collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New 35th Anniversary Collector Ponies Spotted! Pics!  (Read 141612 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New 35th Anniversary Collector Ponies Spotted! Pics!
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2018, 05:32:06 PM »
Definitely going to pick at least 2 up. Don't know who, just yet. Maybe Cotton Candy and Buttersctotch?

Also, am I the onlh one who want Hasbro to acknowledge and do more retro releases for Mai Ritoruu Ponii (Takara), and g2 ( Friendship Gardens)?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »
I am happy to see vintage ponies in the stores, but as someone with the full set of collector ponies, these are a bit of a disappointment. I do not need a 4th set of collector ponies, and there are over 500 other ponies they could have chosen. Why not release the first year set with Glory, Firefly, Apple-freakin-jack!!!???? I think more parents have positive memories of their childhood Firefly than of Butterscotch. (Nothing against Butterscotch, just ranting!)
Plus more dynamic or interesting poses, color combinations, breeds...  If they are going to charge ten dollars for a plastic horse, I would like it if they tried a little harder.

I will only buy these if I see them on a very good clearance. Keep trying, Hasbro.

I totally agree.  I'm really stoked that they decided to celebrate the 25th anniversary.  (Have they decided to only celebrate anniversaries when the current gen is on the downhill slope?).

But I'm really dissapointed that they released the collectors ponies, again.  I already have the ones from the 25th anniversary and the originals, of course.  And yes, it would have made so much more sense to release the ponies seen in RAMC.  They would appeal to both collectors and bronies a lot more than this set.  Or, if they were determined to release ponies in that pose, then there are still plenty of ponies to choose from.  Birth flowers maybe?  Alternate birth flowers? 

I just feel like those average grown ups in the toy isle are less likely to feel an affinity for these ponies specificly but just the aesthetics of gen 1 ponies.

I'm conflicted about buying these.  I really want to support the idea of retro ponies.  I really don't want to spend the money on *these* ponies.

How bout they just appeal to kids and collectors instead?

If I were going to buy a present for a kid and I wanted to get them a pony, I would be more likely to buy one that I had as a kid. That is what I meant.
We, as collectors, are a fussy group. Kids are used to FiM, my neices don't like the old ponies, not really. And I don't know that Bronies are the target market here.

I am happy to see vintage ponies in the stores, but as someone with the full set of collector ponies, these are a bit of a disappointment. I do not need a 4th set of collector ponies, and there are over 500 other ponies they could have chosen. Why not release the first year set with Glory, Firefly, Apple-freakin-jack!!!???? I think more parents have positive memories of their childhood Firefly than of Butterscotch. (Nothing against Butterscotch, just ranting!)
Plus more dynamic or interesting poses, color combinations, breeds...  If they are going to charge ten dollars for a plastic horse, I would like it if they tried a little harder.

I will only buy these if I see them on a very good clearance. Keep trying, Hasbro.

I totally agree.  I'm really stoked that they decided to celebrate the 25th anniversary.  (Have they decided to only celebrate anniversaries when the current gen is on the downhill slope?).

But I'm really dissapointed that they released the collectors ponies, again.  I already have the ones from the 25th anniversary and the originals, of course.  And yes, it would have made so much more sense to release the ponies seen in RAMC.  They would appeal to both collectors and bronies a lot more than this set.  Or, if they were determined to release ponies in that pose, then there are still plenty of ponies to choose from.  Birth flowers maybe?  Alternate birth flowers? 

I just feel like those average grown ups in the toy isle are less likely to feel an affinity for these ponies specificly but just the aesthetics of gen 1 ponies.

I'm conflicted about buying these.  I really want to support the idea of retro ponies.  I really don't want to spend the money on *these* ponies.

If I were going to buy a present for a kid and I wanted to get them a pony, I would be more likely to buy one that I had as a kid. That is what I meant.
We, as collectors, are a fussy group. Kids are used to FiM, my neices don't like the old ponies, not really. And I don't know that Bronies are the target market here.

Sorry Aurora.  I was responding  to Sunset not you. ^^;

Bronies are definetly not the target market for these. Except the ones the ones who do collect older gens.

Kids will see a new toy that older relatives may have mentioned they also played with. Other kids do grow up with relatives who still have or collect ponies. My daughter has a sizeable G1 herd. Two of my littlest cousins are enchanted with my G1s and G3s. It's a matter of personal taste.

Collectors will see nostalgia and/or repetition.

This is a really long quote! Tee-hee!

No worries, just figured I should clarify.

Sometimes I wish I could see the research data, maybe I would be less frustrated!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2018, 05:41:22 PM »
How similar are these ponies to the 25th re-release? Are the colors and styles the same? Are these 35th anniversary ones closer to the originals?

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »
How similar are these ponies to the 25th re-release? Are the colors and styles the same? Are these 35th anniversary ones closer to the originals?

The colors are similar to the 25th anniversary re-releases.  The quality is better, though--plastic is softer, they don't tip over, etc.  Much more like the originals than the G3 era releases.

ETA: They are the concave hoof pose rather than the flatfoot pose.  I think they are slated to be on shelves January 7, so may not be out in all Targets yet.  They are licensed from Hasbro, but made by another company.  The enclosed poster indicates that there may be more coming, so perhaps we will get other G1 favorites if these sell well :).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:05:27 PM by Raindrop »

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
Snuzzle and Cotton Candy have fading pink hair, they all are in the concave foot CP rather than flat foot, they have eyes closer to the originals, they have a forelock, they are in single packs rather than three, they come with a poster, and they are of better quality. The colors are a bit different. They are much closer to actual G1s :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2018, 06:47:46 PM »
So super cool! Fingers crossed they'll come to Aus!

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2018, 06:55:32 PM »
I just picked up Minty, Snuzzle, and Cotton Candy, and I love these so much more than the 2007 re-releases. My Target only had one of each pony on the shelf, but I'm assuming they had more in the back. I might go back this weekend to pick up the rest if they restock.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »
That G1 art :lovey: Wish the 25th anniversary ponies had been released individually. Take up less room and maybe would have sold better. I know it was a bit of sticker shock being on a budget and finding a set.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline BuckinghamAlice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Lost in a Curious Dream
    • View Profile
    • NovelHeart Pony Blog
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2018, 06:59:42 PM »
I only have one of the original six CP ponies (Cotton Candy) so I'm happy to see these.  It's nice for the anniversary, and the collector fanbase, to be acknowledged.  I hope to get Minty, at least!

Thank you to Bekuno and tailrustedtealeaf for the adoptables!
*~More NovelHeart/Pony Tumblr/Instagram~*

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
I am going to stop at my local Target tomorrow to see if they have any of them! :)

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »
I honestly can’t decide which one to get first.  I haven’t been this excited about new MLP toys in a looooong time!!  The biggest question is, which one do I buy first?  This is gonna be a really hard decision to make!  Boy, between these, and the anniversary retro Care Bears, Target is rocking this year so far!! 

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2018, 07:25:38 PM »

Sorry Aurora.  I was responding  to Sunset not you. ^^;

Bronies are definetly not the target market for these. Except the ones the ones who do collect older gens.

Kids will see a new toy that older relatives may have mentioned they also played with. Other kids do grow up with relatives who still have or collect ponies. My daughter has a sizeable G1 herd. Two of my littlest cousins are enchanted with my G1s and G3s. It's a matter of personal taste.

Collectors will see nostalgia and/or repetition.

I didn't mean that  bronies per se are the target for these.  But this company is out to make money and why would they not try to maximize the money they can make by choosing the most popular ponies among adult buyers regardless of whether those adults identify as collector, Brony, or other?  if the RAMC ponies, for example, are popular among both collectors and bronies then that effectively doubles the number of adults who might be willing to plunk down their money on these.  Look at the uptick on prices for ponies like g1 Applejack and Twilight.

In fact, it *could* even be argued that these aren't for collectors either.  Certainly they want to entice collectors by making them better quality with pretty packaging but the truth is that most collectors already have most of these ponies, usually multiple versions.  That's why when I found them today, I only bought one just for the purposes of doing a video.

I think the major target here is nostalgia from the average mom going down the toy isle.  And certainly the scenario that you discribed could happen.  But there where over 300 individual characters in the US alone during G1.  How likely is it that the average adult who had ponies as a child actually had one of these 6 ponies?  Or has specific enough memories of it?  How many times have we heard of a non-collector saying, " oh I had a pony/ies as a child!"  But then not be able to remember enough of it to identify which pony?  Not to mention the people who can't tell the difference between a real MLP and a fakie.  They just remember owning a "My Little Pony"

That's what I'm trying to say about the aesthetics of G1 versus actual character.

But, woo, after all of that is said, my original post was prior to learning that these are licensed.  So I'm willing to give this company a pass in choosing these 6 to start with.  Especially since it's looking positive about possibly getting new, different ponies.

It is interesting though that Hasbro would be willing to license out something this close to their original product.  I guess they really did feel burned by their last attempt and have decided to to take the licensing fee and let the other company take the actual risks.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2018, 07:47:42 PM »
There is a listing on ebay that has the whole set! The listeing there said the stores are only getting one set. Um I don't think that would be true! Cause that would not be very many set! I sure hope that is not true!

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2018, 08:05:12 PM »
These are adorable! And thank goodness they used the concave pose--I was *not pleased* when the 25th anniversary set came out FF. Hasbro fixed that pose for a reason! The concave pose is one of my favorites. Excited to see these and probably buy some . . . all?
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2018, 08:14:38 PM »
I'm probably going to email every store I can think that might carry these in Australia to see if they're going to stock them... I probably won't get much response, but it's worth a try.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal