collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did I ruin my Nirvana permanently? :(  (Read 1762 times)

Offline CrashieCorbashie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
Did I ruin my Nirvana permanently? :(
« on: November 18, 2022, 03:57:45 PM »
So...
https://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=402815.msg1871719#msg1871719
here's a post I made like 9 months ago. My restoration journey went well.. or so I thought.
For starters, I decided to use hydrogen peroxide (picture 1 for brand) to clean up her pink marker stains and yellowness. It worked great, the pinkness started to fade away nicely, especially on the eyes. Little did I know it can cause long term effects on a pony that isn't white.. I had not realized that and I did not think that could happen, I thought that if the pony is made from blue plastic it's only going to remove the external oils that made the pony yellow.. turns out it decided to eat through the blueness in places I used the peroxide on, some much more visibly than others. I did most of the treatment like 5 months ago and then I stopped for a couple of months because I didn't have motivation to work on it. She was cleaned up from remaining peroxide from her last treatment thoroughly and I left her in the UV box I used to treat her in (I don't get a lot of sunlight), the light was of course turned off, there was nothing that could damage her. Today I open the box and she has those white stains all over her. Is there anything I can even to do fix her? I thought about dying but I have no experience with that and finding a matching color would be impossible, plus the parts that ARE blue would darken as well, wouldn't they? So I guess my only option now is airbrush her to match the rest of her body and then use mr super clear and varnish so the paint doesn't chip off, but I don't know if it will transition well enough onto the plastic, the leg area concerns me the most here... Is there actually any sensible way to fix her? I feel really bad about ruining her since she's rare, I really did not think that could happen and throughout my research I didn't see any possible bad results from using this method to get rid of the yellowness. I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:59:25 PM by CrashieCorbashie »

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Did I ruin my Nirvana permanently? :(
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 05:42:53 PM »
Oh no!! This is so sad to read, especially on an expensive pony! I’ve heard folks recommending developing cream because it’s safer than acne cream.. but maybe that is not the case. I hope we will see some happy updates, because I do not know what you could do to fix it, aside from redying or paint. 😢
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 07:03:04 AM »
and this is why it's better to leave some things alone....  strong chemicals totally can do this! 
the pony looked a little loved before, but that's normal in plastic toys that are 30+ years old.  you cant expect to return them to brand new condition
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 04:36:02 PM »
Oh no, I am sorry this has happened to you :( You have to be so careful with chemical, I learnt that hard way too with OxyClean and Removezit/spot cream. I think some Nirvana ponies have a different composition of vinyl and will react different compared to Hong Kong or made ponies when it comes to using chemicals on them.

I would give her a really god scrub in hot water to make sure all the chemicals have been removed. I would keep her away from your other ponies as sometimes a residue is left and can be transferred onto a pony stood next to them.

If she was mine, I would get my airbrush out and cover up her bleached areas with a pretty gradient and re-hair her.

Please don't beat yourself up over this, it happens, we have all done it at some point :hug:

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 06:02:26 PM »
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear about this. :( I tried looking up more detailed ingredients for your cream, and I can't find any. It just says "4 activating creams", how strange.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 12:34:49 AM »
I'm sorry that this happened :/

I think it's a good rule of thumb not to use any chemicals on a pony at this stage in its life. The thing is that people hailed the removezit type creams until they discovered years later that it could do damage. It's impossible to know (and you shouldn't blame yourself) ahead of time what a long term impact might be on a chemical that hasn't yet been flagged up by the community.

The older the ponies become, the more the plastic also ages and potentially changes. What might have been stable and fine previously might not be now (and the different manufacture can also apparently have an impact).

It's made me uneasy for a long time that people still so liberally use chemicals like this on ponies when we don't know the long term risks.  I am so sorry that you had this experience with your starflower :(
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 10:24:24 AM »
Ouch, I'm so sorry this happened. I think it's good though that you've shared the whole story so someone else can hopefully avoid the same situation. I don't have anything technical to add to what others have already said, but there is some dated information online and it seems to perpetuate rumours about treatments that can hurt the plastics in the long term. I've also seen delayed damage in the fairly short-term as well, inside a month or two. Conservation of plastics is a really interesting field and I've written about it a lot on here in the past.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Shadowperla

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 12:38:57 PM »
She is still very cute!

Offline CrashieCorbashie

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 11:08:13 AM »
Thank you all for the responses <3 It lifted me up. My current plan is to build up color on the white marks using many layers of pastels and mr super clear in between each layer. I think this way it will be the most efficient to mix in the pastel color with her body color, as pastels are great for gradients. Paint (and its texture) would make it too obvious where I used it on I think. I will update you all once I get started with the fixing process. For now she was thoroughly cleaned up using dish soap and hot water (a second time) as you guys suggested.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal