collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 "Retro" ponies on Target website  (Read 14634 times)

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: G3 "Retro" ponies on Target website
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
It's just odd that they look EXACTLY like the G3's I already own. Like they could be leftovers that some Chinese worker found in a closet in the factory, stashed there 15 years ago. Even the Basic Fun G1's have ways to tell them apart from the original G1 releases, don't they? Slightly different colors, etc.?

They aren't quiiiiite exact. Retro Applejack has her mane in two bi-coloured chunks of green and yellow instead of the original's alternating stripes. Retro Rainbow Dash's mane inexplicably goes pink-green-yellow-orange instead of in proper rainbow order. Retro Fluttershy's body color is more warm-toned than the original. I also feel like they fudged a little bit with the RD/AJ pose, but I can't put my finger on what it is... something about the head seems off, like the chin is too high?

They are very, very close to the originals though, right down to all the little details in their eyes and symbols. Which, ironically, was my first clue that they aren't made by Hasbro. XD It would have been nice to take this opportunity to make them with double-sided symbols, but I suppose that's not authentically cheap. Nice to see they aren't plagued with tinsel so far, though. G3 was absolutely lousy with the stuff, and I'll be glad to see it lost to history. :lol:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »
Oooo good eyes! I guess these are real then, and not some placeholder photos until the actual products are ready. I am so curious about what the packaging will say...
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42, thank you!!!!!!

Haha, "retro" - classic, sure, but retro? C'mon, they're not that old yet! ..r-right?

To be fair, with "retro" I just put that word into the thread title to compare them to Basic Fun's G1 ponies since they're both recreations of past gen ponies. These Target listings don't say retro anywhere. That's why I put it in quotes.

They do when I click on them. Like, Pinkie Pie's page is titled "My Little Pony Retro Classic Generation 3 - Pinkie Pie".

Yeah, that's why I said it. I wasn't getting at you or anything, TBPF42 :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2019, 07:21:04 PM »
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42, thank you!!!!!!

Haha, "retro" - classic, sure, but retro? C'mon, they're not that old yet! ..r-right?

To be fair, with "retro" I just put that word into the thread title to compare them to Basic Fun's G1 ponies since they're both recreations of past gen ponies. These Target listings don't say retro anywhere. That's why I put it in quotes.

They do when I click on them. Like, Pinkie Pie's page is titled "My Little Pony Retro Classic Generation 3 - Pinkie Pie".

Oh, that they do. :P

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »
How fun! I love how they look like the original prototype ponies for g3 that they used for all the promo and marketing images! So shiny!

I’m really hoping for some G2. My favorite after G1!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2019, 09:35:15 PM »
How fun! I love how they look like the original prototype ponies for g3 that they used for all the promo and marketing images! So shiny!

I’m really hoping for some G2. My favorite after G1!

I would love some G2 ones! I'd be great to get some G2s released in the US that weren't originally!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2019, 11:15:16 PM »
Is it just me, or do these “new G3s” have shorter upper lashes? Not to mention their heads turn, which the original releases didn’t do AFAIK. I don’t have a G3 with me right now, so I may be wrong :P
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2019, 11:56:46 PM »
The original G3s definitely didn't have turning heads.  (They did add that feature mid-way through the gen though.)  I used to customize them and my god, the amount of effort it took to get their heads off--!  I don't know what kind of glue they used, but it had an incredible hold.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2019, 12:04:53 AM »
Isn't there a pack of the core six that's a mix of Hasbro era and Basic Fun retro mashed with G4?  Was thinking I'd find those but single packed. Hopefully, these are what the photos are showing and no bait (ha!) and switch. Have been boots on the ground since G3 debuted, get off my lawn kids.! :lol:

Given I missed out on Fluttershy and AJ in G3 and if these are what's being shown: give me! Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't current Fluttershy called something else during G3? This particular coloring and marking reminded me of someone else. Or maybe I'm just getting old. ^.^

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2019, 12:11:13 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't current Fluttershy called something else during G3? This particular coloring and marking reminded me of someone else. Or maybe I'm just getting old. ^.^

Current Fluttershy - as in that design - doesn't exist in G3. I have this feeling Avalonia had butterflies as a symbol though, and was a pegasus (but she's pink).

Though in a way G4 Fluttershy seems more like a dumbing down of Dancing Butterflies crossed with Posey :/

The pose for AJ and Dash bothers me too in those images, since it's been turned forward.

It's all very strange and weird. But strangest and weirdest that if you're going to go this far, you'd think you'd get Rarity and *something* (probably Twilight Twinkle) for Twilight Sparkle as well.

Hasbro are the ones fixated on the M6 so any other company would have to be directed towards producing the ponies that they took M6 names for. But I guess we'll see when someone finds them in store.

Aren't G3 the generation that is most not liked by G4 fans, though? I wonder how it will work out.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2019, 12:42:11 AM »
Honestly, I'm just glad they didn't decide to remake Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Cheerilee. (...yet? :yikes:) The thought of Core Seven returning from the grave in response to M6 angst is like some sort of horrible monkey's paw scenario.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2019, 12:52:22 AM »
I don't have words for how confused I am.

I won't lie, if the packaging is cool or interesting I'll probably grab at least one. I missed basically all of the BF G1s because of Life Reasons so I won't let the G3s pass me by if they're cool. But I still just... don't understand where its coming from.

The main six don't really appeal to me, especially as G3s, so hopefully if this line continues they bring out some of the more interesting G3s. I would buy Waterfire in a heartbeat.

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2019, 12:57:21 AM »
Honestly, I'm just glad they didn't decide to remake Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Cheerilee. (...yet? :yikes:) The thought of Core Seven returning from the grave in response to M6 angst is like some sort of horrible monkey's paw scenario.
“We don’t want Mane 6 anymore!”
“Fine, go and play with you shiny new Core 7 pony then” :P
That would really suck.

The original G3s definitely didn't have turning heads.  (They did add that feature mid-way through the gen though.)  I used to customize them and my god, the amount of effort it took to get their heads off--!  I don't know what kind of glue they used, but it had an incredible hold.
Wish they released the name of the glue. Super glue is WEAK compared to the pony stuff  :lol:
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2019, 01:05:30 AM »
No, the Fluttershy pictured made is definitely G3 Fluttershy. The yellow/pink design was made for G4.

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2019, 03:13:33 AM »
Retro? G3? ?? Okay, cool   :lol:

But, please don't skip G2! :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal