collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I've Hit A Collecting Wall  (Read 2890 times)

Offline millenium0chi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I've Hit A Collecting Wall
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »
I haven't hit a wall yet, exactly, but I know what you mean about only collecting what you like.  I'm doing the same.  I'm only collecting G1s that I either want to re-acquire from my childhood or that I've always liked and never had.  And I'm only buying ponies that are as mint as I can find.  I don't have the space or extra money to be buying placeholder ponies that need to be upgraded later.  So I have a want list, I save up for the next pony on the list and I buy the best one I can find.

I used to collect G3s as well, but even though I do like them a lot, I sold off all that I had due to space and in order to refocus on the G1s.  I don't care for G4s at all, so unless an upcoming generation really blows me away, I see myself being done once I have all the G1s I want.
Be a Blessing
Looking for my childhood loves:
Princess Tiffany, Mimic, Twinkler, Surf Rider (baby sea pony), Majesty, Megan and Sundance, Cotton Candy

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 10:35:25 AM »
You might break down that wall if G5 is awesome Al. :silly:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
I want to see the triumphant return of the early (Year 5 and earlier) G1 ponies.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
We all go through stages. It's ok to take a break! Some people go for months, or years on pony buying hiatus, and on the rare occasion downsize everything (though this usually has other outside contributing factors). You'll find something that will strike your fancy to start up again. The fair was quite overwhelming, I hope you at least found a few items that struck your fancy!

I only collect customs, and custom plush. I still pick up ponies if i find them at a yardsales or thrift stores, but other than that I don't buy any regular ponies.
My kind of collector!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »
I had over 450 some ponies a few years back when the G3 ponies where in the stores. After the core seven came out I lost interest in them and sold all of them off but 20 ponies. Now I am back to around 200 something and I am happy with that.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »
I havent necessarily hit a wall but, I keep wondering its more worth while to just collect the old G1s. Sadly I always see a newer pony I like so its so hard to stick with one Generation. :/ I doubt I will ever change. So Ive ran with it for so many years. Im very torn about this.

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »
We all go through stages. It's ok to take a break! Some people go for months, or years on pony buying hiatus, and on the rare occasion downsize everything (though this usually has other outside contributing factors). You'll find something that will strike your fancy to start up again. The fair was quite overwhelming, I hope you at least found a few items that struck your fancy!

This is where I am- real life suddenly got really intense, some of it good, some of it not good, but all of it just real life. There's still a room full of ponies where I can go and sit and be happy, and sometimes it is overwhelming, but most of the time it's soothing. Every time I mention it might be time to downsize a little, my husband stops me. (That is why I love him. Plus he put a lock on the pony room door.) There are a few ponies that I would like to have, but they aren't as important to me as they would have been a couple years ago. Mostly I'm just curious what will happen next- how my collecting and collection will change as my kid gets older, as the need for space changes, and my interests expand.

I've started making art of ponies, and that has kept my interest alive when it isn't feasible to collect. I get to go find the pony that I want to make art of, set her next to me while I'm sewing, and talk to her a little. It's not the same as collecting, but I really like it.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
This is not a bad a thing in my opinion:) I have been on a pony break for years (6-7 years!). I only have a small collection of mostly (like you!) the ponies I love. Most of them are either childhood ponies or ponies I remember from my childhood. A few (ehm, one actually!) is just because I adore it (Jenny).

So I guess my theme is nostalgia :P

I actually don't think pony collecting is all about getting them all, or buying new ponies all the time- I enjoy the few I have, collecting stuff for them (backcards, stickers etc) and I am also a huuuge photography nut, so taking photo's with a MLP theme is like joining 2 of my best things :heart:

Of course I sometimes miss the first years I got into ponies again, going pony hunting and buying all these awesome things I never got when I was a kid (but now as a grown-up you actually can get everything that was on the top of your wishlist!) But I do think there is so much more to this hobby than buying new ponies  :lookround: But I don't think I'm  very typical though, been in this hobby since 2006/2007 and I only have around 35 ponies....  :blink: I don't even know how I manage not to expand!
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
I've kind of hit a wall too. I've lost most of my interest in G4 because of the lack of variety (though I am loving Coloratura).

And, all the G1's I want are so expensive and I just can't afford them right now.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 04:06:55 PM »
I've barely bought any ponies in the last 6+ years, and I've sold off a lot.  Not a bad thing--it's easier on my wallet and I still have the ponies that actually matter to me.  There are lots of ways to enjoy and engage with the MLP community besides buying toys, so don't feel like you HAVE to buy toys to hang around. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 11:40:46 PM »
I am an currently of an stop of buying g1s 2and three until I can see what I hAve and who I am going to keep my collection need s to be more manageable for the space I have available to me. Once it is all sorted I am going to make a final wish list then I plan to buy no more.

G4 they are a bit flat at the moment I just buy ones that are non main 6 (apart from applejack as she is part of my army)

The main reason for this is because I want to have them on display and not in a box as most of them are right now.

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 12:09:13 AM »
I'm not at a wall per se, but I have definitely slowed down as I want to clear out some G3s and some extras to help make room for what I have.  My wants are pretty limited now, but that's a good thing!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 12:29:01 PM »
I'm trying to slow down, mainly cause i don't have a lot of room in which to display toys/posters. A lot of the stuff I buy doesn't have a lot of nostalgic/"I'm in love with it" value, whenever I"m on ebay or at flea markets, the immediate buyers impulse strikes followed by regret.
Some pony stuff I know I'm going to enjoy for a long while. Most of Enterplay's merchandise, and a couple well-made Applejack plushies for sure.
Though there's been many purchases I regret doing. Found a handful of assorted G3/G4 toys I'm having trouble turning over, and this huge (Much bigger than their usual 2'x3' poster) season 5 cast poster by Enterplay I bought at Bronycon. A frame for that one's gonna cost well over $10, and I don't have much room for it, especially with the handful of smaller art prints I got as well.
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal