collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Prototype SDCC Majesty Found!  (Read 2880 times)

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
Re: Prototype SDCC Majesty Found!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
Those are really cool!

Maybe the rarest G1 Pony ever?

This is such a huge peeve for me. G1 ended in 1995. The Basic Fun! remakes are retro. And they're remakes. I love them, yes. They're fun to collect. The packaging is great. But they are not true G1 ponies. The 25th anniversary remakes from 2008 are always referred to as G3. I don't see why these are any different.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 04:28:40 PM »
Those are really cool!

This is such a huge peeve for me. G1 ended in 1995. The Basic Fun! remakes are retro. And they're remakes. I love them, yes. They're fun to collect. The packaging is great. But they are not true G1 ponies. The 25th anniversary remakes from 2008 are always referred to as G3. I don't see why these are any different.

I've never referred to them as G3s.  Never heard anyone say that except you for the first time. Its the style of the pony, that determines the gen, not the year they were reintroduced and these and the 25ths are in the original style, or close to. Not old characters done in that specific gen style.

Repros are reproductions of a thing.

Retro is a returning style or thing that's been updated.

These are reproduction G1s. Majesty had been blinged out, so she's a Retro G1.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:35:44 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
I usually call them "G1 Retro" or something else along those lines. Makes it clear they're G1-styled, but not from the actual G1 era.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 05:29:18 PM »

I usually call them "G1 Retro" or something else along those lines. Makes it clear they're G1-styled, but not from the actual G1 era.

I do something similar.  Or just call them “Basic Fun ponies.”

It’s always cool to see some insight to the designing process.  But I agree that leaving the horn white was the best choice.

painted horns (and hooves) twinge my fakie-sense.

Agreed. 

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 06:14:54 PM »
I've never referred to them as G3s.  Never heard anyone say that except you for the first time. Its the style of the pony, that determines the gen, not the year they were reintroduced and these and the 25ths are in the original style, or close to. Not old characters done in that specific gen style.

Didn't I say they were retro? I'm referring to people saying that they're actual G1 ponies. They aren't, and I'm not sure why some collectors are up in arms that they're "decreasing the value of G1s" because they aren't G1s as typically identified and agreed upon by the community at large. If Ford produced a Mustang today that were identical to the original 1965 Mustang, it still wouldn't be a 1965 Mustang. It wasn't built then. It's a current model in the 1965 style, a tribute, if you will. So even asking if this is the most rare G1 ever can lead to incorrect info making its way into the community as fact when it isn't, as some of the incorrect info that still persists to this day has done.

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 06:23:07 PM »

Didn't I say they were retro? I'm referring to people saying that they're actual G1 ponies. They aren't, and I'm not sure why some collectors are up in arms that they're "decreasing the value of G1s" because they aren't G1s as typically identified and agreed upon by the community at large. If Ford produced a Mustang today that were identical to the original 1965 Mustang, it still wouldn't be a 1965 Mustang. It wasn't built then. It's a current model in the 1965 style, a tribute, if you will. So even asking if this is the most rare G1 ever can lead to incorrect info making its way into the community as fact when it isn't, as some of the incorrect info that still persists to this day has done.

In the original poster of the pictures defense he just buys toys MLP for his daughter (he has told me MLP are very rare or impossible to find in China so and the only way to get them is by buying stock from factories) and sells extras he buys in bulk on a little online toy store He runs. He’s probably still learning the ins and outs of MLP and the correct terminology. 😅
I do agree that it is important to distinguish between the two though. 🙂

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 06:29:50 PM »
I think this release is so pretty.  And more glitter is always better
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 06:38:17 PM »

I said Repro. As in reproduction. There is a difference. That's not misinformation at all. Anyone who chooses to interpret Repro/ Anniversary G1s as misinforming others, well that's on them.

I honestly haven't heard anyone complain about this line devalueing ponies, considering that they aren't busting out rare or valueable ones.  Nor do I expect Basic Fun to know which ones will go for outrageous prices, and which are a dime-a-dozen. These specific re-releases can easily be found on eBay anyway.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:09:36 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 07:06:37 PM »
LAW, I think Skig is talking about the OP (on Instagram) who referred to this pony as a "G1" when she talks about things being misleading :) Not your post.

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 07:09:43 PM »
Maybe it’s just be, but I think she looks like she just walked through a patterned wallpaper and doesn’t care. I just don’t really know where to look...it’s so busy.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2020, 07:12:34 PM »
LAW, I think Skig is talking about the OP (on Instagram) who referred to this pony as a "G1" when she talks about things being misleading :) Not your post.

She said they weren't G1s. They are G1s. That's all I'm saying.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
Let's call them G1.5.

(stands back and waits for all the fakies to be thrown her way).

In seriousness, I think of them as G1 retros or BF ponies. I don't see them as the same as the G1s from the 1980s but they are G1 style. So I see all points on this.

I have never heard of the 25th anniversary ponies being called anything other than 25th anniversary ponies or 25th anniversary collector ponies.

...Or a waste of money with poor QC.

I actually had to reread that a couple of times because I thought initially it was talking about the newer G3 retros and then saw it said 2008.

All that said, I don't understand why anyone would see the retros as replacing/challenging G1 ponies from the 1980s in terms of anything. They're clearly marked on the hooves. They are far less risk to the 'value' and integrity of G1 than a custom version of a rare pony using an old G1 base being sold irresponsibly. I have serious issue with the latter, but none with the former.

It's also why I like that the Retros have minor differences. ALthough many of the retro ponies also never had a G1 release in the UK, which may be why I'm fairly liberal on them.

If I am honest, they are more 'real MLP' than Hasbro's fakie mould retro attempt in the M6 pack and Twilight.

...And the rarest G1 pony ever subject is academic...because there are numerous OOAK ponies out there from G1 itself. They obviously get higher billing, being in the original timeframe and from Hasbro direct.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:02:24 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2020, 11:55:47 AM »
I've only ever referred to them as G1 Retros or BF Ponies.
This prototype is so cool! I had no clue the actual release was pearly, too.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 02:53:27 AM »

In the original poster of the pictures defense he just buys toys MLP for his daughter (he has told me MLP are very rare or impossible to find in China so and the only way to get them is by buying stock from factories) and sells extras he buys in bulk on a little online toy store He runs. He’s probably still learning the ins and outs of MLP and the correct terminology. 😅
I do agree that it is important to distinguish between the two though. 🙂

Is he looking to adopt another kid, you think? :P I need one of those SDCC Majesties! :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 05:20:41 AM »
Those are really cool!

I've never referred to them as G3s.  Never heard anyone say that except you for the first time.

Nah, I remember people saying that too back in the day. It was before the basic fun ponies came out.. probably way closer to 2008. People weren't sure where to put the lone hasbro produced reproductions. And it could of been a thread of discussion, where many people had different ideas.

I wouldn't personally consider something from 2020 to be a part of G1.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal