collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Look at G5 Toys  (Read 81834 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at G5 Toys
« Reply #315 on: June 23, 2021, 07:23:41 AM »
Ya know the great thing about G1 ponies, there wasn't a LOT of accessories when you bought one pony. You got a pony, a brush or comb, a sticker and a ribbon. They fit nicely in to your hand, especially if you were a little kid...but it was soft enough plastic that they were huggable and lovable. Then with the brushable hair, it made them more realistic.

I know from watching my younger relatives play...all that extra crap for small children and a little big older kids is going to get lost and on stepped on by mom and dad. I think the thing about the original MLP was that it was so minimalistic, sure, more accessories came out with playsets or some ponies might have had a few more things but honestly, those action figure looking ponies for the new line have a lot of 'junk' with them that little kids are just going to lose...and frankly at my age all that is just more tiny junk I don't want to deal with.

So it's a hard pass for me on the 'action' figure ponies from those images. I have to hope they'll look better in person, but they're just not for me and I doubt if I'm going to be buying my 4 year old cousin these ponies that come with SOoooooo much tiny junk. I would probably buy her a bigger one with brushable hair but she seems to like my G1 style ponies better anyway, she goes for them more than the other ponies I have in my collection when she visits me.

I agree. My favorites from G4 were the Styling Size.  I liked that even the ones with accessories didn't have an overwhelming amount of them.  An  outfit and a comb were about it.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 23, 2021, 07:40:52 AM »
I wish they'd get some more use outta the SDCC Twilight/Retro Mane Six moulds, if they're gonna continue with the jawless monsters. Id buy these guys +anyone else that caught my fancy if they were on those moulds.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 23, 2021, 09:25:16 AM »
Ya know the great thing about G1 ponies, there wasn't a LOT of accessories when you bought one pony. You got a pony, a brush or comb, a sticker and a ribbon. They fit nicely in to your hand, especially if you were a little kid...but it was soft enough plastic that they were huggable and lovable. Then with the brushable hair, it made them more realistic.

I know from watching my younger relatives play...all that extra crap for small children and a little big older kids is going to get lost and on stepped on by mom and dad. I think the thing about the original MLP was that it was so minimalistic, sure, more accessories came out with playsets or some ponies might have had a few more things but honestly, those action figure looking ponies for the new line have a lot of 'junk' with them that little kids are just going to lose...and frankly at my age all that is just more tiny junk I don't want to deal with.

So it's a hard pass for me on the 'action' figure ponies from those images. I have to hope they'll look better in person, but they're just not for me and I doubt if I'm going to be buying my 4 year old cousin these ponies that come with SOoooooo much tiny junk. I would probably buy her a bigger one with brushable hair but she seems to like my G1 style ponies better anyway, she goes for them more than the other ponies I have in my collection when she visits me.

I agree with all of this! There's just something about the way a soft-ish G1 pony fits and feels in a kid's hand. I've tried giving my kids G3 and G4 ponies, and they just don't take to them the way they do to G1 ponies, because of the way they feel. These hard plastic montrosities won't appeal to my kids, I can already tell.

Same about all those junky accessories getting lost or broken...the age group that these look to be targeted to is not known for its organizational skills. Don't get me wrong, I cherished my G1 pony accessories, but like you said, they were not so numerous, and they usually came with a playset (i.e. like the nursery) to contain them all in. Plus they were well-made back then.

Offline therainbowtroll

• Depends Pony
  • I'm the pony everypony should know!
    • View Profile
    • FA
« Reply #318 on: June 23, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »
I can't wait to get my hands on some of these!  :lovey:
https://ibb.co/kUfiYF
By pawpatrolbab

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #319 on: June 23, 2021, 10:36:17 AM »
I don't like the articulated legs :huh: I wanted to collect the Sunny figures (maybe Hitch if was a shade of orange but he's yellow now) and the actual brushable ones aren't bad, I agree about too many accessories though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 23, 2021, 10:57:56 AM »
Every time I see new merch, I warm up to it a little more. I might grab Pipp and Zipp cause I looove the wings and the fact that Pipp has a pudgier body mold. Wish they were brushables though, and I'm hoping for a side character at least. It all feels similarly low-stakes to Y1 G4, I'll be curious to see what the post-movie line is like.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 23, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »
So glad they're moving away from brushable hair - I love brushables, but hair quality has been consistently plummeting in recent years, with no sign of turning around. Nothing bothers me more than frizzy hair, so if Hasbro can't do brushable hair right, I'd rather them not do it at all. Plus, molded hair covers G5's oddly shaped heads and necks better than brushable hair, and makes them look more like, yknow, actual ponies. Also yay, Hitch toy!
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #322 on: June 23, 2021, 02:16:39 PM »
I love these! Like, actually really love them. I don't usually like molded hair, but dangit, I really like these!

I also think it's too early to say there's not gonna be brushables/fewer brushables. I'm not gonna be disappointed before we have a statement saying there won't be any ^^' there's been very few leaks, and we don't even have the movie trailer yet, right? so yeah... while I don't have massively high hopes there will be mostly brushables, I'm also not going to assume there won't be any/very few just yet :)

all in all I like this ^^ the accessories are great!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #323 on: June 23, 2021, 10:28:04 PM »
So glad they're moving away from brushable hair - I love brushables, but hair quality has been consistently plummeting in recent years, with no sign of turning around. Nothing bothers me more than frizzy hair, so if Hasbro can't do brushable hair right, I'd rather them not do it at all. Plus, molded hair covers G5's oddly shaped heads and necks better than brushable hair, and makes them look more like, yknow, actual ponies. Also yay, Hitch toy!

There was a huge improvement in hair quality actually. The G4.5s ("cat ponies") had lovely soft hair! It improved so much with 2020. It's really disappointing to see such a drastically increased percentage in ponies with molded hair now after they improved their hair as much as they did last year. :/

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 24, 2021, 07:45:45 AM »
I too am disappointed by the lack of brushables... hopefully they're just showing us the molded hair ones first and the brushables will come later. The first G4 set had molded hair too, right?

And I'm confused as to what Miss Petals' name is, too. Pipp or Princess? Or both? Princess Pipp Petals? Hm. I guess I like "Princess Petals" better than "Pipp".

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #325 on: June 24, 2021, 07:53:49 AM »
I too am disappointed by the lack of brushables... hopefully they're just showing us the molded hair ones first and the brushables will come later. The first G4 set had molded hair too, right?

And I'm confused as to what Miss Petals' name is, too. Pipp or Princess? Or both? Princess Pipp Petals? Hm. I guess I like "Princess Petals" better than "Pipp".

Yeah, the first G4 release was a set of molded hair ponies. Hopefully this is a case similar to that and we end up getting more brushables. We know of two so far for G5 and both are larger styling sized ponies. I'd like some regular sized brushables as well!

I think Princess is a title (with her actually being a princess), with Pipp Petals being her actual name. Princess Pipp Petals. I wonder if even though they're sisters, that Zipp isn't a princess as well? They've not been referring to her as one at all, just by her regular name.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #326 on: June 24, 2021, 09:27:57 AM »
My french friend says "Pipp" is a slang term for something, so maybe it's linked to that? That's the only thing I can think of unless marketing thought "Princess Petals" is gonna sell better.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 24, 2021, 09:35:54 AM »

Yeah, the first G4 release was a set of molded hair ponies. Hopefully this is a case similar to that and we end up getting more brushables. We know of two so far for G5 and both are larger styling sized ponies. I'd like some regular sized brushables as well!

I think Princess is a title (with her actually being a princess), with Pipp Petals being her actual name. Princess Pipp Petals. I wonder if even though they're sisters, that Zipp isn't a princess as well? They've not been referring to her as one at all, just by her regular name.

Unless they're bringing mlp back to between 4-5 inches in the regular line?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 24, 2021, 11:31:42 AM »
My french friend says "Pipp" is a slang term for something, so maybe it's linked to that? That's the only thing I can think of unless marketing thought "Princess Petals" is gonna sell better.

Isn't Pipp, or Pip (not sure which spelling) also an old nickname for Philip? At least that is the case in Great Expectations. Perhaps they decided it was too masculine sounding and thought it would be a hard sell for what looks to be a girly-girl pony.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 24, 2021, 01:34:13 PM »
I've never seen it spelt "Pipp" before, just "Pip". That always bugged me about her name, the extra "P" just seems so unnecessary :P

It didn't seem masculine to me though. Maybe because my aunt used to have a (female) dog called Pip so that's where my mind goes first, idk. That and Pippi Longstockings.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal