collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Animation cels  (Read 3925 times)

Offline moondancer1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Animation cels
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:09 AM »
Hello!  I bought some animation cels and they are in nice condition and appear original.  The issue is I want to frame them but this would obviously alter thier original condition.  I am torn, but I cant really enjoy them in thier current state.  They would be very nice matted, framed and hung on the wall where I can see them!  I did not pay alot for them and I dont think they are particularly valuable.  Any thoughts!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Animation cels
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »
Take them to a professional framing shop - they have materials that will help slow the disintegration of celluloid.  :)  Also when you display them, keep them AWAY from natural sunlight as much as possible. 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
Yes, if it was me I would also take them to a framers - they will have experience in dealing with framing material like this and you are better spending the money to frame them perfectly than perhaps have them damaged or devalued. I am sure they will look fantastic displayed professionally like that and you will probably enjoy them so much more!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
I'm not sure I understand something...why would framing them alter their original condition?

I have some animation cels...getting them professionally framed protects their original condition and keeps them from yellowing, peeling, sticking to things, etc. You also want to keep dirt and oil from your hands off of them.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
have them framed by a pro, and if they still have the paper sketch with them, take them off and store them away from the cels, if you leave the sketches on the cels, the cels will stick to the sketch and be super hard to remove! I know this because i have like 300 pony tales cels that the seller did not store right and the sketches are stuck to the cels!. I hope you enjoy them! each one is one of a kind:)
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline moondancer1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »
quote author=Elisto link=topic=294536.msg171017#msg171017 date=1335722222]
I'm not sure I understand something...why would framing them alter their original condition?

I have some animation cels...getting them professionally framed protects their original condition and keeps them from yellowing, peeling, sticking to things, etc. You also want to keep dirt and oil from your hands off of them.

Well I guess I was assuming that once they are matted and framed that this cannot be undone.  Also I am not sure if this process would required cutting them.  They have the original drawings but they are stuck to the paint.  The seller said that wetting the paper will remove them but ruin the drawngs. 

It sounds like framing them is the best for preserving them.  I think I will get one of my favorites (Daddy Berrytown !!) done an see how it turns out!  Thanks everyone!  :)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:32:15 AM »
Acid-free tape might be used to hold them in place, but nothing that will ruin them. And no, professional framers don't cut the artwork, no matter what kind it is!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »
Hello!  I bought some animation cels and they are in nice condition and appear original.  The issue is I want to frame them but this would obviously alter thier original condition.  I am torn, but I cant really enjoy them in thier current state.  They would be very nice matted, framed and hung on the wall where I can see them!  I did not pay alot for them and I dont think they are particularly valuable.  Any thoughts!

Are you asking if it's okay to cut them or something?  If that thought crossed your mind then don't do it! lol

Anybody know a good way to store cel's without framing them?  I also have a lot of them but don't really want to frame 100 of them. :(

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:35:12 AM »

Are you asking if it's okay to cut them or something?  If that thought crossed your mind then don't do it! lol

Anybody know a good way to store cel's without framing them?  I also have a lot of them but don't really want to frame 100 of them. :(

Here is some common sense good advice from an expert...
  • If you just want to keep your artwork in storage (either as an investment, or because you don't want to display it any more,) do not stack lots of cels on top of each other. The ideal is to have a special shelf cabinet with thin sliding shelves spaced an inch apart: this way you can store maybe 2 or 3 cels in a stack per shelf.
  • Do not place heavy objects on top of the cel. This stresses the paint, may cause it to crack sooner, and may also cause the paint to adhere to whatever is touching it. If you don't have a cel shelf, buy some semi-glossy paper, some animation paper, or even animation cels, and use same to protect the paint on the back side when you put the cel in storage (otherwise, the different cels may stick to each other.) Tissue paper is also good. Then, store the cels as you would record albums -- in a vertical position, with something stiff (like heavy cardboard, or a thin sheet of wood or metal) to act as a support to prevent the cels from sagging or curling. If you have the matching background painting, store it together with its cel(s).
  • Pencil drawings, model sheets, and storyboards can be stored just like any other paper records that you want to have kept in good condition. Placing them in a folder and stored vertically is just fine, but they can also be kept in a stack.
  • As a general rule, any artwork placed in direct sunlight will fade and age more quickly.
  • For storage conditions, keep in mind that temperature and humidity extremes that make you feel uncomfortable will probably also have an adverse effect on your artwork. So, try to keep the temperature between 50 and 90 degrees, and the humidity fairly low.
  • If your artwork has been framed, feel free to stack the frames on top of each other, with some kind of padding in the middle to prevent scratches to the frames themselves.
  • If your artwork has been matted, wrap the mattes in tissue paper, and either place them on storage shelves, or placed vertically in a box with enough support to keep the mattes from sagging or bending under their own weight (but not so tightly packed as to squeeze the mattes and cels.)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
I would professionally frame them. Most professionals understand how to preserve animation cells.
I don't want to be push but... pics?

ladybrooklyn

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
I would professionally frame them. Most professionals understand how to preserve animation cells.
I don't want to be push but... pics?

This si true... but I can tell you from experience (IE working there)... MOST Michael's framing dept (or for that matter... Hobby Lobby or Joann's...) employees have NO IDEA how to handle animation cels.

They are SUPPOSED to use gloves... this doesn't always happen... And you don't want the oils from human skin on the cels themselves...

They are SUPPOSED to frame everything, in a manner that does not alter the item itself. IE: NO TAPE.

And never... EVER use tape of ANY KIND on an animation cel... tape is irreversable.... trying to take it off at some point... will either leave residue... or it will be left on the cel itself.

Very carefully research ANY framing shop you take them to.

Ask them how they handle the artwork... and be sure to ASK them to be sure to use gloves. Tell them how sensitive animation cels are to the oils on skin.

Also be sure to get as close to 100% U/V protectant glass/fiberglass as possible. If you don't... you run the risk of your cel fading over time. Trust me. I live in Arizona... ANYTHIng you hang on the walls in your house... even if it barely get ANY sunlight... WILL FADE eventually... if your glass isn't U/V protected.

Michaels has three types of class... Regular glass (no reflection reduction... but it's still U/V protected), Non glare (I, personally, HATE the stuff. It's fogged chemically, to reduce the glare, and it often subtly changes the colors in your piece.), and the best stuff... Masterpiece.

Masterpiece glass... is AWESOME...  but also expensive. It'sreally just a step down from museum quality glass. It has glare reduction... without being foggy. When you put it over your artwork... it all but disappears... it's REALLY hard to see it... OMG it's wonderful stuff. If I could, every framed bit of artwork in my house would be reframed with this stuff. ;)

As I said... it's expensive.

BUT... for framing animation cels... I would suggest nothing less. ;)

Anywho... be careful what michaels/joanns you take your pieces too...

OH! And most importantly...

NEVER... EVER take ANYTHING to be framed at Hobby Lobby... PERIOD! I can't TELL you how many pieces they ruined... that I then had to find some way to fix... in my time at Michaels. I just do not approve of their presevation methods AT ALL...

Ok... hope that helps! :good:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Don't go to a big box/ craft store to get your animation cels framed.
As was mentioned, the staff generally have ZERO training on proper handling methods and archival practices, they're only interested in doing the job as fast as possible to get through volume.

Go to a professional, it's worth the extra cost to get the job done right.  Animation cels are one of a kind and irreplaceable. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

ladybrooklyn

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »
Go to a professional, it's worth the extra cost to get the job done right.  Animation cels are one of a kind and irreplaceable. 

ESPECIALLY since they aren't actually being USED in animated shows anymore. :( Such a sad turn of events... but 99% of all traditional "cel" animation these days... is drawn, and colored... in the computer. :sad:

I don't know if I'd say avoid ALL "big box" craft stores. If I was still working at the Michaels in Rockwall, TX... I'd say bring them up to me! *I* know how to handle them... and I did so on several occations. ;)

There ARE employees at these stores... who take pride in their jobs... and know how to frame archivally. I'm proof of that. ;)

BUT... it is true that for the most part... they are concerned with quanity completed... NOT the quality with which they are finished.

*sigh* I do miss the actual FRAMING aspect of working there... I just can't go back to the "politics" and other crap that Michaels as a business... placed on their employees. Not to mention their unrealistic expectations to what you SHOULD complete in an 8 hr day....  >_<
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:53:08 PM by ladybrooklyn »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »
There are of course exceptions to every rule, and yes, once in a while you'll find someone at a big box store who knows what they're doing.  X3  It's so rare though, why take that risk when it's far more likely you'll get some overworked, underpaid, untrained person who may or may not do their best, and is likely to muck up your collectible.  Let's face it most of what places like Michael's gets to frame are *not* one of a kind items that can't just be printed off again. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

ladybrooklyn

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »
I dunno... I dealt with A LOT of heirlooms... precious photos... and the like. You'd be surprized.

Of course... I ALWAYS suggested to scan and preserve photos BEFORE being framed... that way.. if something happened... you have a digital copy. But of course, that only applies to photos... :lol:

Animation cels are tricky... I honestly dunno if I'd even trust a "regular" framing store. Personally... I'd have to see the process they use to frame... the supplies they have... etc. ;)

I'm more than greatful for the knowledge I gained while working at Michaels... But the problem is... now I don't want anyone BUT me to handle any artwork I'd have framed! :lol: But alas... I don't have the ROOM to do a good job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal