collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Newbie eBay seller question: Missing package?  (Read 680 times)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Newbie eBay seller question: Missing package?
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:20:13 AM »
Hi guys! I scoured the eBay 'seller's guide' but couldn't find an answer to my question, so I hoped you all might have more in-depth, anecdotal evidence from your own selling careers!

Here is my pickle: I sold something on eBay for the first time, and it told to a fellow in the Netherlands. I only charged $5 for shipping (it's a trading card), and the cheapest method to ship to the Netherlands was $3. Sounds good right? Well, the cheapest shipping, as we all know, doesn't include tracking, and it also doesn't include insurance. (Which I forgot, since I'm used to a certain amount of insurance being included with domestic packages!) So, since I didn't want to be out of pocket for the $30 that it would have cost to ship it with insurance, I just sent it for $3, and took a risk.

So, with all of this in mind, what's going to happen if my buyer claims he 'never received' my card? (Since, let's face it, fraud on eBay is way too easy now, with their heavily pro-buyer stance!) I have the receipt and the copy of the customs form I had to put on the package (his address, my address etc.), but if it doesn't include tracking/insurance, I'm not sure that they'll side with me. Has this ever happened to you? How did it work out? Am I totally going to be regretting my decision in a few weeks? :P Thanks for the help!!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie eBay seller question: Missing package?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:25:26 AM »
How much did for the card sell for?  I guess worst case you would have to refund his money but let's hope it arrives and everyone is happy!

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:08:18 AM »
How much did for the card sell for?  I guess worst case you would have to refund his money but let's hope it arrives and everyone is happy!

He ended up doing the 'buy it now' for $90!! :faint: I didn't expect it to sell for that much, it was more of a 'hoping someone has more money than they know what to do with' type of thing. But I guess it was a hard card to get in the Netherlands, so he didn't want to risk losing it? I don't blame him for it, but now I'm all anxious about it arriving safely. :yikes:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:48:59 AM »

He ended up doing the 'buy it now' for $90!! :faint: I didn't expect it to sell for that much, it was more of a 'hoping someone has more money than they know what to do with' type of thing. But I guess it was a hard card to get in the Netherlands, so he didn't want to risk losing it? I don't blame him for it, but now I'm all anxious about it arriving safely. :yikes:

The receipt and all is usually good enough for most people (I try not to use tracking when buying stuff as the post company here rarely scan it), especially if you have good feedback and all. It might sit in NE customs for a long time, though. I have a friend there and most of her stuff coming from outside the EU sits in customs for at least 2 weeks. If it was over $90 then it'll be liable for customs charging and might take longer to get to him.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:22:56 AM »
When did you post the card? if you put the correct value on the customs form then its very likely that it will get held in customs until your buyer pays some fees  (us UK and  Euro peeps get hit hard by customs :yikes: ). It may take 3 weeks or more.. 
If the buyer is concerned then you can show him the receipt and customs form as proof - some buyers are happy with this - but if he does open an item not received case then ebay will make you refund him since you do not have tracking etc. Hopefully it wont come to that though and the card will arrive safely soon
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 06:41:54 AM »
 :hug: Snap.

I am sure you have nothing to worry about. But in the event that you do I would make sure you keep good communications with your buyer and show proof of shipment.  If you printed your label through ebay your info should already be there for you. And the buyer will also see this in their sales record.

The thing is most overseas buyers already know or should know the time frame for which an item should arrive.  And also know they are subjected to customs fee's.  Plus like I have said a hundred times it is very rare a package goes missing, delayed extremely yes, missing no.

Also ebay has made lots of changes concerning being a seller.  We have alot more protection than we used to in the event a problem should occur like this.  They have actually made it alot harder for someone to scam you out of your items and money.

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
I wanted to suggest if this happens again to send it registered mail. I just learned all about the value of this way of shipping and its less than express and it offers tracking.  Its about 12.50 but its worth it for expensive items.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I really appreciate it, and I am both terrified and relieved. I totally forgot about the customs charge - gasp! I hope my buyer will not be unpleasantly surprised! :( On one hand I would be peeved if I bought an item only to have to pay even MORE for it, but on the other hand I don't know if I'd feel okay about lying on a customs form, either!

But hopefully my buyer will be familiar with buying from the US, so let's hope everything goes smoothly! No need to worry about things that haven't happened yet!

(And don't think I forgot you, Ponylady! Mwah! :hug: )

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »
Ebay policy states that sellers are responsible for the parcel until it arrives to the buyer - this means that they will refund the buyer his money if he opens a claim and you don't have a tracking/DC # to back your side.  A receipt scan is not sufficient.  Read the fine print about the Buyer Protection Guarantee on Ebay...  I think it explains everything in there. 

Always ship with tracking and insurance...  unless you can drive the item over to the buyer cheaper yourself!  ;) 

Besides....  Think of the trading card like a $100 bill.  Damage can easily occur in the postal system...  I hope it's securely wrapped in a sleeve and with cardboard inserts... 

Oh!  And if you wrote the value on the customs form he will likely be charged customs fees so hopefully the buyer is aware of that.

*crosses hooves it arrives quickly*
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:52:52 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I really appreciate it, and I am both terrified and relieved. I totally forgot about the customs charge - gasp! I hope my buyer will not be unpleasantly surprised! :( On one hand I would be peeved if I bought an item only to have to pay even MORE for it, but on the other hand I don't know if I'd feel okay about lying on a customs form, either!

But hopefully my buyer will be familiar with buying from the US, so let's hope everything goes smoothly! No need to worry about things that haven't happened yet!

(And don't think I forgot you, Ponylady! Mwah! :hug: )

I imagine he's familiar with it :) It sucks big time having to pay around 50% extra on stuff but oh well :( Devaluing on a customs form is illegal (though a LOT of ebay sellers do do this even without being asked) and means any insurance will only pay for the amount stated on the form.

But yeah, don't worry, it'll be fine I'm sure :) I'm going to assume you used First Class USPS? I've never had any issues with it, and find it to be pretty good value for money. Cheap, fast, and I've never had anything arrive damaged. Did you reinforce the envelope with card, or put the card in a protective case, by the way?
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 05:26:45 PM »
Ahh, that's what I was afraid of, Lovesbabysquirmy! :yikes: Well, live and learn, I guess! I will know to include the more accurate shipping cost in my next auction! But I hope it arrives safely too, so let's all cross our hooves!

But yes, thanks for the heads-up on the shipping, LBS and CupidStrikes! I went out and bought special hard plastic card protectors (very sturdy!), and put it into a ziploc baggie before I put it into the padded envelope! I figured, if the hard plastic case kept it from getting bent, then the baggie would keep it dry! I might add in cardboard inserts as well next time, just for the extra layer of protection! Can't hurt, you know?

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
:( On one hand I would be peeved if I bought an item only to have to pay even MORE for it, but on the other hand I don't know if I'd feel okay about lying on a customs form, either!
We're used to it! On ebay I bid expecting the item to be marked correctly, knowing what I'll have to pay once it arrives. I just don't like people marking the wrong value like I paid $30 on the item price and they put $60 on the slip.

But yes, thanks for the heads-up on the shipping, LBS and CupidStrikes! I went out and bought special hard plastic card protectors (very sturdy!), and put it into a ziploc baggie before I put it into the padded envelope! I figured, if the hard plastic case kept it from getting bent, then the baggie would keep it dry! I might add in cardboard inserts as well next time, just for the extra layer of protection! Can't hurt, you know?
Yep, cut up corrugate from boxes sandwiched over the toploader helps cards. :) My dad collected sports cards for years, and when he got special cards direct from the companies they'd send them in a soft sleeve inside a top loader then sandwiched between heavy card. Inside a bubble envelope with a "do not bend" sticker or label.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal