collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Look at G5 Toys  (Read 81819 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Re: First Look at G5 Toys
« Reply #720 on: August 28, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »
I found a couple of the Play Packs at Target but not the invisible ink book that someone else mentioned.

I did find this Princess Petals at Walmart though.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ponyfan

Oh! I haven't seen this one at all before, only the styling Pipp from the six pack. Super cool!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #721 on: August 29, 2021, 11:55:17 AM »
YES solo Princess Petals!! I have a *mighty need!

Now I just really want that other peg as a solo and I'll be set, holding out on the boys until they fix the hair. :)

(How ironic that the short haired girl gets real, styled hair, and the boys still have plastic chunks. XD just what
like we know you can do it now, Hasbro)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 11:59:47 AM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #722 on: August 29, 2021, 06:27:47 PM »
YES solo Princess Petals!! I have a *mighty need!

Now I just really want that other peg as a solo and I'll be set, holding out on the boys until they fix the hair. :)

(How ironic that the short haired girl gets real, styled hair, and the boys still have plastic chunks. XD just what
like we know you can do it now, Hasbro)
I don't know, I don't care for Zipp's hair to be like something with styling product in the hair XD (at least that was what I heard was that her hair was stiff from glue being used to keep the style or something similar)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline toxoplasicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dib's Laboratory
« Reply #723 on: August 29, 2021, 10:08:38 PM »
i'd think it would be too early to only sell variations of the main characters... seeing this thread tells me im wrong

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #724 on: August 29, 2021, 10:19:19 PM »
i'd think it would be too early to only sell variations of the main characters... seeing this thread tells me im wrong

Oof yeah. G4 began with some alright variety for its early years and then after that began the bombarding of the main cast, but G5 just begins with it immediately. I hope we see some more variety once this first wave is out. There have been some non-"Mane 5", such as Sprout being included in that stylizing size set, and some non-main cast ponies included in that large molded hair set in the Amazon exclusive set, but that's hardly anything. :/ And the upcoming set that has both Mane 5 and Mane 6 ponies I guess but..... should we really count that? :lol:

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline toxoplasicity

• Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dib's Laboratory
« Reply #725 on: August 30, 2021, 12:12:08 AM »

Oof yeah. G4 began with some alright variety for its early years and then after that began the bombarding of the main cast, but G5 just begins with it immediately. I hope we see some more variety once this first wave is out. There have been some non-"Mane 5", such as Sprout being included in that stylizing size set, and some non-main cast ponies included in that large molded hair set in the Amazon exclusive set, but that's hardly anything. :/ And the upcoming set that has both Mane 5 and Mane 6 ponies I guess but..... should we really count that? :lol:

i'm hoping after the "movie releases" are over we get some variety, i like the new characters but theres not much to collect at the moment! maybe once the actual show starts we'll get side characters and stuff in toy form but i'd really like if they went back to making original ponies... like thats ever gonna happen xD

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 01, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »
Popped into Smyths (UK) this afternoon & they had the big Princess Petals and also the smaller "Crystal Adventure" single sets for sale! I bought the small Princess Petals for 7.99 for my kid & awaited her critique...

...she loved the look of the pony, thinking she was cute. She also loved the cutie mark a lot - a musical note with a crown - and the fact that there was a "badge" version of it that could be "popped" on to an enclosed rainbow bracelet (sadly, too tight for her wrist); she enjoyed opening the crystal capsule, finding the little accessories, cape & stickers, too. She commented that the wings were flexible & thought that was much better than previous wing designs.

So Hasbro have at least ticked a few boxes here that delights my girl!

I thought the four, strappy hoof bracelet accessory thingies looked very... punky? Missing some chains & safety pins  :lol: Hehe, but that's just me  ;) Perhaps someone need to do a Vivienne Westwood custom with a bit of added tartan  :P

Didn't recall seeing Izzy Moonbow, if I do next time, I will buy her, purely because my girl likes her blue/purple colouring (and I spy a cute tea-set accessory!). The Other sets didn't really draw me to buying them.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 01, 2021, 02:25:18 PM »
I still love them but I can't get over the red boy's expression.
What is that?

He looks like his friend in class just walked by and farted in his face, but the class has to be silent because they're taking a test, so he's just giving him the really!? dying-inside look from across the room.

Idk why that was the first scenario that popped into my head, but it's all I can see now. XD

Maybe Hitch is to blame.

I do wish they had their markings, as well. :(
Holding out hope for later iterations, as well as real hair for the boys. (Seriously, the girl gets real short hair but boys get plastic bricks? XD)

:lol: Looks more to me  like he did the farting.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ChibiMango

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 01, 2021, 02:28:38 PM »
I recently bought a Unicorn Charms Izzy, and I love her!  But two (very minor, but still) quality issues I noticed with her are:
- Her tail seems to have slightly cheaper hair than her mane??  Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it looks a tiny bit messier and frizzier than the mane, even after some combing.
- The rubber band that held some of her hair down around her back leg actually left blemishes!  When I took them off, they left marks that wrap around the leg where they originally sat.  The marks are slightly indented and look to be stained a little bit pink (the color of the rubber bands).  My phone camera messed up the colors a bit, but here's a picture.
Spoiler

Other than these things, she's great!  But has anyone else noticed any issues like this?  I'm curious about whether they're a one-off problem or if they're common.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #729 on: September 01, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »

I may be wrong but I'm guessing we're probably going to see a lot more of this core cast concept and a lot less variety with G5 going forward. I hope not, but because we're still tied to G4's world and G4's characters (with different appearances but same personalities) and so on, I feel like they're going to try the same marketing ploy.

Well, it does work and it can be successful. It's just a bit dull.

I don't see G5 being controversial like G4 (although that clip where they all run away from Izzy is already begging to be ripped apart by diversity awareness groups) so I don't see the core cast being repeated ad nauseum as a huge deal, just not very exciting...

But then G5 doesn't seem very fresh, new or exciting anyway. It's occurred to me how close Petals and Izzy's colour schemes are, and how little colour variety there is overall - bar maybe Zipp who seems to be a bit different from the base palette of purple/orange/shades in between with some pink.

So yeah. I don't think this gen is about variety. I think it's about playing it safe and perhaps trying to return the ideas of G4 to the kids...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 01, 2021, 03:51:55 PM »

I may be wrong but I'm guessing we're probably going to see a lot more of this core cast concept and a lot less variety with G5 going forward. I hope not, but because we're still tied to G4's world and G4's characters (with different appearances but same personalities) and so on, I feel like they're going to try the same marketing ploy.

Well, it does work and it can be successful. It's just a bit dull.

I don't see G5 being controversial like G4 (although that clip where they all run away from Izzy is already begging to be ripped apart by diversity awareness groups) so I don't see the core cast being repeated ad nauseum as a huge deal, just not very exciting...

But then G5 doesn't seem very fresh, new or exciting anyway. It's occurred to me how close Petals and Izzy's colour schemes are, and how little colour variety there is overall - bar maybe Zipp who seems to be a bit different from the base palette of purple/orange/shades in between with some pink.

So yeah. I don't think this gen is about variety. I think it's about playing it safe and perhaps trying to return the ideas of G4 to the kids...

Hopefully it won't be controversial due to creepy crazies.

I'm displeased that they're already shoving new toys into expensive packs,  instead of selling them by themselves. Maybe some kid or collector would like Shutter Snap,  or Sprout without having to pay through the nose for their third iteration of the main characters.

Did Dumbro even stop to think that this tactic would price out little kids? Especially in this economy. Because what are parents going to say: You already have those toys, and I cant spend $40-$60  right now.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 04:02:02 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #731 on: September 02, 2021, 09:09:40 PM »

@ChibiMango
sometimes the plastic will eventually relax if its been pinched in the packaging, but I’m not sure about the color tint going away.  I guess we wait and see?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 03, 2021, 08:39:09 AM »
When are we getting more unicorns? They have 1 toy, and a handful shown in the trailer. Only one of which is (mis)named.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #733 on: September 03, 2021, 08:42:51 AM »
When are we getting more unicorns? They have 1 toy, and a handful shown in the trailer. Only one of which is (mis)named.

Excellent question-we have some unicorns shown in the advent calendar toy that are yet to be named or seen, but it's definitely pegasus favoritism so far.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 03, 2021, 08:54:13 AM »

Excellent question-we have some unicorns shown in the advent calendar toy that are yet to be named or seen, but it's definitely pegasus favoritism so far.

You're right. I forgot about the advent calendar.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal