collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do they feel about your collection?

Don't mind - indifferent
Support it!
Judge you/ Ridicule you
Dislike it but don't comment much on it
Help you add to your collection!

Author Topic: What's your friends' and family's opinion on pony collecting?  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Pinkie-kitty

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • G3 is my favorite<3
    • View Profile
What's your friends' and family's opinion on pony collecting?
« on: January 29, 2017, 02:16:03 AM »
So I'm curious!

I'm about half and half. My mom totally supports my pony collecting because she knows how much joy it brings me and that it brought me out of a deep depression. She even purchases ponies for me here and there and goes pony hunting for me. But the rest of my family judges me and thinks I'm "too old" for it. As for my friends, I don't bother mentioning it out of fear I'll be ridiculed  :lookround:

What about everyone else? Share your stories- good and bad!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:43:45 AM by Pinkie-kitty »

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
Re: What's your friends' and family's opinion on pony collecting?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:22:37 AM »
My family judges, most of them think I am insane or/and a psycho for still having toys. Some where fine with it years ago and even bought ponies for me but with time going by they have moved from "its cool" to "you must be insane for still wanting toys". Well, some (including my husband and my in-laws and my aunt) try not to show it and give their best not to talk mean to me about it. My husband sometimes gets me plushies lately (my new obsession I guess) and does not mind me buying, which is nice and I appreciate it a lot.
I though guess im pretty embarassing for my family for not having "more adult hobbies" and I feel sorry for that sometimes. (Im fully aware of them trying to push me more into arts and crafts so I can "forget" the ponies...).

When it comes to other people... I almost never ever tell my contacts that (and what) I collect.
Last time I did, they made fun of me and told people how weird I was behind my back while telling me "this hobby was totally fine to them".
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:28:11 AM by Einhornbaby »

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 04:39:04 AM »
My parents (who I still live with), have different opinions. My mum really hates my ponies and other toy collections and the money I spend on them, but since it's my own money and I keep them in my room, she can't really stop me. She doesn't make fun of my ponies, but often tells me that "don't I have enough" and "where am I going to put any more?". My dad doesn't really care and has his own interests so doesn't see a problem with mine.
My two aunties who I'm close to like the ponies and sometimes buy me new ones for my birthday/christmas.

Offline Strandperle

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:44:40 AM »
My partner supports it and buys me ponies from time to time (most of the time for Christmas when he doesn't know what else to give to me :D).
My parents and brother think it is a cute hobby and they go pony-hunting with me too. My few close friends accept it as part of who I am. My best friend once gave me all her childhood ponies :)
My partner's family seem to be positive about it, especially his little sister :)
I showed some people at work my collection homepage to see the reactions xD some were pretty shocked and I guess they don't think of me as a "normal" person anymore :D
I honestly don't care about what they think of me and if they think that it is a ridiculous hobby or something. Many of my ponies have been a part of my life for a longer time than any of my coworkers!
Loving cute little colorful plastic horses is a part of me, of who I am. I protect my inner child, as I think it is a precious gift to be able to value beautiful, maybe childish things. Who doesn't accept me the way I am can't be an important part of my life.
Thanks to Lina for my avatar!
~My collection & sales homepage~

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:54:43 AM »
My parents don't judge, and they're always looking out for ponies for me when in 2nd hand shops :)
My SO is supportive as well, and has bought me ponies in the past ^^ The only friends who have had anything against my collection (it's very obvious, prime display place in our living room ;) ) aren't my friends anymore xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 05:12:20 AM »
My mom still buys me ponies for Xmas and birthdays, my Roommate comes to the Fair with me every year and gets more excited about second hand pony hunts than I do, and my coworkers have been super interested in my collection and Fair stories, and some have even brought in ponies for me.

Elf

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 05:19:28 AM »
My family are fine with it. All of them have contributed to it at one point or another and my sister collects too, although not actively these days due to space and money concerns. She wanted to go to Ponycon last year but Leeds was too difficult for her to get to - she's still hoping maybe she will this year.

She actually bought me a pony as a good luck charm just this week. So I guess that sums it up for my family.

I don't make a huge deal of it with my friends but I also don't hide it. Most of them know and aren't fussed, and a couple also had ponies growing up and so it becomes a conversation topic at times.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Nesferxty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 05:34:09 AM »
My parents just think it's normal as our whole family are all kids at heart! I've always collected things so they just accept it as part of who I am.

My husband is amazing and helps me add to my collections. He has his own lego/star wars collections too so that helps.

All my friends know I collect toys. Some of my friends also collect so that's fun comparing our collections :)

I enjoy being a big kid and surround myself with other people who do the same!

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 06:43:19 AM »
Friends, family, and even my coworkers are very supportive.

When we were looking at houses two years ago, my husband was aware that I wanted one of the rooms.to display my collection and he was fine with that. So when we decoded on a house, one of the first things I did after moving in was paint one of the guest rooms to be my pony room. During our housewarming party, my husband was actually the one who wanted to show the room off to people. He even contributes to the collection every once in a while. :lol: The rest of my family finds it a little strange, but they've never belittled me for it. My grandma thinks it's neat, haha.

My friends all know about my collection, but are far more interested in my other collections. One of my best friends also collects ponies though, so that's fun.

My coworkers enjoy hearing about and seeing pictures of my pony room.

With all the people that are important to me being receptive of what I collect, I think it's a shame that so many collectors are made to feel negatively about their ponies. It makes me very thankful.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 07:24:07 AM »
Only some of my friends know I have any. They don't seem to mind, and some even said that they're cute. IRL I generally keep my interests to myself, though. Unless I'm speaking with someone that has the same interest as me, I won't bring my interests up. Aside from my love for woodwind instruments, everyone kind of knows that one. lol

My parents do not know because I would be embarrassed for them to know. I was not into MLP as a child, and had stopped even wanting toys before middle school hit. It would probably be a weird conversation that I started collecting them as an adult, especially when my money was supposed to be going elsewhere. I was convinced back in 2014 when I started collecting that I was never going back to school, but my parents were not. Look who turned out being right.  :blink:

|My Collection|

Offline CustomsRfun

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Wanted: MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 07:28:09 AM »
My family doesn't really care.
My boyfriend is a brony and it's the first time ever that i'm allowed to display my collection, not keep it in boxes in the bsement or attic... :) He was until recently looking for a Mimic to add to my collection :)

Some friend think i'm nuts, others are impressed by my dedication.
And others even help me buy ponies in other countries, or bring me some when they find them in yard sales.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:40:04 AM by CustomsRfun »
Open for Customs Commissions :)

LOOKING FOR:
MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »
Hubby doesn't mind them at all, if I'm happy he's happy is his take on them!

His family don't see it as their business, I like/collect ponies, thats fine by them.  My Brother in Law told me of a programme on last year, extreme collections I think it was which featured someone with an enviable pony room!  He also gave a me a MLP card for my birthday. Last year he went to Canada on holiday and I made sure he could recognise a G1 should he happen to see any whilst on his travels - he didn't but had he done then I've no doubt that he would have bought them and brought them back for me.

My Mum doesn't get it at all and makes references to me being too old for them etc, however when my childhood collection was sold, she kept Ice Crystal as she'd always liked him so one one hand I'm pleased as he will be mine again one day but on the other it's a bit one rule for her and another for me!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
Most are indifferent. My daughter collects too, two of my young cousins are enchanted with our collection. My boyfriend tolerates pony talk to an extent, buys them for us and asks us to show him new ones.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:17:01 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »
As I get older and my personal spending changes into "investments" and "assets" rather than CUTE STUFF I BUY CUZ I LIKE IT, my family gets less supportive.  I mean, everyone is cool with keeping my childhood herd, but adding to it.... well, it had better be a special gift from a pony friend! 

They all know I need money for other things (like paying down my debt) so nobody would give me MLP or money to be used on MLP.  Even my husband knows that debt reduction makes me happier than colourful pieces of plastic.  We keep a few shelves of displayables to keep us cheery, but we aren't "collecting" anime figs anymore (used to be 2-5 figs a month coming into the house) and I only add G1s when I find them at thrift stores IF they aren't commons!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
When I was young (ie when G1 was still in stores), my parents and other relatives bought them for me as presents. When I was in my teens, my parents tried to talk me out of my childish collection habits. Once I hit my mid-20's, I think they mostly gave up on trying to change me. They don't give me a hard time about it, but they don't add to it, either. All things considered, that's probably for the best, because they'd have to use eBay and prices for the ponies I still need are out of normal present ranges.

My best friend supports me (she's got her own childhood collection still) and the rest of my friends are aware of my hobby, but they would have absolutely no clue how to go about adding to it.

I'm not sure if any of the poll questions match the situation of "probably judge me but have given up on changing me and won't add to my collection, which is for the best because they wouldn't know what to buy anyway".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal