collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Looking for Artist to Design/Draw Book Cover - nonpony art  (Read 310 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Looking for Artist to Design/Draw Book Cover - nonpony art
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »
Good morning pony artists!

Thanks for checking into this thread! Firstly, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread. Mods, please feel free to move this to Off Topic if it is needed. I've seen non-pony art in this thread before, so I thought here would be the best place to look for an artist.

I am posting this because I know there's a LOT of talented artists here on MLPArena, and right now I'm a member of a group that is looking for the services of one.

A small group of local writers in my area has come together with a goal of publishing a series of anthologies of sci fi and fantasy short stories called Scribings. I've joined them in time for publishing vol. 3, which has the theme of 'metamorphosis.' The stories in this volume all deal with themes of change and transformation. Whether it be a stone gargoyle in present-day France who comes to life to protect a church from an old evil, or a gymnast who cheats her way into the Olympics in the future with a program that allows her to see footage from nearby video cameras in her mind.

For volumes 1 and 2 the writers themselves put together the covers for the volumes, but now with volume 3, we're trying to find cover art by a 'real artist.' Rather than, you know, "Here's a cool photo I took, let's put it in Photoshop and add some effects and a title." XD;

Volumes 1 and 2 were mostly only in e-book form. Volume 3 will still be mostly available as an e-book, but we'll be doing a small print run of physical copies as well. The e-book will most likely be priced at $2.99, and the printed copy somewhere around $6-8 each.

Now, on to the subject of payment... first let me say we are all very poor broke writers. ^_^;; Almost all the money made from the sales of the book goes right back into marketing to get the word out that the book exists, and to pay for the physical copies to be printed. We are hoping to find someone who might be interested in donating their talent in exchange for having their art be on the cover of our book, rather than a royalty payment. You would be acknowledged on the copyright page and I'll make sure you get at least one free copy of the physical book.

If this sounds like it might be an interesting project for you, please let me know! I'll be happy to pass along the specs we'd need the art to be (it has to be a very high res image in order to print correctly, for example, and has to be a certain size to fit on front cover and back cover and spine) and to talk more about what we're looking for cover art (basically an image that works with the anthology theme, metamorphosis, and also might work with some of the short stories in the book).

Our group meets every other Tuesday night for now. We're discussing changing it to a weekly meeting, but for now it's bi-weekly. If anyone is interested in making some preliminary sketches of your ideas, I'd be happy to bring them along to the next meeting (April 8 ) and show them to the other writers. :)

Whew, that was a lot to type. Thanks for reading all the way down to here! ^_^

PS: I am not the 'head of the cover art' department or anything like that, lol, we're all looking for potential cover art on our own and we'll bring it to a vote at a future meeting. So I can't promise anyone that their piece will be used, but I am hoping to find a nice piece for our book. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
Re: Looking for Artist to Design/Draw Book Cover - nonpony art
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
I wouldn't mind doing this :) Have a look at my deviantART (it's on my sig) to have a better idea - if it suits your needs, PM me.

I also wouldn't mind doing this for a some ponies in exchange *hint hint, nudge nudge* xD

justme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »
I would love to do this (:
when I read this I immediately fetched my sketchbook & pencils and started sketching.

this was the first thing I thought of.
hope you like it ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

and your books sound very interesting, what are they called?

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »
Sounds like a great project!  :D  You can also check out our Commissions Artist thread here:  http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318748.0.html.  Most artists in that thread are probably looking for paid commissions, but you might have some luck finding someone who is interested in your project.  :)

Here's a little :bump: for you in the meantime!  :accomplished:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal