collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Look at G5 Toys  (Read 82005 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at G5 Toys
« Reply #660 on: August 07, 2021, 07:35:48 AM »
Wow I was not expecting that! G4's done in the G5 style... wow! A bit weird that they pulled this gimmick so early on.

I like collecting G4 toys so... If I LIKED the G5 style, this would actually be cool! You don't see many Rainbow Dash figures with folded wings! I like that idea. And the bangs are cool. And Twilight in her original form is interesting. We haven't seen wingless Twilight since 2013, when most of the toys switched over with the coming of season 4. But... yeah, I just don't like the look of the G5's. They all have wide-eyed vacant smiles, like creepy vendriloquist dummies, and bobbleheads on noodlenecks.

This kinda reminds me of the G4 Collector Set from 2010. (Pinkie, AJ, Twilight, Spike, and Celestia.) That set also came out just as the new series was starting, and it wasn't quite like the usual MLP toys we had at that point. The molded hair was unusual and the set randomly included just the characters Hasbro thought would become favorites....

If I find this G4-as-G5's set for cheap I might pick it up just for the novelty of it.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #661 on: August 07, 2021, 08:12:43 AM »
I'm just coming back to that wording, "fans new and old".

Heh.

Is it wrong to think of G4 fans still as newish..?

The actual 'old' fans might've been happier to see Firefly, Twilight and Surprise..?

(Or not)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 07, 2021, 08:17:33 AM »
I don't know why anyone is worried about the packs with G4 characters included. It's clear they are using them to bridge the gap between generations and will probably abandon them after this, which unfortunately means no Rarity, Applejack, or Fluttershy in G5 style. I'm fine with the ones they did include it just makes me sad to only be able to have half.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #663 on: August 07, 2021, 08:30:58 AM »
I don't know why anyone is worried about the packs with G4 characters included. It's clear they are using them to bridge the gap between generations

No pony generation has ever needed to be 'bridged' in before.

I don't think it's about that. I think it's about flogging the dead horse of this amazing success they unexpectedly had - trying to glean the last of the brony money while they still can.

It's true that the M6 have connections to G3 and G1 existing characters, but somehow I feel like that was different. This is a token "here's some old stuff" release, as opposed to constructing new Pinkie Pie, Dash and Applejack characters separated from the G3 and G1 interations. :/

We didn't get Firefly and Medley in G2, we didn't get Ivy and Sunsparkle in G3. And even despite the above carryover, we didn't get 'favourite set' releases in G4 featuring popular characters from G3. We did get Minty, but A LOT later into G4's release after it was already established.

Maybe it will be a one off and let's hope so - but to me it feels like Hasbro not really knowing how to move on from G4, and still wanting to hang onto its success. Whatever came after G4 was always going to be a challenge. If you're going to release collections with G4 and G5 characters, I feel like it's better done when G5 is established, not before it begins.

G5 already seems inoffensive but somehow unimposing as a toy line. A bit lost in the crowd somehow? Unlike G4. And Hasbro making this release RIGHT at the start makes me feel like they think so too.

But it's early and I guess we'll see. It just feels like an acknowledgement from Hasbro that they used the last of their creative edge when they launched G4 and they don't know how to let it go.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #664 on: August 07, 2021, 08:45:43 AM »
I was so excited to wake up to this new set! Meijer doesn't exist around here so I wonder what store will get it instead. I hope we get all of the mane 6. I guess I may grab this collection instead of the unicorn pack just in case they don't release them as singles.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 07, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »
I posted this in the “out now and coming soon” thread, but I want to make sure everyone sees it because I haven’t seen this set anywhere else yet. We have Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie making a return in the “Favorites Together Collection.”

“Pony worlds come together when Sunny Starscout, Twilight Sparkle, and some of their best friends unite under the magic of friendship. Favorites Together Collection pack includes 6 pony figures with character- inspired colors, hair styles, and Cutie Marks. From My Little Pony: A New Generation, meet Sunny Starscout, Izzy Moonbow, and Princess Petals. From My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, reimagine the magic of Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. Now designed in the style of: A New Generation characters! Ponies are 3 inches tall with long, soft hair that's fun to play with and style. Each comes with a character-inspired accessory for fashion and storytelling fun. 12 pieces in all! Fans new and old can imagine adventures with iconic My Little Pony: A New Generation and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic favorites.”

$25.99

Hasbro,  I'm going to hurt you. Can you not continue to force-feed people these damn characters?!

Post Merge: August 07, 2021, 09:15:07 AM

I had Grand Champion horses as a kid and their painted leg markings and hooves suffered alot.  So I was guessing ponies would as well.  Now, I did play with them (and my ponies) outside quite a bit, so that may vary by child.

My 90s Grand Champions are just fine. Some may be a bit yellowed but they came like that to me, when I started collecting again.

Post Merge: August 07, 2021, 09:19:20 AM

I'm just coming back to that wording, "fans new and old".

Heh.

Is it wrong to think of G4 fans still as newish..?

The actual 'old' fans might've been happier to see Firefly, Twilight and Surprise..?

(Or not)

It may be that I didn't get much sleep due to a headache,  but it irritates me that they have the gall, to call g4 only fans "older fans." If they wanted to appeal to true older fans,  how about Kimono, Ivy, and Medley?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 09:28:06 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 07, 2021, 12:15:57 PM »

Kinda funny how Twilight Sparkle's accessory is the crown of the pegasus queen, yet she got her wings clipped :D

On a side note: we will clearly never get rid of Pinkie Pie...

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 07, 2021, 12:32:24 PM »
Rainbow Dash looks super cute in this style!

Twilight probably doesn't have her wings because these new characters are at the start of their stories, so they are showing the G4 characters at the start of their stories, too.

Also when the box says"fans new and old" I'm guessing they mean "old but still in the target audience age range," that is, actual children.

And I definitely see some value in bridging the gap between generations, personally.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 07, 2021, 12:50:15 PM »
I'm not the only one! I immediately thought Dash looked the cutest, and now I'm realizing she's the only one where you can't see the eyebrows... hmm... does anyone have a G5 pony and some acetone on hand? For science? :lookround:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 07, 2021, 01:37:30 PM »
I'm not the only one! I immediately thought Dash looked the cutest, and now I'm realizing she's the only one where you can't see the eyebrows... hmm... does anyone have a G5 pony and some acetone on hand? For science? :lookround:
I didn't think of it but yeah maybe it is the eyebrows?  And her nice forelock... The others kind of look like they have pony receding hairlines haha.

I've also been wanting to try removing some G5 eyebrows just to see what they look like  :P
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #670 on: August 07, 2021, 01:41:24 PM »
cute.

wonder how theyre gonna retcon wingless twi?
“alicorn status expiration date”?

or maybe the new story occurs in an early FIM timeline?

I’m fine with whatevs but it IS amusing!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 07, 2021, 01:53:04 PM »

:lmao: :rofl:

Offline MOTOSTOKES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 07, 2021, 05:07:19 PM »
I'm unsure why you think the other half of the G4 main gals won't ever be in the G5 style, all 6 of them were already shown in a set for this gen with the G4.5 blind bag molds

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #673 on: August 07, 2021, 05:16:33 PM »
cute.

or maybe the new story occurs in an early FIM timeline?

I’m fine with whatevs but it IS amusing!

I think Hasbro just got lazy.. I hope that's the case. We see her as an Alicorn in the animatic and in the box art plus
Spoiler
A costume and a toy of Sunny as an Alicorn
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline serena-hime

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 07, 2021, 05:18:11 PM »
I posted this somewhere else, but I'm curious to know if Twilight's lack of wings will be mentioned in the plot of the movie; I don't think the M6 will appear as actual characters in the movie, but we know it's set in the same universe and Sunny does have a set of M6 figures in her bedroom. Since the plot of the movie is that magic is gone from Equestria and the pony species live separately, I wonder if Alicorns have been erased from the historical record both because they no longer exist and because they want to suppress the knowledge of a species containing both unicorn and pegasus qualities, something which would contradict the "separate is better" society they have going on right now?

Though it could also be a goof since Twilight's wings seem vaguely visible in the box art lol.

I already hate the mini brushables so I'm not getting these (until they resculpt them to be prettier/more accurate, like singing Pipp), but I'm not surprised to see them doing G4-to-G5 ponies, both because it will make money and also because it's already been established that this is a continuation of the G4 universe. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal