collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 645
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: I think someone just tried to make me 'justify' why I collect  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: I think someone just tried to make me 'justify' why I collect
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2015, 03:35:14 AM »
I have to admit that if my sister did that to any of my MIP ponies, we'd have serious issues between us.

Sister does collect/keep ponies, but she doesn't believe in having them MIP. The only MOC she has is Fizzy which I got for her because she had her Fizzy (1st pony) second hand and never had one on card. That one is special so she stays in that condition. Although I know Naynie dislikes MIP in general, she would never do harm to one of my collection because we have different values that way. A sibling ought to respect and support, not try to vandalise. I'm sure they would hate if you decided to tip wine over their new sofa because you felt it needed to be more 'lived on'...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2015, 09:22:57 AM »
This past weekend we had a housewarming party since my fiance and I are finally settled into our new house.  I have an entire bedroom dedicated to my pony collection and it was the first time I was able to show anyone, outside of friends and close family, my whole collection.  I got mostly positive reactions to it (my favorite being "I guess this is what you can do when you don't have kids to spend money on" to which I replied "Which is exactly why we're not having kids" :lol:) but I did have two people who told me I should "stop buying those ponies" and buy more practical things (which confused me because I'm pretty sure you can buy both non-practical and practical things at the same time, not one or the other).

Ahem...

No.

I have a job, and I get to spend my money how I want.  I have my priorities straight, but I'm also allowed to have fun, and for me that means buying G1 and G4 ponies, as well as expanding my other collections.  I just found it a bit irritating that someone would say that to me, but I ignored the comments and shrugged them off.  I mean... I have a frickin' house.  My fiance and I are 25 and 26 years old and we're homeowners!  But you're going to sit here and tell me I'm being childish for collecting ponies?  Ha!  Besides, my fiance also collects toys and figures, this is obviously something we enjoy, so why would you think it's okay to step all over someone's happiness like that?

For the most part though, I don't run into people who have negative things to say about my collection.  Even the people who claim not to understand can at least leave my room saying that they're impressed.

In saying all of that, I just ignore people who have anything bad to say about my various collections.  I know it's easier said than done, though.  At least ignoring people on the internet is easy!  Don't let the comments of others get to you, always take it with a grain of salt.  You should never have to justify what you spend your hard-earned money on. ;)
Instagram / Want List

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »
This past weekend we had a housewarming party since my fiance and I are finally settled into our new house.  I have an entire bedroom dedicated to my pony collection and it was the first time I was able to show anyone, outside of friends and close family, my whole collection.  I got mostly positive reactions to it (my favorite being "I guess this is what you can do when you don't have kids to spend money on" to which I replied "Which is exactly why we're not having kids" :lol:) but I did have two people who told me I should "stop buying those ponies" and buy more practical things (which confused me because I'm pretty sure you can buy both non-practical and practical things at the same time, not one or the other).

Those two people probably only have enough income to afford to buy practical things and either can't wrap their heads around the idea that one can have enough income to do both or are simply jealous that you can.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »
Those two people probably only have enough income to afford to buy practical things and either can't wrap their heads around the idea that one can have enough income to do both or are simply jealous that you can.

You're probably right.  It just completely rubbed me the wrong way that someone would criticize my collection when one of the major points of the housewarming was to show off our house and the things in it.  I guess some people don't know how to bite their tongue, huh?  Like I said though, I just shrugged it off and kept going as though they hadn't said anything. :whistle:
Instagram / Want List

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
When people say to me things like being childish and inmature about my hobbies, I tell them that a real mature thing is to admit to like something and don't feel intimidate to hear what other people say or critcize about you   :P

Lol when I say this to people they don't repply me back  :lol:

I pretty much say something similar. I've had a few of my friends tell me that they wish they could be as open as I am about who they are and what they like and that I'm brave.  I admit...It makes me so sad that being yourself without shame is something to be considered "brave" or "strong". And my heart does break for those trapped in such a narrow view of the world because they were raised to be nothing but "normal" with "normal" hobbies(if any at all. It scares me sometimes how many people don't seem to have ANY sort of hobby. Like...what do you do with your spare time besides watching TV?) and a "normal" job and they must have a "normal" life and family.

I think a lot of these kinds of people are the ones who lash out at others who are doing what makes them happy. These people aren't able to live how they want because they fear the judgement of others so fiercely. I could never imagine living that way. Seems like a waste of a life, in a way. Only doing what others expect of you and nothing for yourself.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2015, 02:12:43 PM »
Does anyone have people in their family that actually pressures you to sell your ponies, or lectures you about it? I find this just as annoying as having to justify collecting. I have a couple of family members that know they are worth money (my grandpa and a cousin), and they keep on asking me why I haven't sold them yet while they're worth money. *rolls eyes*  Hey, I'm the fool who will spend $100+ on a pony when I have the funds. No way am I selling my collection I love so much!

I used to get that a bit, but it was mostly about my dolls. Since I sold off the majority of the expensive ones to fund other things (mostly less expensive or different dolls, ponies, etc) its pretty much stopped. I prefer baity ponies so I've made it clear that my ponies would be a lot more trouble to sell than they'd ever make (if anyone even bought them of course, which is unlikely).

I haven't gotten new ponies in a while but any time I want to buy something real and tangible for my collections I get crap for it. I sell things to I save up for what I want but actually buying a real object is terrible! Owning so many things is bad, I don't have enough space, where would I put it... you get the picture. I got rid of most of my belongings (not from collections but it was way more than all my collections tripled) and I STILL get crap about it. We've vastly improved the space situation and I've got plenty of room for the extremely rare purchases I make but that's not enough. :/

Today my boyfriend's mom followed me into BF & I's room while we were discussing the furniture being delivered today, if anything was in the way, etc. She looked at our bookshelf (with a grand total of 4 dolls on it, 3 of which will be moved into a new home today) and my display area (full of dolls and ponies... obviously... since that's the entire point...) and commented on how I sure do have a lot of dolls. She was very clearly disapproving. Lately I've been doing nothing but organizing my collections and making space! Its so frustrating that it feels like it'll never be enough unless I throw them all into boxes and shove them in the garage.

She's much more okay with digital purchases. Video games, game currency, shiny skins, pretty weapons, silly pets, etc are all fine and good. Buy as much as you want! But the second its a real object, something that you can hold and touch and even resell later if you need to? Its wasting space, there's no room, etc etc etc... I've never, ever met anyone else who feels that way. Its so backwards compared to everyone I've ever known, who would all much rather buy/support purchases of tangible things. I'm all for digital purchases but I'd often rather buy things I can photograph and enjoy in real life. I mean, my 2nd biggest interest/hobby is photography! I need subjects for that.

Aside from that everyone is supportive and I don't think I've ever been asked to justify why I collect, unless you count genuinely polite curious questions about why I like X specifically. The little girls in my life love it because when I come to visit it means I brought ponies and dolls they can play with (or in some cases very nice/expensive ones they're only allowed to look at, which they still love). I've had all sorts of relatives show interest in my collections, buy me things, help me hunt for stuff, etc. But collecting runs in my family. My granny collects dolls from different countries, her sister kept her childhood dolls in a beautiful display case all these years (until she gave them to me) and collects teddy bears, my great grandma has all sorts of rooster/chicken themed stuff, my cousin collected Wizard of Oz things when she was younger, my other grandma had a bunch of decorative painted plates, my dad collected Nascar stuff... Heck, my boyfriend's dad even collects Hot Wheels and football stuff, his stepmom collects dolphins, his little sister collects Monster High...

Thinking about it like this I guess it was only natural I'd start collecting something and it wouldn't be a big deal.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2015, 02:54:22 PM »
Haha, ahh... the collector in me is screaming her head off "YES YES!!" Geez, can I relate to this post..

I collect ('80s) toys, as well as keychains, bookmarks, stamps, decor pins, coins, costume jewelry and Ty Beanie Babies (Yes, I admit this..only cats and bears though! lol) . . . the last five collections are inactive of sorts..but they are collections, and I enjoy them all! And yes, I'd rather be at home styling pony hair than hanging out with friends or being on a date.. (well, it depends on how bad the date is going! :lol:)

People in general have told me crazy stuff about my 'obsession' -- yes, family, friends, co-workers, boyfriends...If they think I'm weird, so be it.. I think they're weird for thinking I'm weird. :P :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal