collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 618
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Hasbro is going after a pony plushie maker on DA  (Read 34453 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro is going after a pony plushie maker on DA
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2012, 06:30:10 AM »
I'm wondering ... was she making them, posting them, and selling them as posted?  Or was she taking commissions where people would ask her to make a RD plush for example?  In all honesty, if friends or family wanted me to make a plush of a certain loved character, and I made it and sold it to them (as per arrangements), I hardly see that as infringement.  Now, if I made them in advance (and in bulk) and posted them online as items for sale with certain numbers left and a waiting time for more, I can definetly see that as being a business that Hasbro should have every right to shut down.  Thoughts?

I don't see the difference... whether she is making them 'to order' or making them 'in advance' does not have any baring on the fact that she is taking copyrighted characters without permission and making a business by selling them for thousands of dollars. Just because a friend or family member asked you to make something doesn't mean it's okay to steal property you have no right to.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2012, 06:38:26 AM »
I'm wondering ... was she making them, posting them, and selling them as posted?  Or was she taking commissions where people would ask her to make a RD plush for example?  In all honesty, if friends or family wanted me to make a plush of a certain loved character, and I made it and sold it to them (as per arrangements), I hardly see that as infringement.  Now, if I made them in advance (and in bulk) and posted them online as items for sale with certain numbers left and a waiting time for more, I can definetly see that as being a business that Hasbro should have every right to shut down.  Thoughts?

I don't see the difference... whether she is making them 'to order' or making them 'in advance' does not have any baring on the fact that she is taking copyrighted characters without permission and making a business by selling them for thousands of dollars. Just because a friend or family member asked you to make something doesn't mean it's okay to steal property you have no right to.
This.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2012, 06:51:33 AM »

This.

That, and most of those 'to order' commissions don't go for thousands, but rather more like $50 dollars. Not much difference in the infringment category, but less obvious at least. DX
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2012, 08:02:20 AM »

That's right. If a friend or family member or total stranger commissioned me to draw Simba or Rainbow Dash for them, I'd refuse to no matter how much money it was for. That said, I just saw her plushies and they truly are amazing. I'd love to be able to get her to make me a Cavy plush sometime.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Brandi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »
Although I do think her work is fabulous, I would have to agree with Hasbro that it is copyright infringment to make a huge profit off of making their characters into plushies. I kinda knew that it was only a matter of time before Hasbro stepped in on this..

Moondust ,Cremello Quarter Horse = Equine love of my life

Stuntmang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »

Who is losing money by her making these plushies?

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
You have said that multiple times in this thread, Stuntmang. And multiple people have answered you: it's not just about the money. The characters are designs that were thought up and copyrighted. They do not in any way belong to this artist. Being a fan of something does not give you the right to do whatever you want with that property. Property is not owned by the masses, in our society. It is owned by the people who have paid and placed a copyright on it through official channels.

And it has also been said in this thread already that if Hasbro does not defend their property by going after people who use it without permission, it weakens their claim on the copyright. That is just how our society works at this time.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »
it seems hasbro is ok with it as long as the people doing it do not claim to own my little pony and give hasbro credit. hasbro lets it happen as a form of free advertising like the videos on youtube.
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »
it seems hasbro is ok with it as long as the people doing it do not claim to own my little pony and give hasbro credit. hasbro lets it happen as a form of free advertising like the videos on youtube.
Not exactly. Numerous episdoes got taken down from YouTube by a copyright claim from Hasbro themselves. Even the commentary videos are getting hit.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
Not exactly. Numerous episdoes got taken down from YouTube by a copyright claim from Hasbro themselves. Even the commentary videos are getting hit.
but they are not taking all of them down. the ones that say"for entertainment purposes only,i do not own my little pony hasbro does" those stay up.
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »
I went and saw her plushies and WOW :drunk: ! Her quality is something like you see at a Walt Disney Store or a Disney store in the mall..Simply astounding. Don't get me wrong I feel bad for her but, no wonder Hasbro went after her. That and add the fact of the money she was making. This has probably been asked before but due to recent events I wonder if customs ponies will ever be taken under consideration to watch by Hasbro (even though they seem not to have a problem with them at the moment). Personally I hope not, but what if you have someone that orders a custom pony painted in their favorite football teams color and logo or fav. cartoon character ect. ?  How can you protect yourself or can you, or are you better off just not doing it?
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »
I went and saw her plushies and WOW :drunk: ! Her quality is something like you see at a Walt Disney Store or a Disney store in the mall..Simply astounding. Don't get me wrong I feel bad for her but, no wonder Hasbro went after her. That and add the fact of the money she was making. This has probably been asked before but due to recent events I wonder if customs ponies will ever be taken under consideration to watch by Hasbro (even though they seem not to have a problem with them at the moment). Personally I hope not, but what if you have someone that orders a custom pony painted in their favorite football teams color and logo or fav. cartoon character ect. ?  How can you protect yourself or can you, or are you better off just not doing it?

I don't think that is likely to happen.  What you are talking about is someone making up their own character and just using the toy which they have fairly bought as a base.  As has been pointed out,  Hasbro even encourages this seeing as they sell blank ponies.  For goodness sakes,  they are running a "design a pony" contest.  The difference is the use of the characters:  Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, etc.  Those belong to Hasbro.

edited to add:
Ah, wait I see what you mean.  Would other companies go after you if you, say, used their mascot as inspiration for a custom and even gave it the same name?  I think it is unlikely but it depends on how high profile you are, whether it would ever come to their attention, and whether you were making loads of profit from it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:44:37 AM by Sunset »

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
Personally I think that would be risky business also.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »
but they are not taking all of them down. the ones that say"for entertainment purposes only,i do not own my little pony hasbro does" those stay up.
They just haven't been caught yet. YouTube can't catch every video the minute they go up.

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 25, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
Hasbro is jealous that they can't make a plushie as cool as her - LOL.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal