collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Horse lovers- any gypsy vanner, cob lovers out there?  (Read 1392 times)

Templeflower

• Trade Count: (0)
Horse lovers- any gypsy vanner, cob lovers out there?
« on: June 09, 2012, 10:06:37 AM »
Hi all,

So I've been getting back into horses after a 4 year respite while I raised my daughter. I've been having such a blast the last half year, and soon I'm going to be looking to purchase my own horse.

I know we have other horse owners on the forum. Does anyone here adore gypsy vanners (also known as Irish tinkers, in Europe I believe)? I had the great fortune to learn how to ride on a gypsy/mustang cross, and have met some other vanners that I just adore. So I wanted to share the love! Chime in!

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Horse lovers- any gypsy vanner, cob lovers out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
I loooove Vanners! My riding instructor raises, breeds and shows Vanners, and has some national champions I believe. She's hosting a National Gypsy Vanner show this year in october as well, that I am going to be able to go to! :D
Annnddd... I might be getting my own vanner as well! While I was out at the barn yesterday, I was admiring a gorgeous dun gypsy mare that had been brought in to be bred to one of my instructor's studs, she told me that the mare had a two-year old dun pinto colt that was for sale for SUPER cheap because he "didn't have enough hair on his legs". They had him gelded because he wasn't hairy enough to be a stud, and the owner wants to sell him for way cheaper than they would normally. So... Fingers crossed I can find a job so I can buy him! :P

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »
I think they are very pretty horses :) I dont have any experiance with them, or horses in general though
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Templeflower

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »
TwistedWindSox- which stable is she? I think I have probably memorized every gypsy breeding operation in the US! lol.

Congrats on the gelding opportunity. That's super exciting! It's probably the way I will be going as well- a 2-3 year old gelding. It seems like they are the most affordable option. I'm certainly not interested in handling a stud (Though- if I had a breeding operation, I know EXACTLY which stallion I would buy. I loves loves loves him!) And I tend to bond better with the boys, vs mares.

I completely blame big brother ponies for my love stocky, fuzzy footed horses.

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »
TwistedWindSox- which stable is she? I think I have probably memorized every gypsy breeding operation in the US! lol.

Congrats on the gelding opportunity. That's super exciting! It's probably the way I will be going as well- a 2-3 year old gelding. It seems like they are the most affordable option. I'm certainly not interested in handling a stud (Though- if I had a breeding operation, I know EXACTLY which stallion I would buy. I loves loves loves him!) And I tend to bond better with the boys, vs mares.

I completely blame big brother ponies for my love stocky, fuzzy footed horses.

I think it's called First Class Farms, but I don't know if that's her... Official name? Or whatever. XD
And, thank you! I'm super excited about him. After working around the studs at her farm, they don't seem as bad as "regular" studs do (I worked around race-horse, quarter horse and tame mustang studs in the past) and Gypsies seem way calmer and better behaved to me... It must just be the breed. :P And, I am the same way with mares vs geldings. I have yet to meet a mare I really *love*, even the mare I have now. I just can't seem to click with them.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 11:21:35 AM »
My great uncle had Vanners.  They were gooorgeous!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Templeflower

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 12:26:52 PM »
I've certainly heard that, Gypsy boys tend to be a lot calmer and more mellow then most intact males. I will be boarding though, and I don't think my trainer would appreciate me having a stud at her facility! lol more trouble then he'd be worth! The intact boys I've met out at the expos have all been very calm- especially around all the hubub, children, crowds etc.

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »
Gypsy Vanner *drool*  I intend to have one of my own one day...as well as a Belgian and perhaps another draft...and I can't do without a smaller horse to ride too, right?  xD

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 01:25:28 PM »
Mmmm, they are such gorgeous horses! I could look at them all day.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Templeflower

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
Me too! I was lucky enough to help out a friend at the MN horse expo this year. We were going home after setup on Thursday evening, when I saw a gal walking her horse right behind me. Of course I ran out of my (still running, tho parked, with my child in her car seat) car to ask her if it was a gypsy! lol it was, and she was nice enough to stop, let me stop the car, get little one out, and we drooled over her horse for 15 minutes. He was a beauty, and she was such a great gal to put up with my spur of the moment adoration!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »
I have no horses but I LOVE Gypsy Vanners!!!! Someday.........

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

sosoftbuttons

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 08:26:31 AM »
gypsy vanners are adorable :D  maaanny an hour i spent riding one of them back in my childhood.

i've since progressed to faster things like thoroughbreds (cos i adore polo) and arab's (cos they look amazing)

best of luck finding yourself a gorgeous vanner, and i'm sure we'd all love to see pics once you buy him/her :bigups:

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
'Irish Tinkers' would actually be considered quite a racial slur ._.; But coloured cobs are really fantastic horses. I was lucky enough to learn to ride on a cob mare named Tilly, and she was just so placid, calm and gentle.
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
I prefer the British Native breeds, but wouldn't say no to a traditional coloured (which is the most widely used term for a Gypsy Vanner in the UK).

Templeflower

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:52:21 PM »
No disrespect intended at ALL fiwen3. Here in the USA there are no connotations associated with that term at all and I apologize if you found the term offensive. I do know some other countries do use that term for this breed (And you can see it referred as such on some international toy sites which make model horses).

I have the deepest respect for the romany people, and I obviously love their horses. I hope I have not offended.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal