collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FIM S7 E21 Marks and Recreation  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
FIM S7 E21 Marks and Recreation
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:35:47 PM »
This most recent episode is a Cutie Mark Crusaders one!

In a continued effort to help blank flank ponies get their cutie marks, the CMC open their very own day camp! Unfortunately trouble begins to stir when young Rumble makes a scene, declaring blank flanks are better because once you find your cutie mark, you'll be trapped doing what it represents forever! While obviously untrue, he easily convinces the others to join his cause, and the CMC must figure out why Rumble has such strong feelings with the help of Rumble's older brother - Thunderlane.

Not a bad episode for the CMC! I usually don't like episodes centered on their activities. Rumble's song was also pretty fun, props to Ingram for producing another great piece for the show.

What are your thoughts?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: FIM S7 E21 Marks and Recreation
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 05:26:27 PM »
The episode was fun enough.  Rumble making them to all just stop wherever they are (and one of them stuck in a tree) was a fun gag.

However, the more they concentrate on cutie marks, the more broken the concept becomes.  A cutie mark is a representation of the pony, and it should be kept that simple.  We're getting to bugs in your cells give you power over the Force territory here.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
I liked it.  It was a fun episode.  I really liked the designs of several of the new ponies.

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »
I'd give this one a thumbs up.

Rumble was such an enjoyable pain in the flank; he's like a little edgelord.  :cool:  Seeing him call out Apple Bloom about not making potions with Zecora in a long time was great, and it is a very good point.

Probably my favorite part was when Scootaloo claims that she's practically Rainbow Dash's sister, and everyone just ignores her and returns to admiring Thunderlane. Felt so cathartic.

Thunderlane was great too. A very loving older brother he is. Definitely a long way they have come since Hurricane Fluttershy.

The song was really catchy. It's probably my favorite of the season so far (a close tie with "You're In My Head Like a Catchy Song").

My only real issue with the episode is that it asks questions about how cutie marks work but doesn't answer them, particularly when Pipsqueak asks if you can't get a cutie mark in something you like.

That said, I do like the moral and really cements the fact that cutie marks are really just an afterthought compared to your actual skillset and personality.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 11:02:10 PM »
Not a huge standout of an episode, but super cute anyway :)

I love that both Rumble and Thunderlane got some characterisation! They've been very interesting-looking background characters right from the start, so it was fun to give them some screentime in the spotlight. Thunderlane in particular, is my favourite backgrounder stallion (I just adore his colour scheme), so it was great to get to see him involved!

Ahh also the little haiku filly was adorable!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 02:28:09 AM »
I never like it when little kids sound like 20 year olds. It somehow stops me from finding that character cute. Haiku pony was the stand-out to me, she was adorable. Where are the G3 foals at?

It would have been funnier if Rumble had brought up the cutie-mark related incidents that did force the ponies to do something or make them lose their talent. Like the Cutie Pox or Starlight removing the marks with magic.
That stuff could confuse a child or generic fan of the show :lol:

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 05:02:58 AM »
I don't think Rumble was entirely in the wrong here. Even if cutie marks don't affect what you can do in your free time, they definitely affect your place in pony society. Thunderlane will never be able to get a job as, say, a chef because any pony with a ladle on her butt will be a more attractive employee. Also, Sweetie Belle didn't really strengthen her case by saying cutie marks make you special. That implies a lack thereof means you're not special, which is exactly what Diamond Tiara was saying in season 1.
You know, the real villain here isn't Rumble... It's society.

But yeah, good episode. I'm surprised Starlight Glimmer didn't get involved :P

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 06:54:44 AM »
I'm surprised neither Diamond Tiara nor Silver Spoon got any dialogue for two seasons so far.
I like this show, but sometimes they really really take their sweet time to go anywhere.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 07:30:56 AM »
Thunderlane will never be able to get a job as, say, a chef because any pony with a ladle on her butt will be a more attractive employee.

Hahaha! I love overthinking FiM because of the dark implications it produces sometimes. Like most unicorns being in positions of power thanks to their magic but Earth ponies are perfectly happy growing crops and doing manual labor.
That's why Starlight had a point, the cutiemarks/talents of ponies SHOULD destroy friendships. They would in the real world.
Sunburst was rewarded for his cutiemark even though he wasn't even good at magic. Unicorn privilege? :lol:

FiM would look very different if it wasn't made for kids but thankfully it is ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal