collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Again Hasbro is Doing a Fan Built OC - but not MLP - Transformers  (Read 3483 times)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: Again Hasbro is Doing a Fan Built OC - but not MLP - Transformers
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »
I guess I'm glad that I'm not at all involved in the brony fan community. I didn't even know that all of these "inappropriate" characters existed. :/ Though I looked up Little Pip because I am a fan of the Fallout games and I didn't see anything really weird? I guess? I mean, Fallout is rated M, so that would disqualify her there, and there are always actual copyright issues to consider...

Also, what ever happened to companies NOT doing exactly what the fans wanted specifically so they could avoid potential copyright issues and/or controversies? Hasbro has done a lot of pandering to a specific fan crowd in their MLP show, even if they aren't creating OC toys...

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
To actually no surprise to anyone ... They Announced the Official Fan Built Transformers OC is Female, actually a set of combining Female transformers that form "Victorion"

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/fan-built-combiner-name-and-gender-revealed-182544/

Sign.. it's sort of lemon juice in my cuts...  not only do TF fans get official OCs, they turn out to be female.   

Does that mean official MLP OCs...would end up being male?  if Hasbro ever deigned to offer it.

To be fair, though, MLP currently has MUCH more male representation than Transformers has female representation.  Maybe not a lot of G4 brushables are boys, but a significant percentage of cartoon-ponies are boys, plus a fair amount of blind bags. 

Whereas in the IDW comics they have barely ended their silly "Transformers are all genderless even though they sound and look like dudes, but if they WERE girls, it would be because they were TORTURED into being one and also the torture would make other TFs refer to her as 'she' somehow???"

Transformers needed this more is what I'm saying.

Edit:  About Pip, there's nothing inappropriate about her design, but the fanfic she stars in is a hardcore futurustic dystopia and there's a lot of death and mature themes in it.  As I said, I actually liked the fanfic (don't think I'll ever read it again though--too long) but it just wouldn't be appropriate to basically "advertise" a M rated fanfic by choosing her as an OC.

(Also her colorscheme is ugly, just sayin'.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:44:03 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »
To actually no surprise to anyone ... They Announced the Official Fan Built Transformers OC is Female, actually a set of combining Female transformers that form "Victorion"

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/fan-built-combiner-name-and-gender-revealed-182544/

Sign.. it's sort of lemon juice in my cuts...  not only do TF fans get official OCs, they turn out to be female.   

Does that mean official MLP OCs...would end up being male?  if Hasbro ever deigned to offer it.

To be fair, though, MLP currently has MUCH more male representation than Transformers has female representation.  Maybe not a lot of G4 brushables are boys, but a significant percentage of cartoon-ponies are boys, plus a fair amount of blind bags. 

Whereas in the IDW comics they have barely ended their silly "Transformers are all genderless even though they sound and look like dudes, but if they WERE girls, it would be because they were TORTURED into being one and also the torture would make other TFs refer to her as 'she' somehow???"

Transformers needed this more is what I'm saying.

I definitely agree here. MLP used to have very few male characters back in the day, but now the show at least has a reasonable representation of society. Transformers really don't have many female characters, so making just another male character would be pointless.

Post Merge: April 23, 2015, 12:49:05 PM

Edit:  About Pip, there's nothing inappropriate about her design, but the fanfic she stars in is a hardcore futurustic dystopia and there's a lot of death and mature themes in it.  As I said, I actually liked the fanfic (don't think I'll ever read it again though--too long) but it just wouldn't be appropriate to basically "advertise" a M rated fanfic by choosing her as an OC.

(Also her colorscheme is ugly, just sayin'.)

Well, her fanfic is based on two series': MLP and Fallout. So there would be no way Hasbro could do anything with her, considering her origins would be based on two different copyrights.

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 01:16:18 PM »

Could it really be considered and "OC" if it's created officially? "OC" has basically been absorbed as a catch-all term now but typically isn't the term used to refer to characters created by fans that aren't a part of the official media? Sure the TFs are "fan-built" but other than a few options chosen from a poll fans really don't have much of a say in the matter. We get to choose the most basic of elements and that's about it. It's not like the fandom is submitting our own designs in for Hasbro to pick and choose from. I'm sure they already have all sorts of potential outcomes already drawn up and most likely even a toy designs (at least on paper anyway) for all of the potential outcomes.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:17:54 PM by Shimmer Mist »

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 03:04:03 PM »
I guess not "OC", but the bottom line for me is that Hasbro doesn't do this for MLP fans.  We don't get to participate in a voting game to help build a new MLP Princess or something fun.  I wish they'd treat MLP with a little more internal seriousness. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal