collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Getting back into anime  (Read 1418 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Getting back into anime
« on: October 18, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »
I think I am slowly getting back into anime, thanks to my mom, believe it or not. The bad thing is, anime takes attention away from ponies. XD

But I was wondering what other people here really like anime? What are your favorite series? What are you watching right now?

For those of you that collect, have there been any boys love or bishounen series releases on R1 DVD within the last 3 or so years? I have been completely isolated from the anime world.

But I have to share what me and my mom are watching! I was having a tipsy moment (lol) and I'm like....."Momma, you gotta watch an anime with me for old times sake!"  Now my mom doesn't like anime and has only watched a couple like Fruits Basket and Azumanga Daioh and didn't care for them. But I said "Mom, let's try Kaleido Star on you."  And behold, we're about 1/4th of the way through the series and she is loving it! Its one of my favorites of all time and I am glad to relive it, as I haven't seen it in almost 10 years. I was in high school last time I watched it. I would seriously recommend this anime to anyone. It's like the Circque du Soleil of anime.

Anyone else have any anime they want to recommend? Anyone else like Kaleido Star?
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Getting back into anime
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:07:06 AM »
YAY!!!! Congrats! Omg I have always been an otaku and I love re watching old anime, and there are some good ones out now I recommend...and I'm thinking by memory without looking at my queue...

Sailor Moon Crystal (EPIC!)
Himouto Umaru  (hilarious, relatable. my fav anime atm!)
SNK/Attack on Titan (if you want something serious!)
Jellyfish Princess (I love this one!)
Kashisama Love
Tokyo Mew Mew (my favorite growing up! <3 Ichigo!)
Shin Chan (all adult jokes omg)
Madoka Magica
My Bride is a Mermaid
Wolfs Rain (dark but beautiful!)
FMA and Brotherhood
Yuki Yani is a Hero
Rurouni Kenshin and Samuri X (series, OMA, and live action etc)
Shimoneta "SOX" (very perverted LOL but awesome)
Gurren Laggon (I watch this just to stare at Yoko...)
Zoids
One Piece
Trigun

.....too many more to list O_O
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:15:24 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:41:01 AM »
Im currently waiting for the third season of Sailor moon Crystal to air :)  It will be the Hotaru arc.

From newest to oldest, Aldnoa Zero, Psycho Pass (first season only on both, the second season went downhill for me), Gosick, FMA also come to mind.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »
I also love Sailor Moon. I have the original subbed DVDs released by ADV and Geneon. I'll by Sailor Moon Crystal when it's released on DVD. I am not a big fansub watcher because of my collectors mentality.

I have the Tokyo Mew Mew manga and love it. I wish the anime would have been released uncut in the US instead of the failure Hollywood Mew Mew.

I guess while we are on it, I'll list some of my favorites!

Chobits
Kaleido Star
Fruits Basket
His and Her Circumstances
I My Me Strawberry Eggs
Fulllmetal Alchemist
Maria Watches Over Us
Strawberry Panic
Gravitation
Junjo Romantica
Descendants of Darkness
Kannazuki no Miko
Nightwalker
Kyo Kara Maoh
Elemental Gelade
Steel Angel Kurumi
Saiyuki
High School Girls
Ai Yori Aoshi
X TV
Fushigi Yugi
Black Cat
Boys Over Flowers
Brighter Than the Dawning Blue
Cardcaptor Sakura
Chance Pop Sessions
Death Note
DearS
Dn Angel
Victorian Romanc Emma
Fancy Lala
Gakuen Heaven
Genshiken
Get Backers
Girls Bravo
Haibane Renmei
Green Green
Hell Girl
Hellsing
Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite
Kashimashi
Kino's Journey
Loveless
Marmalade Boy
Mermaid Forest
Midori Days
Mai Hime
Peach Girl
Otoboku
Pretear
Please Teacher
Popotan
Princess Princess
Ranma 1/2
Maison Ikkoku

Just to name a few! I LOVE anime.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:15:23 AM by DazzleKitty »
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
Midori Days

omg, another Midori fan!! I love that anime so much <3

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned, haha. But I also love Ojamajo Doremi (my favourite ever! The dub's terrible, though - another 4Kids failure like Tokyo Mew Mew >__<), Lucky Star and Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku.

Also seconding Madoka Magica!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 02:54:39 PM »
My favorite will always be Hamtaro and I'm currently watching Akame Ga Kill!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 05:31:05 PM »
I adore KaleidoStar and am totally happy to come across another person that has actually watched the series.  :D I had wanted to watch the show for years, even back when it was still airing in Japan, and got lucky when a few years ago, I spotted all of Season 1 for $20 at HalfPrice Books. Fun show to watch, and I love the music in it!

I know one way of getting back into watching anime might be to try a CrunchyRoll account.
Because I was in the same boat a few years ago, and it helped me find shows that I never would have watched otherwise. xD
(Plus it helps that there are a TON of shows you can find on there, both current and older. I like how it has all of CardCaptor Sakura on their site. Among other shows).

As far as BL/ boys love goes, the only one I can think of that has yet to be released on DVD (but is supposed to in the next year) that I watched is Love Stage. That show is pretty fun and cute to watch, and quite funny at times. It also has a manga, and it is currently out in the U.S as well.

I would list all my favorite anime, but it would seriously be a huge "scroll-fest" of a post. xD
One show I watched a few months back is called "Rose of Versailles", which was a series that came out in the 60s/70s (cant remember atm). I really liked that one, and totally reccomend it - it was a very popular series back then (and still has a following), and the female lead Oscar is just amazing and kicks a lot of butt.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 08:40:32 PM »
I've actually been taking a break from ponies to focus on anime recently, and have been really enjoying trying out various anime series.  Right now, I have a few obsessions:

-FLCL
-Samurai Champloo
-Paranoia Agent
-Cowboy Bebop
-Ghost in the Shell
-Durarara!
-Blood+

I have also been trying to catch this new anime that's on Toonami, called Parasyte.  I really would like to stay awake long enough to really be able to focus on it.  I caught bits and pieces of the first episode (I had fallen asleep, but sort of woke up half-way a couple of times to catch a couple of scenes), and it was REALLY bizarre.  I absolutely need to watch  it while fully awake, because I have a feeling I will really enjoy it! 

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 07:06:26 AM »
I LOVE Madoka Magica - it's probably my favorite

I also like:
Fate/Zero
Sword Art Online
Moonphase
Chobits
Black Butler
Spice and Wolf
Claymore
Fairy Tale

...there are more, but it's early and I can't remember.  I am not a HUGE anime watcher, but I'll pick a series on Netflix from time to time and just binge the whole thing, haha.

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Archer

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »
My fave anime is Code Geass and i'd recommend it to anyone. However the ost perfect anime i've ever seen is Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. They get the pacing, the characters, the music, the story everything is just perfect. Even the ending doesn't suck which isn't true for most anime lol XD

Madoka Magica is amazing but i'd highly suggest going into it blind. Don't read anything about it just find the series and start watching :)

Of recent animes i'd suggest Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul. As well as Owari no seraph (it's not amazing but i do like the two main characters XD) If you like bishounen i can highly recommend Cute High Earth Defense Club Love, it has me crying laughing XD It's such an hilarious show. I also really recommend The Devil is a part timer as another comedy one. Some absolute hilarious moments in that :)

There are the two big heavyweights at the moment of Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan but both are really average shows that don't deserve the hype they have. That said the first few episodes of SAO are really enjoyable, it's just the second half of the season that lets it down. AoT has it's moments too but the pacing in it is horrible.

I'll see if i can think of anymore for you ^_^

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:50:08 AM »
Lately I've been watching
Samurai Champloo
Himouto Umaru Chan 
My Love Story *
Fairy Tail

I recently finished

Black Lagoon
Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun (funny) *
School Rumble (2nd time & it's funny)
Oreimo ** (lost count on how many times I've watched it.  It's a favorite though I hate the last episode)
I couldn't become a hero so I reluctantly Decided to get a job
Genshiken 2nd season ** I like this whole series though I wish that they dubbed the last one.

Others I'd recommend based on what you posted are Tamako Market and the K-on! series
I sometimes rewatch stuff to have noise in the background which is why some things have been watched more than a few times.  I've also seen quite a few of the ones mentioned including Kaleido Star which I liked.

Hulu actually has a lot of anime both dubbed and subbed as well as crunchyroll (subs only).  If you want paid sites, each has a paid option, and there's netflix which doesn't have as much as it used to.  Funimation also has it online.

*shoujo
**favorites
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

Offline melodys_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »
I forgot about Cardcaptor Sakura--it was one of my favourites growing up, after Sailor moon.

I actually cant stand code gease.  I gave it 5 or 6 episodes and couldn't watch it anymore (the boys were hoping id get into it like I did FMA).  Didn't really like One Piece or Naruto either.

I liked Inu Yasha but it took forever to complete.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 11:48:39 AM »
I guess you could say I'm a pretty big anime fan.

A few fav's.: (I find I tend towards series that are a little more serious, psychological and often violent but there are many fluffy/silly/feel good ones in the list too. I'm sure I'll forget some really good/important series/movies...and several have already been recommended but...)
Hellsing
Evangelion
Kuroshitsuji (aka Black Butler)
FLCL
No. 6
Tamako Market
Shingeki no Kyojin (aka Attack on Titan)
Baccano!
Summer Wars
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Kids on the Slope
Crayon Shin-Chan
Loveless
Free!
Eve no Jikan
Fractale
Genshiken
Space Dandy
Outlaw Star
Zankyou no Terror
Tokyo Ghoul
Howl's Moving Castle
Only Yesterday
(...and pretty much anything else Studio Ghibli)

Currently watching:
Gangsta

Currently waiting to air/be released:
Bakemono no Ko (aka The Boy and the Beast)
Super Lovers
Free! Starting Days

I'm into BL too but do more reading manga than watching lately. The newest series' I remember watching are Love Stage!!, Hybrid Child and the Dramatical Murder anime (which is not BL itself but based on a yaoi game)

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 12:27:16 PM »
My favs lately are Sword Art Online and Sailor Moon Crystal; I tend to not like anime(or any kind of show) if the main char is either ridiculously silly, or way too serious, and both of these strike a good balance.  For instance, Sailor Moon Crystal still has Usagi as a bit of a cry baby, but it's not as overboard as the earlier ones.  I think the interactions between the characters are a lot more realistic.
Sword Art Online has some really interesting points about behavior of MMORPG players, and how the way they play relates to real life; I'm a sucker for things like that!  I actually like both seasons, but I know a lot of people didn't.  SAOII is a little more disconnected from the first two storylines, but it's the same main character.
I've just started watching Tears to Tiara, so far I'm really enjoying it, but I'm only a few episodes in.
I hear a lot about Attack on Titan, but I just couldn't get into it at all.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
It's been years since I last saw an anime and I feel like I should get back to it, but the time isn't there..

My favorites are:
Hellsing
Death Note
Fate Stay Night
Ragnarök
Witch Hunter Robin
Rosen Maiden
Club-to-death-angel Dokoru Chan

and a couple more I've completley forgotten the name off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal