collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunfading: new method!  (Read 888 times)

Pickenprod

• Trade Count: (0)
Sunfading: new method!
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »
Hi everyone, and especially to restorers! Today I would like to "go public" with my new invention, so that others can benefit also!

I present to you... the Pony Tanning Salon! (and pardon the drawing...)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is basically a box with a lamp placed over its contents, in this case ponies. The inside is lined with tinfoil to increase the amount of reflected light, and the lamp used is a UVB-emitting reptile bulb (as some reptiles need UV light to metabolize calcium, you can buy UV bulbs for them). The UVB emitted by the bulb is the same thing that causes ponies to fade when they are left in the sun.

Using this method, you can sunfade on cloudy days and at night. I predict this method will allow restorers to sunfade in weeks instead of months! Currently I am testing the setup with a Raincurl I bought from somebody on another pony site. She was perfect, except that all four feet were covered in permanent, purple marker! Using the "tanning salon" for approximately 6 weeks, these marks have faded away by about 50%.

Project cost: $10 for the reptile bulb, and had the other supplies lying around already. If you don't have an aquarium hood, you can use any old light fixture as long as you cover it with something to contain the UV rays within the box.

DISCLAIMERS!!
1. I am not responsible if you manage to start a fire with this setup! Make sure all electrical outlets are safe, and cords are not damaged. Leave spaces to allow heat to escape, etc.
2. Don't just toss the ponies in there! Use all the usual precautions involved in sunfading, like deheading, covering up symbols, protecting hair, etc!!
3. Don't look directly at the light! This is a UV-emitting bulb, which can cause sunburn and eye damage if you're exposed to it too long! To be as safe as possible, I recommend covering the whole setup with tinfoil so too much light doesn't escape.

Disclaimers over now  :biggrin:

So, any thoughts? I'd love to hear your comments!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:14:11 PM by Pickenprod »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Sunfading: new method!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
I think someone tried this experiment once and found that it took much longer than actually using the sun itself.  But I welcome other people's comments as I know that one person's experience can be very subjective when dealing with sunfading.  It all depends on the climate and sunfading locations, and since we all live around the world, it would be good to have lots of opinions!  :D

I know I have tried the UV lights that are specifically designed for providing indoor plants with proper spectrum rays but it did not sunfade my ponies, even after four months.  :(  They are similar to reptile UV lightbulbs, too.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Katgyrl

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Just a pony and her sewing machine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
sounds really cool, I'd love to hear if it continues to work for you! I live in Seattle so it would be nice to have an alternative since we don't get much sun here! XD

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
I've tried UV lights, and it didn't work either.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
that is cool thank you for sharing, i want to make up something like this now but alas for the bulbs there is nothing under $30 here :(

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
Thats interesting :awake: Its always good to hear about other peoples restoration experiments and the results they get :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Pickenprod

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »
Huh, so it didn't work for some folks.  :what:  Are you sure your bulbs were actually UV lamps? The ones made for plants aren't usually UV, since plants use light in the visible spectrum to make their sugars. That's what "full spectrum" indicates. I'd recommend checking the back of the box for a light spectrum chart and making sure there are actually UV (ultraviolet) wavelengths there.  :nerdy:

On the plus side, my setup really does work. I don't have a "before" picture of Raincurl, myself. But I bet I could dig one up from her previous owner and do a comparison. I'm actually really impressed at how fast such a dark stain is fading away!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »
And the box doesn't get hot or become a fire hazard? When my sister had Uromastyx the light was so hot to the touch you'd have to use oven mitts to shut it off. I thought about trying a UV bulb for sunfading but I didn't know which cheap ones to use. The ones I looked at were like $40. I hope you get good results because I'd love better sunfading in winter.

Pickenprod

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:38:12 AM »
I've had my lightbox on continuously for over a month, and no issues with heat buildup yet. This sort of bulb (CFL) produces very little heat, but some reptile bulbs (like the ones used for basking spots) do get very hot. Those kinds don't usually produce any UV anyway, they are just for heating.

I think I'll upload a photo of the box tomorrow :D

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:33:36 AM »
that is cool thank you for sharing, i want to make up something like this now but alas for the bulbs there is nothing under $30 here :(

That's interesting to know, I've never checked out the lighting shops here but have been meaning to.  But no way am I paying $30 - I could get a rather nice pony for that much!  I'll just be patient and stick with the sun!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 01:39:55 AM »
In all honesty I think that's a great method, especially in the UK lets face it, it can take up to a year to surface anything here simply because it's always raining :P
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 02:14:51 AM »
In all honesty I think that's a great method, especially in the UK lets face it, it can take up to a year to surface anything here simply because it's always raining :P

Agreed! My ponies are getting bored of the view out of the window and they are still not the right colour several months down the line!

I keep meaning to try the UV lamp method, I'm not sure I'd have a tank like that (or space for one), any ideas how I could do it otherwise for a smaller set up?

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 02:17:38 AM »
A year if you're lucky - I've had a G2 and a couple of G3s in the window for 18months now <_<

Yep it was deffo a reptile UV full spectrum bulb I was using, the same one I use for reps. I was so hoping it would work :( Maybe it depends on what you are trying to sunfade? Some types of pen seem to sunfade so much quicker than others.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »
You lot "south of the border" have nothing to comment on about sun :P

Thats a cute idea...I would love to see before and after pictures and time lines for how long the fading takes! I love your explanation and the diagram.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

GoodyGumdrop

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
Oh wow! I wouldn't of thought of this.

I still have my old corn snake's terrarium with hooded, full spectrum UV light in my garage. I might try this if I ever get any marked up ponies (right now I don't have any in my current collection).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal