collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 47962 times)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2023, 11:36:45 PM »
I also suspect it has to do with relative popularity! There aren't that many pony customizers compared to collectors, and that ratio goes way down in tandem with the G2 collectors. A lot of people simply don't collect or like them, so accordingly there's fewer customizers! Plus, I'm sure it's a struggle to sell art pieces in general; selling G2 customs must be exponentially more difficult. Why put the time and effort into something that may not sell?

I went to a pony meetup several years ago, and in the prize pile for the raffle (or maybe bingo?) was a beautiful G2 custom, a Merry Go Round styled G2. I picked her, and exclaimed how grateful I was to get her, when I was one of the last people to win a prize! And most of the collectors there didn't even realize she was a custom. I'm sure that wasn't a wholly representative slice of the pony populace, but it illustrates my point! (And no, I won't keep you waiting for a photo, LOL!)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is her! She's gorgeous, and so well made! But no maker's mark, so I have no clue who made her! The host who donated her said she got her in an eBay lot! :(

That's a beautiful custom, it looks factory?!

Another question! Do you sign your ponies with your real name or your online/art name? I have always done BC or in the beginning it was BCC for BlackCurtains Customs, but I dropped the second C at some point.

I sign mine under a hoof with my RL initials, DLP. I have since I started customizing! :)

(Oops I never replied?! Time sure flies! :blush: )

She really does, it's amazing! She's so gorgeous, and it's hard to believe she ended up passed over by as many folks as she did at the meetup! But I'm glad for it, because I think she's just about perfect. :heart: I saw another custom on eBay with a very similar style of carousel sculpting, and I wish I'd bid higher for her - at the time I felt I was being gracious and not starting a bidding war, but now I just think about how cool it would be to own a pair! :yikes:

And to answer BC, for me it depends! For customs I keep I put my real name/date, but for gifts/trades I'll put Snapdragon, and usually my initials and date. I want folks to know who made it, and they might not immediately bring my real name back to my SN! But if my ancestors were to stumble across my customs in a dusty attic, they'd wonder who Snapdragon was! :P
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #451 on: January 04, 2023, 05:53:02 AM »
I'm still working on 3 of the ponies I mentioned earlier; a now 4 year WIP, and two Spring/Easter ponies. One of them is done, I need to airbrush the second but it's been too humid. I'm also working on an additional two, an armored pony and a cordyceps pony.

I need to order more Apoxie Sculpt. Mine is old and funky from the heat.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #452 on: January 04, 2023, 06:51:42 AM »
I've been on a hiatus for some time now. The forest druid custom for my friend is still sitting on my desk but that's the only WIP I have. I will try to find some time and motivation to start again! It would be great to do a custom swap sometime this year.

Quote from: BlackCurtains
Another question! Do you sign your ponies with your real name or your online/art name? I have always done BC or in the beginning it was BCC for BlackCurtains Customs, but I dropped the second C at some point.

I use my real initials + year, the same signature that I use to sign all my artwork. I know it's not very helpful if my customs pass hands at some point, but...

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #453 on: March 27, 2023, 01:18:16 PM »
I've been on a hiatus for some time now. The forest druid custom for my friend is still sitting on my desk but that's the only WIP I have. I will try to find some time and motivation to start again! It would be great to do a custom swap sometime this year.

Working on the DTIYS challenge pony yesterday was the push I needed and I was finally able to finish the paintwork on this one as well! :frolic: I'd already signed the hoof with 2022 so had to add the current year. XD In truth the pony has been a WIP since 2020 or 2021.

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #454 on: April 13, 2023, 11:46:37 AM »
Had my first accident with a custom last night. Was trying to cut the neck peg out when my hand slipped and I gashed my hand instead. :sleepy:  If anyone has any advice on how to safely get out neck pegs, it would be much appreciated.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #455 on: April 13, 2023, 12:02:46 PM »
What gen? I don't know about gen 4 or 5, they have their own weird thing going on.

Gen 1, 2 and 3 have similar neck plugs. It's a good idea to boil them. Just toss 'em in some boiling water, wait about 30 seconds, use tongs or something to pick them up, wrap a towel around the body and try to rip the head off. The heat will loosen the glue. I also use an exacto knife along the neck seam if it still won't come off. I do a little section then put the pony back in the boil, then do another section, etc. Eventually, usually, they come off.

I think TRTL did a thread on prepping G5. I'll see if I can find it.

Well, I couldn't find that exact thread Found it! https://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=401911.msg1859134#msg1859134

This one might help a little too https://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=401879.msg1858745#msg1858745
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 12:22:39 PM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline starscout

• View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #456 on: April 14, 2023, 02:29:28 AM »
The one I was prepping was one of the G4 retro-styled ponies. I've never had much trouble with customizing G1 and G3, but the later G4 toys have consistently been a pain to work with. I recently had a similar issue with a Celestia I was customizing, and with her, I gave up on digging her neck peg out and just opted to glue her tail in.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #457 on: April 14, 2023, 07:02:18 AM »
Ah, maybe try looking up some videos on YouTube? I didn't find a lot about prepping G4 on the forum.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #458 on: April 14, 2023, 11:05:43 AM »
G4s can be a pain to prep! I usually just cut with an x-acto knife - very carefully! - around the neck. But it takes a lot of patience and you need to go very slowly. No matter how careful I am, I usually manage to slice into the neck at some point... I always hope it won't be too noticeable. I wonder if there's an easier way to do it without breaking the peg. I like my customs to have turning heads if possible. :)

Oh, an it really needs to be an x-acto or surgical kind of blade, not a box cutter blade as that would be too wide.

Offline starscout

• View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2023, 03:47:18 PM »
I appreciate it, BC. And thanks, Griffin. I was actually using a box cutter on the pony when I sliced my hand. Looks like I'll just have to pick up an x-acto knife once I can work on customs again.

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2023, 04:16:45 PM »
Well folks, the style challenge showed me that certain Phony Baby Ponies pass as Ponies so I have several on the go. Another hairing day coming soon!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #461 on: May 01, 2023, 11:44:25 AM »
I grabbed some fakies I've been eyeing on my shelf for a while for customising. They're (were!) super ugly and I want to see if I can make them prettier. I need some stress-free projects to counterbalance work stress! I've picked the colours but haven't decided on themes yet. This time I didn't bother drawing up any plans. I just want to play around :P

My friend's pony is at this annoying stage of being almost complete. I'm dying to show the custom off but can't bring myself to do the final sculpting session or two. This is a very common thing with any projects I work on... I hit a slump towards the end. I think I need a deadline to motivate me to finish  :lol:

Aaand it's time to start planning the Birthday swap custom!

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 01, 2023, 12:13:09 PM »
My Customising is slowing down in favour of crochet. I have another thing to show off!!! And it turned out good enough I'm making more like it. On the last one then I have to trim them. Also the ones I've still to do need: paint (I don't want yet another pinky-purple one & that's the most common colour, so paint is essential), horns (yep, I want two to be unicorns so here goes me with Apoxie again), & fading (I dyed a couple: one yellow & one orange & both turned out a little dark so if I can fade them down then sorted, but that takes its sweet time, especially here where sun is not a big thing).
And for the other projects well, they're on hold too...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #463 on: May 01, 2023, 12:46:19 PM »
I hope I'm not in over my head ^^; I have an overdue commission, a commission as a prize, the birthday custom swap and I was commissioned today for two detailed sculpted ponies. I guess I will be doing a lot of working on customs in the coming months!

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Customizers\' chit-chat thread
« Reply #464 on: May 06, 2023, 10:06:29 AM »
Had a go at sculpting something rather special. Will need to dry overnight & phone will need charged, but I'm pretty proud so far!!! The sculpt in question is sitting on some improv props for now...

Post Merge: May 06, 2023, 10:16:02 PM

Guess who...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 10:16:02 PM by Ponybookworm »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal