collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Media Retrospective: My Little Pony: The Movie  (Read 9258 times)

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Media Retrospective: My Little Pony: The Movie
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »
Please, post a picture of that fakie.  :P

From the fakie thread:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:lol:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2018, 06:42:07 AM »
WOW, she is a dead ringer!   :happy:
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2018, 06:52:57 AM »
When the TE ponies have actual gem eyes with the twinkling, you can also tell the animation in general has better quality.  Really, it's like Toei was halfway done with the movie and they suddenly decided to take it over to Korea to have AKOM do the rest because they could do it faster and cheaper.  The parts animated by AKOM were also where you were more likely to see coloring errors or wrong lips moving.

I can kind of see what you mean. For example at the near end, right after Sweet Stuff has been de-smoozed, the close up-shot where Molly hugs her and her eye sparkles looks very good, almost out of place with the rest. However, I still think Akom animated that. It just happens to be one of their better shots (and there's very little movement there, so not much to mess up on). Everything before and after that shot has the Akom look, and I doubt they would have Toei step in to do just that one shot in the middle of a longer sequence.

I'm still of the opinion that Toei only did the witches' scenes. Akom animated the witches only when they were in scenes together with the ponies, and it's in those scenes it becomes apparent that the animation studio has switched. Not just in the way the witches are drawn, but also how the movement looks. That might have been a deliberate choice, because it was deemed more important that the ponies looked "consistent" than the witches. In the "Nothing can stop the Smooze" song sequence, which I'm very sure is animated by Toei, you strangely barely see any ponies. You mostly see animals and bushwoolies fleeing from the smooze. You do get a few brief glimpses of ponies, like Lofty saving a rabbit at the end. I do think they kind of differ from what they look like in the rest of the movie

Not the best comparison, but:

Also note Akom's thinner/softer outlines are still very visible here. It kind of looks like they used brown outlines, while Toei's are black. The Lofty on the right also reminds me more of how the ponies looked in Escape from Catrina.

(I feel like I'm entering dangerously high nerd levels here, but I love animation! Especially the Toei-animated MLP stuff! :lol:)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:01:25 AM by SpikeTheDragon »

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2018, 07:20:07 AM »
Another thing I like is that when the flutter ponies fly they move their legs and not just their wings. I guess it helps them maintain the momentum to fly since they’re so small.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »
I genuinely didn't know Toei were involved in this. Having had to study more than my fair share of their film stuff, that's oddly appropriate.

I also never thought about the fact that many of the ponies get sidelined from a film that is essentially meant to market them (although maybe not so much in the US as the UK and Europe, I mean, they actively made certain characters here to go alongside the movie release because they didn't already exist). If I am right that MLP did not air on TV in the UK, the movie would've been the big media explosee of the characters - but those ponies are pretty common all the same. I can only think it's down to the comic and the really vivid artwork on the cards rather than the movie...which let the ponies down wholesale.

MIND YOU. I am imagining the next one of these threads will be End of FV. And in comparison to that, the Movie is amazing ><.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
I genuinely didn't know Toei were involved in this. Having had to study more than my fair share of their film stuff, that's oddly appropriate.

I also never thought about the fact that many of the ponies get sidelined from a film that is essentially meant to market them (although maybe not so much in the US as the UK and Europe, I mean, they actively made certain characters here to go alongside the movie release because they didn't already exist). If I am right that MLP did not air on TV in the UK, the movie would've been the big media explosee of the characters - but those ponies are pretty common all the same. I can only think it's down to the comic and the really vivid artwork on the cards rather than the movie...which let the ponies down wholesale.

MIND YOU. I am imagining the next one of these threads will be End of FV. And in comparison to that, the Movie is amazing ><.

Ooh. I'm not looking forward to that. It dragged on and on and ooooonnn... :hot:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »

Ooh. I'm not looking forward to that. It dragged on and on and ooooonnn... :hot:

Ironic for a film with 'end' in the title, as it seemed to never end.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »
I’m looking forward to the “End of Flutter Valley” dicussion just because I have so much to say about it, but most of it won’t  be positive.  :lol:

Ponyfan

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2018, 01:17:06 PM »

Ironic for a film with 'end' in the title, as it seemed to never end.

Tell me about it.

*raises hand* Bekuno,  are we eventually gonna do Tales too? Or is this just MLP n Friends.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2018, 01:20:05 PM »
I’m looking forward to the “End of Flutter Valley” dicussion just because I have so much to say about it, but most of it won’t  be positive.  :lol:

Ponyfan

I literally remember nothing about the plot, except that it went round in more repetitive cycles than your average Korean drama...

Oh, I remember it had something to do with a sunstone. I think that's it.

I really hope we get to do MLP Tales O.o. I would so re-watch those for that discussion.

Also looking forward to my childhood episodes that I watched to death, Ice Cream Wars and Revolt of PE...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
There’s one part where all of the main characters are captured and they escape only to get recaptured at the end of that part.

I also hope we get to do Tales discussions. :)

Ponyfan

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »
Also looking forward to my childhood episodes that I watched to death, Ice Cream Wars and Revolt of PE...

It's funny that I never seen Ice Cream Wars until early 2000's, so I don't get the nostalgic feeling from it XD

I guess I'm going to be the only one that enjoys The End Of Flutter Valley...

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »
I enjoy Morning Glory and Sting’s interactions in “The End of Flutter Valley” :)

Ponyfan

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »
I just remember the flutter ponies getting caught and escaping and getting caught about a million times.  :P
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2018, 03:38:09 PM »
I just remember the flutter ponies getting caught and escaping and getting caught about a million times.  :P

I think that's all most of us remember. That and the furbobs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal