collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The best piece of advice you ever received..  (Read 1742 times)

creampuf

• Trade Count: (0)
The best piece of advice you ever received..
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
We all have it...

that one piece of advice that really moved us...made us better or just keeps you sane while you work...

mine comes from my mom..."There is no true symmetry, nature doesn't make life that way, look at your face, really look and even it isn't symmetrical."

Had she never said that I don't' think I'd EVER have gotten through a pair of eyes or a pair of wings!

what's yours? (only one piece)

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The best piece of advice you ever received..
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »
Practice practice practice

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »
Its hard to pick just one. Probably that practice makes permanent. However you practice is how you will grow. If you practice something the wrong way or with fear and doubt you will always have fear and doubt because that is what you condition yourself to do. But if you practice with love and confidence then you will always do everything that way. Because however you approach things,that is how they will become cemented in your mind.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline ViciousJupiter

• Trade Count: (+167)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • OOooOO Shiney!
    • View Profile
    • Vicious Studios
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:51:15 AM »
Layering...  Although I have not mastered said advice, it has helped improve my painting tremendously.  I haven't gotten quite the right handle on it, but I hope to eventually.
~Feel free to remind me to leave you feedback!  I'm forgetful!~

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »
Hmm.... in college I had a professor that was very difficult to deal with.  He didn't want his students to be so protective of their work that they were afraid to damage or even destroy it.  I didn't understand at the time, but he was teaching us to take risks and make changes or even start over.  Sometimes artists feel that their work is too precious to risk changing something, even if the work would be so much better for that change.  So now, acetone is my friend (lol).  If I painted it once, I can paint it again.  It boils down to "Never be too afraid to take risks."

Offline AlexK

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom My Little Ponies by AlexK
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »
My mum has always said to be patient! Sometimes your art doesn't look right as you are creating it but so long as you stick with it without getting frustrated you can end up with exactly the picture you had in your head when you started! I think if I didn't follow this advice I wouldnt have finished any ponies!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »
Question authority, but not your mother.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:56:18 PM »
Hmm.... in college I had a professor that was very difficult to deal with.  He didn't want his students to be so protective of their work that they were afraid to damage or even destroy it.  I didn't understand at the time, but he was teaching us to take risks and make changes or even start over.  Sometimes artists feel that their work is too precious to risk changing something, even if the work would be so much better for that change.  So now, acetone is my friend (lol).  If I painted it once, I can paint it again.  It boils down to "Never be too afraid to take risks."

My animation instructors were the same. Some of the best advice I got was: "Sometimes, you need to kill your darlings." It's very similar to your advice but instead of being "Never be too afraid to take risks." It's more like "know when to stop and start over."

I "killed" many characters and plotlines in my courses that I loved. When I was lucky, they popped up again for another project.

creampuf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 05:55:25 AM »
Question authority, but not your mother.

LOL

I'll need to use that with my boys ^_^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal