collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mysterious pony malady (pic heavy)  (Read 1483 times)

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
Re: Mysterious pony malady (pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 05:39:44 AM »

I'm unfamiliar with this, so another question, just to get it accurate in my mind: the marks aren't mold per se but are permanent brown marks, like under the Wikipedia article "water spot," right? (although you guys mentioned some methods that I might have to try, like sunfading for those who can be sunfaded and oxyclean)

It's just my thought they could be hard water stains after dealing with hard water in my house for over 10 years. There are cleaning chemicals that are supposed to help with hard water meant for toilets you can always try. I actually have to use toilet bowl cleaner to clean hard water stains in my tub. That's why I suggested Oxyclean because I don't know whether the toilet bowl cleaner would compromise the plastic on ponies and I have heard several stories of people on here and the MLPTP using Oxyclean to clean off various things from mold to tobacco stains to cat pee.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 07:45:43 AM »

Thank you all so much for your replies! I actually didn't notice most of the brown marks until I gave the ponies a good cleaning, too long after the return window because I started a new job. :argh: When I opened the box initially I was more distracted by the fact that their poses were all warped. (As I said, this lot has given me lots of headaches. There were about 30 in the lot; not all of them have brown marks or warping, but many do.) I should have initially complained about the shipping method, though -- wet in baggies . . . At the time I was trying to avoid a stir because I thought the ponies were mostly okay and because I bought the lot at a relatively cheap price. Lesson learned the hard way . . . argh.

So I guess these are hard water stains :/. It sounds likely to me that the ponies were stored somewhere for a long time and got damaged by water; their warped poses seem to indicate that they were piled on top of each other or under something for too long, and if it was a wet place they'd probably get these marks.

I'm unfamiliar with this, so another question, just to get it accurate in my mind: the marks aren't mold per se but are permanent brown marks, like under the Wikipedia article "water spot," right? (although you guys mentioned some methods that I might have to try, like sunfading for those who can be sunfaded and oxyclean)

Yeah I would say that is the most likely culprit.  I had some ponies in a box in my garage that I forgot about (who does that?!  silly me!) and when they came back out, yeah they looked like that.  It took a lot of sunfading! 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »
Yeah I would say that is the most likely culprit.  I had some ponies in a box in my garage that I forgot about (who does that?!  silly me!) and when they came back out, yeah they looked like that.  It took a lot of sunfading! 
It's just my thought they could be hard water stains after dealing with hard water in my house for over 10 years. There are cleaning chemicals that are supposed to help with hard water meant for toilets you can always try. I actually have to use toilet bowl cleaner to clean hard water stains in my tub. That's why I suggested Oxyclean because I don't know whether the toilet bowl cleaner would compromise the plastic on ponies and I have heard several stories of people on here and the MLPTP using Oxyclean to clean off various things from mold to tobacco stains to cat pee.
Thank you guys! I have some Oxyclean so I'll have to try that and/or sunfading and hopefully improve these guys as much as possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal