collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To the doll collecters- instead of Equestria Girls  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: To the doll collecters- instead of Equestria Girls
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2013, 05:27:15 AM »
I know Hasbro isn't Rainbow Brite, but it made me weary of remakes. I don't understand why they took away the Color Kids. I wish I had my Rainbow Brite collection at my house to apologise to them on Hallmark's behalf.

There were plans to add the Color Kids later (now called the Color Wave Kids) but thanks to a lack of marketing, they failed before they had a chance.
What was wrong with "Color Kids"?! I miss the 80s/90s. (Since I'm a late 80s baby, but my sister educated me well.)

The only thing I can think of is maybe there were trademark issues. Lalaloopsy was originally "Bitty Buttons" but they had to change it because there was a company that made kids clothes that was using the name. It's not that out there to think that there might be something else that is using the name "Color Kids".

I actually liked the dolls but like I said they didn't promote them well and the web series had really bad animation
I would like to take this moment to point out that they were the Color Kids in the 80s, right? (Correct me if I have the wrong name for them then.) Wouldn't that mean Hallmark/whoever else did Rainbow Brite have the "Color Kids" trademarked?

I wasn't a fan of the 25th anniversary dolls. The horses were super pretty, but I love the Rainbow Brite of my day better. Haha.
Since MLP is coming up on 30 years, doesn't that mean Rainbow Brite/Jem and all them are too??
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2013, 07:23:56 AM »
Rainbow Brite's would be this year, correct?  1983-2013?  And I believe Jem's 30th will be in 2015.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2013, 09:09:51 AM »
I know Hasbro isn't Rainbow Brite, but it made me weary of remakes. I don't understand why they took away the Color Kids. I wish I had my Rainbow Brite collection at my house to apologise to them on Hallmark's behalf.

There were plans to add the Color Kids later (now called the Color Wave Kids) but thanks to a lack of marketing, they failed before they had a chance.
What was wrong with "Color Kids"?! I miss the 80s/90s. (Since I'm a late 80s baby, but my sister educated me well.)

The only thing I can think of is maybe there were trademark issues. Lalaloopsy was originally "Bitty Buttons" but they had to change it because there was a company that made kids clothes that was using the name. It's not that out there to think that there might be something else that is using the name "Color Kids".

I actually liked the dolls but like I said they didn't promote them well and the web series had really bad animation
I would like to take this moment to point out that they were the Color Kids in the 80s, right? (Correct me if I have the wrong name for them then.) Wouldn't that mean Hallmark/whoever else did Rainbow Brite have the "Color Kids" trademarked?

But they might have let it lapse. Unlike Copyrights, if a company doesn't renew a Trademark, they can lose it. That's what happened with a lot of G1 pony names since nobody back then even considered any kind of revival.

I actually know way too much about 80s toys for a 90s kid thanks to the internet and my absolute fascination with cute girly things. (I would say I was born in the wrong decade but lots of 90s things were awesome too so I can't hate it)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:17:52 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
Off topic, but I really with they had done more for the 30th than 'Equestria Girls', oh well...

Anyway, I thought rainbow bright was cool, too. Murky and lurky were funny, and I thought the guy on the flying robot horse was cool too.

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2013, 06:16:18 PM »
Off topic, but I really with they had done more for the 30th than 'Equestria Girls', oh well...

Anyway, I thought rainbow bright was cool, too. Murky and lurky were funny, and I thought the guy on the flying robot horse was cool too.
I agree. EG, I thought was cute. Not gonna lie. My 9 year old son watched it with me when it was on Sunday. But 30 is a huge milestone, at 50... it better be FREAKIN SPECTACULAR.

And you have a point there, Wardah. "Color Wave Kids" HA. I'm .... just gonna hang my head in disappointment there.

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »
I'd love to see a well done revamp of both Jem & the Moondreamers! The Integrity Toys Jem doll is nice, but too spendy for me as I don't really collect high end fashion dolls. I was excited when I heard the Sea Wees were getting a revamp but when I saw them in stores, ugh! Awful! So I guess it's a bit of a crap shoot with these vintage toy line revamps. They have to update them enough to sell to today's kids, but if they stray too far from the original design the children of the 80s start storming the castle with pitchforks & torches. It's a fine line :D
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »
I'm honestly very surprised Jem hasn't been rebooted yet, and I hope it does get a reboot someday! This line remains extremely popular with a cult fanbase even today, and unlike MLP it hasn't gotten a reboot every decade or so. Yet people still stay devoted! Do you know there are entire conventions SOLELY devoted to the cartoon Jem? I couldn't believe it when I found this out! I've never seen a convention devoted to just one cartoon, as opposed to a genre or a community of different types of fans (except Bronycon I guess, but Jemcon has been around a lot longer than MLP FiM).

This November, Jemcon is coming to Maine for the first time, and I'm totally going to go! I wasn't a huge fan of the show as a kid (I only played with ponies and Care Bears, no icky humans in MY playroom lol). But now as an adult I watch the old episodes and I love it because it's soooo 80's lol. Reminds me of younger days. :)

That's so cool you can make it to Jemcon this year!  I was on staff last year and also this year as well.  I unfortunately can't make it but I'm working on finishing some projects with the con chair for the charity auction.  You'll have a lot of fun!  I try to go to as many of them as possible but they move around so it isn't always possible.  Great group of people there, it's like a family.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I collect the vintage dolls and so have a two of the newer Intregity dolls.  They are nice, just very pricey.  I'd love it if they remade Jem as a cartoon and a doll.  And if I didn't care for it when they made it that's okay because I can continue loving my vintage Jem. :)

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline vortex1310

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »
I think the *idea* of revamps are great, but in practice seem to fail miserably.  >_<

I was excited to see Rainbow Brite back in stores but the quality was exceedingly low. The outfits were simple and cheap. And I totally get it, they don't want to invest a bunch of money for a flash-in-the-pan product but it feels like when the released the collector ponies in G1 style. I really think if the quality had been better it would have justified more waves.

As for Jem, I think it would be fabulous if done right! I get a Jem vibe from the La Dee Da dolls. They have bright outfits, bright colored hair, and beautiful face markings, but for me personally, I don't like the head being so disproportionate and kinda flat.
Those expensive, fancy Jem dolls are lovely! But a playline price point would be appreciated.  :lookround:

Moondreamers is a really interesting idea. I don't think they could successfully revive them but the idea and themes would be cute. And GITD hair?! Yes please!  :lol:

This is prolly OT since they are not fashion dolls, but I'd love to see Glo-Worms again. I loves those things to pieces. They have changed their look a few times, but I think the little GITD vinyl figures should come back, lol.  ^.^

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2013, 12:13:09 PM »
Not a huge fan of dolls or EQG myself, but aside from that a good option for hasbro to cash in would use a concept like the Moondreamers or Rainbow brite, Lady lovely locks would be slightly harder to adapt into a tv show maybe. I feel like if they were modernized, obviously design would be different. Rainbow brite may not have as many sharp colors as they currently have, Moondreamers already seem to have companions so they could easily mimic that part if trying to compete with monsters high and I don't know about lady lovely locks. I watched the cartoon as a kid, and I think she would be quite different and maybe not even LLL anymore. I don't know anything about Jem, but she could definitely compete with Barbie, - being more edgy and colorful.
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
I always liked moondreamers.   I know Equestria Girls are a big hit with my niece and her friends.  So moondreamers would have to find a way to capitalize on that like they did with "My Little Pony and Friends".   But I don't know how I'd feel if FIM was cut in half for that.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline SilverHealer

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I love lamp!
    • View Profile
    • Goddess Within
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
I would love to see a revamp of the Moondreamers! I'm not totally sure about making them Monster High-like, though.  They were so little and cute in the 80s!  Jem would make a really fun revamp, though!

[ adoptables from pixel forum GLAM! | Av by SDS ]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal