collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Look at G5 Toys  (Read 81869 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at G5 Toys
« Reply #675 on: August 07, 2021, 05:43:15 PM »
I'm unsure why you think the other half of the G4 main gals won't ever be in the G5 style, all 6 of them were already shown in a set for this gen with the G4.5 blind bag molds

Yeah, I was going to say... This isn't the first set w/ G4 characters.

I wonder if they'll make another 6 pack with Rarity/AJ/Flutters and 3 other G5 chars? I could see them doing something like that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 07, 2021, 07:15:11 PM »
Also when the box says"fans new and old" I'm guessing they mean "old but still in the target audience age range," that is, actual children.

That's a very good point! I think you hit the nail on the head. After all, other than specific nostalgic releases, Hasbro has always been more interested in appealing to kids, not the adult collectors.

Pre-teens and teens will see these box sets and recognize the three G4 characters, and they might pick up the box to check out who the new characters are. That was probably the entire reason Hasbro made this set.

Post Merge: August 07, 2021, 07:17:15 PM

Rainbow Dash looks super cute in this style!
I'm not the only one! I immediately thought Dash looked the cutest, and now I'm realizing she's the only one where you can't see the eyebrows... hmm... does anyone have a G5 pony and some acetone on hand? For science? :lookround:

Oh wow, yes, the eyebrows DO bug me, they might look much better without them! Remember how weird it was that in the G4 line, Applejack was the only pony who got eyebrows...? And those were just tiny little marks, not these giant honkin' catepillar eyebrows they gave every single G5. (I could see just the males having them, as a way to make it even more clear which ponies were boys and which were girls... but why do the girls have them too?)

I would love to see pictures if anyone ends up removing their G5 eyebrows!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 07:17:15 PM by Dragonflitter »
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #677 on: August 08, 2021, 01:18:13 AM »
Also when the box says"fans new and old" I'm guessing they mean "old but still in the target audience age range," that is, actual children.

That's a very good point! I think you hit the nail on the head. After all, other than specific nostalgic releases, Hasbro has always been more interested in appealing to kids, not the adult collectors.

I wonder about that. I mean, yes, you'd think so, but think how Hasbro have pandered continuously to the bronies/adult collectors of G4 at the expense of the kids - I think it's naive to assume that's their meaning when it comes to this transition.

Let me be clear, I don't expect Hasbro to acknowledge older gen fans, pretty much ever tbh. But I think it's the bronies they mean with 'old'. Not the kids. Because we've seen with G4 how disposable and instant the releases are. It's not been a line that was designed for long term collectors. It doesn't make sense to now turn around and talk about kids who played with G4 as continuing fans.

...And we've spent years talking about that disposability. So...yeah. I don't think it's about the kids, who have already moved on.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 08, 2021, 06:36:26 AM »

Agreed.

I like this set! If we get Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy in G5 style I’ll probably buy them.

Post Merge: August 08, 2021, 06:43:38 AM

I had Grand Champion horses as a kid and their painted leg markings and hooves suffered a lot.  So I was guessing ponies would as well.  Now, I did play with them (and my ponies) outside quite a bit, so that may vary by child.

My 90s Grand Champions are just fine. Some may be a bit yellowed but they came like that to me, when I started collecting again.

Seems like it depends on the child and how they were played with :lol: if the conditions I’ve found ponies in secondhand are any indication of how most kids play with their toys, those socks and stripes would be doomed. Which in turn would make toys with surviving marks more expensive.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 06:48:51 AM by otocolobus_manul »
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #679 on: August 08, 2021, 06:47:11 AM »
I think they're probably referring to older kids too! It's definitely not the case that all the kids who were into G4 have moved on from MLP, as teenagers who grew up with MLP are the majority of those I see complaining about G5 on the MLP Instagram every time it posts anything. :lol: Many older kids are definitely still attached to MLP.

I'm also a bit skeptical it would be referring to bronies because back when I interacted on brony focused sites the general vibe I got was that for the most part they didn't bother much with buying Hasbro made toys, and mostly stuck to buying some licensed merchandise from other manufacturers (such as Funko) or fanmade items. I'm sure there are bronies out there who bought the main toys, but mostly I saw people going on about how they don't like them and how they aren't "show accurate" or whatever.  :rolleyes:

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 08, 2021, 06:47:55 AM »
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 08, 2021, 02:17:32 PM »
I remember that brushable hair was one thing in the G4 line that always seemed to separate toys for kids from toys that bronies liked to collect. Bronies liked molded hair more because it would be "show accurate", while brushable toys were for kids to play around with.

Interestingly, it seems like Hasbro remembers this for the G5 line, and perhaps that's why we have both brushables and molded hair toys with the line right from the start. (Except for the boy characters, who are molded hair only annoyingly.)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #682 on: August 09, 2021, 12:03:57 PM »
I found G5 ponies in Sweden today! Super excited :D they had Pipp, Zipp and Sunny, the crystal adventures sets :) I picked up a Pipp and a Sunny, going to unbox and get some good photos etc tomorrow. They're adorable! :)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #683 on: August 10, 2021, 04:14:05 PM »
I went to four stores today in search of some G5s to get but didn't really find anything. Went to two Walmarts and two Targets. The Walmarts both had some molded hair ponies, including the large playset, and some of the little plushes, but I don't really want any of those? And both Targets had no MLP at all. I did look on Target's website though and their site claims that the third closest Target near me has some G5 brushables though so I'm planning to go there tomorrow. If I don't see any on the shelf I'll probably try asking if they're in the back, since they do show up on the website as in stock.

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #684 on: August 11, 2021, 06:16:02 PM »
As a follow up to my post above from yesterday, I was finally able to find a G5 with rooted hair today. As I mentioned yesterday it was indeed at the third closest Target. They didn't have as much listed as being in stock this morning as they did when I looked yesterday though. Yesterday it showed on the site that they had singing Pipp, styling size Sunny, and the styling size 6 pack set, but upon looking at the stock online this morning, only Pipp remained so when I got there she was my only choice.

The singing Pipp is a really nice toy! I love the way the G5 style works on a pony this large. I look forward to having ponies of the regular styling size and the basic 3 inch size so I can do more of a comparison of them. But the G5 style does work really nicely on the size of Pipp. Her hair is soft and silky (I think it's nylon?), and I love her soft and fluffy wings. My one only real gripe is one that applies to the entire G5 toyline so far and that's the lack of white on Pipp's legs. I do wish they would implement these little design features like this that appear on the characters in the movie on their toys. Spoilered below is photos of her!

Spoiler

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 12, 2021, 11:55:52 AM »
I'm not sure if this has already been posted but I found this set today.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #686 on: August 12, 2021, 03:18:12 PM »
i found it too! at walmart

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 14, 2021, 09:36:02 AM »
I found this today at Target.

Is this a playset?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #688 on: August 15, 2021, 09:48:46 AM »
I'm willing to bet we'll see boys with brushable hair later down the lines, at least on the bigger ponies.
G4 did the same thing with the troll hair boys. They did that for a few waves, realized how much people hated it, and started giving them proper mohawks.
Hopefully when they see the displeasure for the moulded hair, they change it up later on.
They do seem pretty receptive to feedback for this gen, so far. At least it seems like it to me.

I really like the little jointed ones, I might get Izzy. She's my favourite of the bunch.

I *really* want the bigger Izzy with the super long hair. Don't know if I'll end up getting many G5s but I know for sure I'm getting her.
Checked for her in Walmart today, they didn't even have a single pony as it was. :blink: Not even the cheap little PonyLife rings.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:51:23 AM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 15, 2021, 10:14:47 AM »
I'm willing to bet we'll see boys with brushable hair later down the lines, at least on the bigger ponies.
G4 did the same thing with the troll hair boys. They did that for a few waves, realized how much people hated it, and started giving them proper mohawks.
Hopefully when they see the displeasure for the moulded hair, they change it up later on.
They do seem pretty receptive to feedback for this gen, so far. At least it seems like it to me.

I really like the little jointed ones, I might get Izzy. She's my favourite of the bunch.

I *really* want the bigger Izzy with the super long hair. Don't know if I'll end up getting many G5s but I know for sure I'm getting her.
Checked for her in Walmart today, they didn't even have a single pony as it was. :blink: Not even the cheap little PonyLife rings.

Yeah but they did it towards the very end of the generation and it was still mohawks. G4 boys just plain suck.  >_<
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:16:24 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal