collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Heya!  (Read 466 times)

AfroThunder

• Trade Count: (0)
Heya!
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:49:51 PM »
Hi all! 

First off, thank you for allowing me to join.  This looks like a pretty fun place to hang out!

I go by the handle AfroThunder (Ms. Jackson if you're nasty…major props to those who get that reference).  I'm a big fan of the MLP:FIM series, but being an 80s kid I have a few of the classic MLP Gen 1 ponies that were bought for me (they ended up being the magical mounts for my He-Man figures).  I still have them to this day, kept safely with my collection of favorite toys that I just couldn't bear to part with.

A little about myself--I'm an illustrator with a die-hard love for cartoons and animation.  I've been drawing since I was old enough to hold a crayon and, according to my mother, my first sketchbook was a first-print copy of the original Where the Wild Things Are (at three years old I tried to draw the monsters in the story on the actual pages, lol). 

How does this relate to ponies, you may ask? 

Well, for about two years I was in an artistic slump.  I'd been sick with an ongoing stomach problem that took a lot of energy out of me--physical, emotional and spiritual.  Through this I'd also been doing art for things I had no passion for--corporate logos, boring freelance work--and was losing the joy that I once had.  Then one day on a forum I belonged to, I saw a cute, colorful pony character as someone's avatar.  Then another.  And another.  And they began popping on other forums I belonged to.  After finding out that the characters were from the new MLP series, I scratched my head and wondered why the heck was that show so popular that people were changing their long-established faces of the internet-verse into pastel equines? 

After a bit of resistance, my love for cartoons won out and I decided to watch an episode.  Then another.  And another.  And next thing I know, I'm looking up characters, voice actors, downloading songs and breaking out my sketchbook to draw the characters…huh…I broke out my sketchbook. 

After two years, I seriously put pencil to paper and started drawing again.  And I was having fun.  MLP:FIM was the happy, technicolored rain to my creative drought, and the kid in me suddenly remembered how to play in it.  The artistic spark came back and I haven't stopped since.

Since then I've done quite a few fan works for the show--I make "Best Pony" buttons, and I've done posters and art prints which I've sold at several conventions I've attended.  I had the honor of meeting several voice actors, and have even gotten them to sign a few pieces.  My hope is to one day meet the creators (Bonnie Zacherle and Lauren Faust) and give them a hug and/or a handshake, and thank them for the artistic shot to the heart that brought me back.

Wow, this ended up being a bit more wordy than I intended.  I hope that you all don't mind.  And I also hope you don't mind a sarcastic goofball who loves bad jokes and good times.  I may not pop on here too often, but I hope to contribute as much as I can, especially in the art department.  I'm always open for questions, so feel free to ask me anything!

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Heya!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:04:46 AM »
Don't worry, we love long intros!

It's wonderful how the series has helped you, getting artistic spark back is huge! 

Welcome and I hope you like it here! :lovey:

AfroThunder

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 11:02:53 AM »
Thank you!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
:newpony: Welcome to the Arena.  Looking forward to seeing your art in our forums.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »
I love your avatar! Is that your OC? It makes me think of 1970s Pam Grier and I love it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+160)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 12:09:41 AM »
Don't worry, we love long intros!

It's wonderful how the series has helped you, getting artistic spark back is huge! 

Welcome and I hope you like it here! :lovey:

I cannot second this enough!!!

Might have to keep you in mind if you do commissions :)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 02:58:09 PM »
Hi, AfroThunder! Welcome to the Arena!

Thats so great that ponies got you back into art. These days I find myself much happier drawing ponies, but it isn't always good because there are other things I need to be drawing. I'm still trying to learn to balance them. I can't wait to see some of your art around, and I have to say I adore your avatar.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »
Awesome intro! It's really great to get to know people. Your job sounds amazing and creative. I am sure you are going to have a good time here. I hope to see you around the boards.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

AfroThunder

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 10:17:18 PM »
Oh wow, you guys are rad!  Thank you so much for the warm reception. :)

I love your avatar! Is that your OC? It makes me think of 1970s Pam Grier and I love it.
Yep, that's my avatar, and you nailed the influence!  She was inspired by one of my favorite movie genre designs and is an homage to the strong women in them--Pam Grier and Tamara Dobson to name a couple.  Thank you for the kind words!

I cannot second this enough!!!

Might have to keep you in mind if you do commissions
Awesome.  I do offer commissions, although not right now as I'm getting artwork ready for the MLP Fair happening in June.  It's only 20 minutes from where I live, so I applied for a vendor table.  I hope to see you guys there!

Hi, AfroThunder! Welcome to the Arena!

Thats so great that ponies got you back into art. These days I find myself much happier drawing ponies, but it isn't always good because there are other things I need to be drawing. I'm still trying to learn to balance them. I can't wait to see some of your art around, and I have to say I adore your avatar.
Thank you for the welcome and for the compliment!  And when it come to drawing…practice, practice, practice.  Even if you're doing it for fun, find time to doodle a little something everyday.  Draw what you love, what you hate, and everything in between!

Awesome intro! It's really great to get to know people. Your job sounds amazing and creative. I am sure you are going to have a good time here. I hope to see you around the boards.

Thank you!  I love chatting and getting to know people but can't hop on the boards to socialize much, so I end up chat-shotgunning, lol.  My job is pretty good--I get to do something that I love and get paid for it, so that's a pretty sweet deal.  And I'm already having fun by looking through the various topics and especially the art section.  Hopefully I can contribute more, and I'll try to get some art samples up soon.

Again, thanks for the welcome everyone!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:21:07 PM by AfroThunder »

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »
Welcome to the arena :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal