collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: why is celestia white in the show but pink in the toys?  (Read 9024 times)

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: why is celestia white in the show but pink in the toys?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
I was going to suggest that maybe they had intended for Celestia to be pink originally and then changed her to white at the last minute, and Hasbro toy producers didn't get the memo until it was too late, but I've found nothing to back up my guess. Even Lauren Faust said they probably made her pink to make her more appealing to retailers (http://comments.deviantart.com/4/1603670/1787420443).

Like other have said, they are releasing a white talking Celestia doll in the fall. Idk if future Celestia toy releases will be white as well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:57:05 PM by Owlsy »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »
I was going to suggest that maybe they had intended for Celestia to be pink originally and then changed her to white at the last minute, and Hasbro toy producers didn't get the memo until it was too late, but I've found nothing to back up my guess.

Actually, it went the opposite way.   The prototype Celestia toy at Hasbro Toy Fair (the one where the G4s were first unveiled) was white;  when she was released "for real", she had been changed to pink.

But her toy WAS white originally.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

RedheadedBeauty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
Looking at Disney art right now, each princess has her own color scheme... the only really pink one is Aurora from Sleeping Beauty.
And that might only be to set her apart from Cinderella, since in the movie, Merriweather turned Aurora's dress blue half the time.   :biggrin:

I always liked Aurora's dress more in blue. She looked prettier and more regal.

I'm all for a white Celestia! I can't wait for her to appear for real in white. I'm not a fan of her in pink. Doesn't Hasbro give us enough pink stuff through Pinkie Pie?

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
Looking at Disney art right now, each princess has her own color scheme... the only really pink one is Aurora from Sleeping Beauty.

The Princesses themselves might not be pink but their packaging sure is.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 10:17:25 PM »
to me I always thought it was like this. Celestia is pink in the show. like the lightest most totally white pink ever but still pink. So when the orders for toys came around they said "ok so the celestia doll should be a very light pink." and the toymakers just heard "pink" and ran with it. that's almost my reasoning behind all the other none-accurate colors.

yeah I have no idea how business works.

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 06:14:42 AM »
to me I always thought it was like this. Celestia is pink in the show. like the lightest most totally white pink ever but still pink. So when the orders for toys came around they said "ok so the celestia doll should be a very light pink." and the toymakers just heard "pink" and ran with it. that's almost my reasoning behind all the other none-accurate colors.

yeah I have no idea how business works.

QFT

Celestia *is* pink. I recently bought a massive 3D TV, very high quality, and watching the HD versions of the cartoons, she's quite obviously pink. Yes, it's very very pale, and might even be from my TV over-compensating for the colour in her outlines, but she looks pretty pink to me on my TV. I mentioned this to PKW recently and she pointed out the fact that everypony's outline is a darker colour of their body tone. Celestia has a pink outline for every "white" part she has. Leads me to believe that she's pale pink. But again, might just be my TV over-compenasting.

OK the toys are dark pink, but ima pass on that and say that the factories have just been lazy.

Jus' my 2 cents.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 07:01:24 AM »
yes if you take the RGB colors of her right from the show you'll see that she is slightly pink.  XD ... oh Hastroll :P

edit... For Science!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:59:41 AM by gabumon »

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 07:15:32 AM »
I would have preferred her being a very very pale pink rather the that god awful pepto-bismol shade she is now. Stark white doesn't look quite right either.

And yeah, not all little girls like pink. Blue was always my favorite color, the only time I ever liked pink as a kid was because I thought I was supposed to, then I realized that was stupid.

Bronley

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 08:57:52 AM »
Good call on her actually being light pink on the show.

I just pretend she has a deep tan on the toy, vs. being stuck on official court business and not getting a tan on the show.  :biggrin:

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 09:22:59 AM »
The reason why she is not pure white on the show is because pure white is one of those things you should avoid in art/animation. It's like Rarity who has a hint of grey to her in her artwork but her toys are still pretty much white.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »
Haha pink-tinted Celestia!

This reminds me of the arguments I used to have with my friends as a kid about Mew being either really pale pink or white. >.>;;
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
Lol...I like this argument...that because of animation requirements she is in fact pink...just a very very very pale pink!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
I always chuckle when some people consider it trolling when someone points out that there's pink on the cartoon's Celestia.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
wow the animation aspect is a neat take on it.  because if they are going to have a special effect glow or a "ray of light" or something in the scene,... they'll need it "whiter" than any of the characters.  that makes sense to me! :)

SheRa-dude

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
A question that has plagued many, myself included.... And one to which only Hasbro has the real answer. I've given up on trying to understand their decision to go with the pink version. I'm leaning towards the simplistic-and-out-of-touch-with-the-real-world idea: "girls like pink, so let's make her pink."

The toy line was strongly disconnected from the TV show (till Brony fandom appeared), so maybe they had their toy heart set on a pink princess all along. Dunno.

Edit:
Despite fact that Celestia appears to be truly white, she is indeed an extremely light shade of pink. I never wanted to accept it, but wanting to put this to bed for good, for myself, I took a screenshot of Celestia, selected the color right in the middle of her neck, of what is - to the eye - clearly white. Here's the result:

It's a visual illusion that Celestia is pure white. She is, indeed, the lightest possible shade of pink. Her toy version, however, leaves no room for debate on body color. If the toy would have had the same mesmerizingly light shade of pink, this discussion would never have existed, I think  ^.^
No one would have noticed the difference :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:20:58 PM by SeabreezeBigBro »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal