn't happen to me!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »
I remember not being too thrilled with Sunbeam.  I loved her in photos, loved her colors but when I got her something didn't sit well with me.  I think it was her pose.  I ended up selling her and I hope she's happy in her new home.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Ren-Ren

• Trade Count: (+237)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://renren-1.livejournal.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »
Not sure if this counts but I was HUGELY disappointed by the G1 birthday twins Baby Sugarcake and Baby Gametime because according to the MO pamphlet they were supposed to be boys, but when they showed up they were GIRLS!  :enraged: :enraged: 

Lucky Stallion and Clipper were SO excited to have new friends coming, so we were all pretty devastated by it ^^;

I also thought that I would like the white FS Celestia more than I actually do. Luckily I got her straight from TB, so I didn't spend too much on her.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:40:08 PM by Ren-Ren »
Thanks to Calico Star for my siggy! <3 (deleted cause photobucket)
*** My Sales Page*** My Little Pink Pony Loves MMA***

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 01:57:48 AM »
Banditpony, yeah getting a pony that was in much worse condition than expected, that's gotta suck! I did that with Starry Wings... she was in a lot and looked nice but the photo was small and I couldn't see the frizzy hair and that one wing was taped on!! I just couldn't get happy with her so I upgraded; the upgrade arrived yesterday and she's stunning :biggrin:

Singpony, you definitely hit the nail on the head there! I'm just glad that I did grow to love my Nightlight as much as I anticipated I would before I got her :)

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 03:21:20 AM »
it doesnt happen to me often at all, in fact at the moment I am in love with every pony I get even ones I thought I didn't like or haven't like in the past. However I received baby count a lot and wasnt impressed, I didnt know she had freckles and I just dont think they suit, I am considering wiping them off with acetone cause I think she will look better

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 05:17:20 AM »
Twilight.  I searched on ebay for ages until I found a decent one for a reasonable price.  Then, the stupid post office mis-delivered the package, and it went all the way back to the seller before coming to me.  When I finally got it, I hadn't realized there had been quite so much glitter loss as there was.  I still love her, though.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 05:27:43 AM »
Oh SarahBee, Starry Wings is such a beauty!  I hope you're happy with your replacement upgrade!  Poor sad little manky Starry, you should make her over:)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal