collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When photographing ponies....  (Read 381 times)

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
When photographing ponies....
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:15:08 PM »
Do you like white/light colored backgrounds or dark/black? Busy or plain? What do you think looks better?

Is lighting more important than background in getting good results? Natural or artificial?

Indoor or outdoor?

Discuss! ;)

I'm not so sure with any of the above as I've had mixed results with all of them.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Marinakirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
  • Life has no lines~
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt
Re: When photographing ponies....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »
I'd prefer to take pictures with a simple background, not too flashy because I want to keep the main focus on the pony. (like for eBay listings)
I like natural light, it always works for me. But I still end up editing the photos anyway.  :biggrin:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »
I like a simple background - white or off white works for me :) Other than that whatever takes my fancy I guess!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BlueyBirdy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Bird horse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »
I use a black background for most shots. Why? Cuts down a heck of a lot on editing time. It's much easier to make a black background look good! Getting a white background to look properly white without full control over the lighting is tricky - for example, artificial light from a regular household bulb is yellow. Black backgrounds also cut down on any shadows and/or creases that your backdrop may create.
Quick example of a black background:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Not a fantastic photograph but it proves my point. This was taken in a photo tent against a black sheet using natural light.

Lighting-wise I just use natural light. There's a free light source in the sky, why not use it? If I had any lamps though I'd use bright artificial light as it's easier to get the lighting you want and cut out unsightly shadows.

If you're not looking to be super fancy about the photos you take then the basics are:

- Have a tidy background (no random stuff in the background, no busy colours, no pets or family members entering the frame, etc.)
- Try to have your light source behind you
- Get as close to your subject as you can

For photos of stuff you're trying to sell you really should put some effort in.  On eBay I see a lot of items being listed with terrible photographs and all that says to me is "I don't care about what I'm selling, so why should you?" Even mobile phones these days will take a decent shot if you take your time and work with your equipment.
Formerly known as BluePhoenix

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal