collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Nostalgia Time. What got you into ponies? (Or back into ponies)  (Read 870 times)

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
Nostalgia Time. What got you into ponies? (Or back into ponies)
« on: October 13, 2015, 07:24:35 PM »
So I was looking at when I first joined the arena and getting back into ponies and it got me to being all nostalgic. I was wondering if anyone else does this? What got you into or back into ponies? Do you remember? Who helped suck you back in, as it were? Or did you just stumble upon ponies on accident and get hooked?

I was brought back into the pony community by Chibi Skittles. I don't know if she's still active anymore. I know I haven't been super active recently. But anyway, she introduced me to the Arena because I was looking for someone to restore the glitter symbols on my G1 unicorns. She told me that one of those crazy people called "customizers" might be able to help. Little did I know that one day I would be one.

From there I met K Cherry Ka who did end up restoring my ponies for me, back before I knew how to do such things on my own.

I then was introduced to Cards4Me who it turns out, I went to church with her mom. And from her, I bought my first G3's. And got totally hooked.

Does anyone else have any stories or memories like that? Or am I the only person who goes through occasional nostalgia trips down memory lane?
Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Nostalgia Time. What got you into ponies? (Or back into ponies)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »
I was off of ponies after a while.. the end of G2 in America and pretty much sometime during when I was into Grand Champions but stopped buying those as well..

It wasn't until 2007 or 2008 when I got back into ponies fully (I still loved them just didn't buy them) when I met someone on Furcadia and I think she ended up pointing me to the Arena. It wasn't till 2009 when i actually joined. It was either 2007 or 2008 when I bough my first G3, which I said on Pony Talk it was Soda Float but it could have been Paradise Island that I bought first... they were both the same year..

I've been with ponies ever since despite G4 not quite what I hoped for..

My only regrets is not having enough space and giving up Strawberry Swirl's hat XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:06:57 PM »
I joined the Arena in fall 2010 because I was looking for somewhere to discuss Monster High. At the time I really didn't have a deep interest in ponies--I was here for the dollhouse. I didn't grow up with ponies, at least not in a big way I can remember. The MH dolls started out hard to find and then there got to be so many I couldn't keep up. (Didn't have the money or room.) I wandered off and did other things for years.

My return to the Arena came in February 2015 when I was introduced to Friendship is Magic through my bf's younger brother. I really liked the show and I wondered if anyone here was discussing it or its characters. Since some of those are based on older ponies from g1 or g3, I ended up looking at those generations. Since I was very interested in how everything tied together (I'm a writer and a history geek) I spent a lot of time looking at the ponies in detail and ended up really liking both of these gens.

Fast forward to now, and I have a pretty solid g4 collection that mainly focuses on the characters I like best from the show and a few side characters that I find aesthetically appealing. I have a dresser top full of g3s as well as an MIB g3 wall shrine that loops all around the wall behind my TV / PC Monitor. I also have a slowly growing bookshelf full of g1s, most of which I have received from people during swaps or that I've bought for myself while buying for swaps.

Ponies aren't my only or even primary collection. All of my collections sort of hop in and out of the spotlight as my mood cycles through them. The great thing about ponies, for me, is that since I love the vintage g1s and g3s most, I don't feel a massive pressure that I need to get them "now!" the way I do when I'm buying a modern toy. Building my collection slowly, steadily, and visiting with people here is actually what makes ponies unique from the majority of my other interests.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »
Ooooh...  My first two ponies were given to me when I was two, but I wasn't really into MLP until I was seven and I picked out a G3 Minty as a gift for a friend.  I wanted her sooo badly.  My parents bought me Skywishes and Butterscotch and I amassed a small army of fakies from the library's summer reading program.  But I still searched everywhere for Minty.  I had a keychain and a tiny tin and a McDonalds figure, but I could never find the actual pony.
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
Ember by Nence

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:40:54 PM »
i got back into ponies when i had an art booth at a convention and someone requested i draw g4 rainbow dash in a g3 style. no idea what they were talking about. well turns out it was a pony. so that was the first pony art i ever did, and i found out about the reboot tv show and got sucked in. without the show i wouldn't be into ponies now. (started collecting as a kid-said i wanted a pony for Christmas, so my family gave me blossom. XD )
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:46:06 PM by rosierjay »

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
Ever since long-haired Medley!  :blush: ^.^

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »
I'm an old school collector, I had probably 75 or so ponies as a kid, and when I got older, I passed them off to my little sister.  I never really stopped picking up ponies at yard sales and flea markets, because then they were for her. One day, I found a color swirl Springy, and I'd never had any bride pose ponies, had never seen them at all, so I was really confused!  The eyes were obviously mlp...so I bought her, even though my sis no longer wanted ponies, and looked up mlps online for the first time.  The rest is history, haha, and I scrambled into the garage to find them all and clean them up. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 08:50:33 PM »
I was never really into ponies when I was a kid, but I did have a few.

Flash forward twenty years later.  About eight years ago, my best friend gave me a G3 themed MLP birthday present, complete with a pony (Merriweather.). She was all excited, asking me if I remembered MLP from the 80s but I didn't really.  Still, I thought they were cute and I bought Silver Glow at TRU that night so that my pony would have a friend.

And then, about a week later, I was on eBay and I decided to start looking up vintage ponies.  And then I began to truly collect.  :D
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 08:59:23 PM »
I started collecting during early g3.  I don't know why other then I thought they were pretty.

I went on hiatus for a while until around 2012 when I watched the new show, Friendship is Magic.  I started collecting blind bag figures and dug out my old g3 ponies.  Eventually learned more about pony history and wanted g1 and g2 ponies.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 10:45:11 PM »
... I never stopped...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Kittywhiskers

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Kai, he/him or they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 12:36:52 AM »
I never actually had any ponies as a kid. At least, not MLP ones. My dad said they were stupid and tried to keep me away from them. I did manage to get a pair of fakies at one point but sadly I seem to have lost them.

Eventually I got into FiM and managed to use that to get him to understand there's nothing wrong with ponies. Then when I had my own money I tried getting some blind bags of the characters from the show and it spiraled out from there.

(Note: my dad isn't that bad a guy or anything, but when he gets an idea into his head it's almost impossible to argue.)
Cannot have anything scented in the house, unfortunately. Seeking the unscented, magnetless variant of Thistle Whistle. (And wishing the other Sunny Scent ponies got similar ones, because they're lovely. *sigh*)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 04:06:50 AM »
Love this kind of thread!! its always so interesting to read how others got into ponies  :cheer:

Personally I've been into ponies since the very first days of G1 (yes I'm showing my age :blush: :yikes: :P ) when mom bought me Bluebelle and Butterscotch (with their UK accessories) from a catalogue for me as a gift after I fell in love with my neighbours G1 Bowtie and didn't want to give her back :lol:
I had over 200 childhood ponies - I still have them all :heart:  you know who my faves are of course - that hasn't changed since 1989/90 :P     I did stop collecting for a while when I went through my late teens /early 20's due to peer pressure but TBH then I got old enough to know I didn't care what anyone else thought of my toy collections and started to buy again - especailly when G3 were in stores. G2 never appealed to me so I went on a hiatus while they were about , but G3 = :lovey: . My hubby encouraged me to get *all* of my childhood G1 ponies back out of hiding in 2008 ish  (he is also a toy collector. We have enough toys to have our own toy shop now :silly:  )  and I haven't looked back since.  I collect all generations now and have prolly around 2000+  (I conveniently lost count sometime after 1000 and that was in early 2010 I think :whistle: . I have bought a lot since then  :bateyes:  :frolic:

Its more fun to find ponies from my childhood that I never had and to meet other collectors here/buy from other collectors  than to buy from a store IMO. Hunting ponies on ebay is pretty fun too   :happy:  .
 Pre -internet I never knew how many MLP collectors of all ages and genders there are all over the world - it was sooo awesome when I first found that out! and when I found the Arena  (I lurked a bit before finally joining early 2009) :grouphug:  I've met some truly amazing people here and even if I take a small break from buying ponies, I still love them and  I'll always keep coming back to ponies even though I have other collections as well :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 05:04:39 AM »
Ponies for life, yo.  :cool:
Applejack or Blossom were my first G1's back in ye old 80's, and it never really stopped from there.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 05:18:01 AM »
I had G1 ponies as a kid and loved them, but just kinda grew out of them for awhile. Then I got into the FIM app game a few years ago and kind of casually started watching FIM and getting the odd blind bag here and there.

Then a few months ago, I got on eBay on a whim and started looking at random 80s toys, and got nostalgic for my old ponies, so I got my childhood ponies out and started cleaning them up and also bought a few new ones on eBay. I found the MLP Preservation Project website, which led me here! And I've been wayyyyyyyy into it ever since  :blush:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 07:46:13 AM »
I grew up playing with and watching MLP in the 80s. My mom got rid of my entire collection because she thought I was too old. Then when G3 toys first came out, I had to have some and I started buying G1s again too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:07:46 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal