collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Look at G5 Toys  (Read 81769 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at G5 Toys
« Reply #345 on: June 25, 2021, 10:53:58 PM »
She's kinda cute. I like her headdress and her hair, her anatomy is pretty wack though. I wonder how big she'll be?

I'm thinking at least 4 inches. Which is close enough to normal pony size.

Both of the brushables are styling size.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Then that makes them normal.  Since my Fashion Style is the size of my normal ponies. At least her head is. Her back is waaay shorter then theirs.

I really do like Pipp's glossy hair, fuzzy wings, and Roaring 20s headband.  If the hair is as nice as it looks, hooray!

The problem is that styling ponies don't get as many releases. Unless something gets revealed that we haven't seen yet, the molded hair ponies have all 5 characters from the start while the brushable styling size have only two and one of them is gimmicky. We will likely have to wait a long time to get all of them in styling size with Hitch likely being the last and harder to find. And as for characters outside the Mane 5 that will take even longer.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline TwilightStarshine

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2021, 10:40:45 AM »
I really like them, but there are definitely points of improvement we might want to discuss down the road... Their short stature is still a point of concern for me personally. 4" is already really, really small. (Sorry G4s! :lol:) It's just a matter of preference for me, but I agree that younger children could have trouble with small accessories and increasingly smaller ponies. G1s and G3s were indeed plump and soft to the touch for those reasons. Even the G1 combs and G3 brushes were round and chunky.

I also think it's too early to say there's not gonna be brushables/fewer brushables. I'm not gonna be disappointed before we have a statement saying there won't be any ^^' there's been very few leaks, and we don't even have the movie trailer yet, right? so yeah... while I don't have massively high hopes there will be mostly brushables, I'm also not going to assume there won't be any/very few just yet :)

all in all I like this ^^ the accessories are great!

Agreed. I think it is wise to reserve judgment at this point. :nod: It's probably still too early to tell what the future will hold. This is only the first release so we might as well sit back and relax... The molded hair is definitely new, and perhaps this makes the G5 slightly more interesting as long as the G4 ponies are phasing out. Hasbro is on a molded hair spree as we speak (judging from the latest G4 releases). This could be just a transition phase.

Offline fuzzysherbet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 27, 2021, 06:57:42 AM »
I... really hope g5 isn't going to be mostly articulated ponies. I've never liked those. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on that brushable Sunny, though! I'm not toooo worried about g5 having barely any brushables yet, since g4 started out with molded manes too. Also, MLP has always been brushables, so I highly doubt Hasbro would stray too far from its roots there! Could be wrong on that, of course, but it's definitely too early to pass too much judgement... but I'm also really not feeling good about the amount of articulated ponies we're seeing already.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2021, 07:23:35 AM »
Maybe Guardians of Harmony was much more successful than we think, and so Hasbro modeled that concept for G5?

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 27, 2021, 03:24:43 PM »
I always saw the giant talking Princess Celestias as a shelf sitters, but here we are again with a similar thing with Pipp. I feel like retail buyers and Hasbro like the gimmicks more than the consumers. I can see how something like that can seem appealing for parents or family to buy children as birthday or holiday gifts but I really wonder how well they do in reality because they did always seem to be really slow sellers around where I lived.

Offline Star-Watcher

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Raven's Nest
« Reply #350 on: June 27, 2021, 05:05:04 PM »
I was completely unaware of a G5 line until just a couple days ago when I found my way back to the Arena here.  That said, except for that purple one, there is just something not quite right with the faces.  I think the purple one's more luxurious and fuller mane helps make her look right.

However, I am declaring the jury of me to be out on these for now.  I would definitely have to see them in person to make a judgement one way or the other.
-- Star-Watcher
This space unintentionally left blank.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #351 on: June 28, 2021, 09:33:57 AM »
I want styling size Sunny so BAD!! I wish she was already in stores!

I can't wait to start collecting these. The only one I'm not interested in right now is the flappy-wing singing Pipp but I usually avoid those gimmicks. I kinda hope we get some brushables just on their own with a comb but I know surprise boxes are the way of the toy market these days...
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 28, 2021, 02:54:44 PM »
except for that purple one, there is just something not quite right with the faces.  I think the purple one's more luxurious and fuller mane helps make her look right.
I agree. Pipp's mane covers her neck/sides of her face, so it hides the awkward bobble head thing they have going on.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 28, 2021, 03:47:35 PM »
I want styling size Sunny so BAD!! I wish she was already in stores!

I can't wait to start collecting these. The only one I'm not interested in right now is the flappy-wing singing Pipp but I usually avoid those gimmicks. I kinda hope we get some brushables just on their own with a comb but I know surprise boxes are the way of the toy market these days...

I kinda wanna pet her wings. Hopefully they'll make lots of ponies with luxurious, silky hair. Although I do like the translucent hair look on Trailblazer and Moonbow.

I'm going to try to give these a chance. I doubt they'll be my favorites,  but I'm a bit more keen on them, then I was when 3.5 and G4 entered stores.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 03:50:15 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #354 on: June 28, 2021, 10:56:09 PM »
I'm really hoping the hair on the rooted ponies is good! Hasbro stepped up their hair game a lot last year with the G4.5s, so I'm hoping it didn't dip back to late 2015-2019 quality hair.

Also really hoping we see an increase in the percentage of rooted hair ponies soon. The molded ones are alright but the rooted hair is definitely the main draw of MLP to me. Can't style molded hair...

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 29, 2021, 07:13:34 AM »
I'm really hoping the hair on the rooted ponies is good! Hasbro stepped up their hair game a lot last year with the G4.5s, so I'm hoping it didn't dip back to late 2015-2019 quality hair.

Also really hoping we see an increase in the percentage of rooted hair ponies soon. The molded ones are alright but the rooted hair is definitely the main draw of MLP to me. Can't style molded hair...

Here's hoping it's Basic Fun quality.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 29, 2021, 02:12:06 PM »
I think G5 looks alright.  I would have wanted some as a child. But, they don't really inspire the love I feel for G1 and I accepted years ago there will never be another generation that does.  As long as ponies always stay fun-loving and cute, I don't mind what they do with them.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »
I really like that Styling size Sunny! :D Hopefully I can get one.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Mar1978

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mariosp
« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2021, 03:07:04 PM »
I have seen a few people here refer to the brushable Sunny as styling size, does that mean she will be bigger size than the fashion style which are kind of similar to g1 adult size, sorry for the question I get them confused

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2021, 03:46:48 PM »
I think Styling and Fashion style are the same thing? Aren't they? :lookround:

Belltock Raincurl