collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The MH Q&A/help thread  (Read 10853 times)

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The MH Q&A/help thread
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
Hmm... I think she wants mint green hair!

I was thinking this too!

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
Question: I am thinking about getting into the CAMs and rooting their hair, but I've never done anything like this before. I found a DIY tutorial, but I have some questions....

I know there are several different types of hair (nylon? saran? kanekalon?), but what type was Spectra's hair? I am just so in love with her hair, and if I did root a CAM, I would want that same kind of softness.

I am assuming I can get hair from dollyhair.com? (and a tool I guess) how many hanks of hair would it take?

I have no idea what I am doing, can you tell :)

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »
Spectra has kanekalon, although most MH dolls have saran. I've never attempted to re-root (although I've thought about it), so I can't make a recommendation on how many hanks it takes. Perhaps Ravie or another re-root expert will pop in and enlighten?

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »
Spectra has kanekalon, although most MH dolls have saran. I've never attempted to re-root (although I've thought about it), so I can't make a recommendation on how many hanks it takes. Perhaps Ravie or another re-root expert will pop in and enlighten?

Thank you so much! I thought I had read that somewhere, but I wanted to be sure. :)

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
I also have some re-root questions:)  I would like my re-roots to look and FEEL like all the other girls, and I know most have saran hair, but the color selection over at Dollyhair is lacking in my opinion.  I love their nylon color selection.  If I bought nylon, would I be disapointed with the texture?  Can anyone suggest another place to buy saran hair with more color choices?
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline CasseminaPie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
Question: I am thinking about getting into the CAMs and rooting their hair, but I've never done anything like this before. I found a DIY tutorial, but I have some questions....

I know there are several different types of hair (nylon? saran? kanekalon?), but what type was Spectra's hair? I am just so in love with her hair, and if I did root a CAM, I would want that same kind of softness.

I am assuming I can get hair from dollyhair.com? (and a tool I guess) how many hanks of hair would it take?

I have no idea what I am doing, can you tell :)

I just did my first reroot (cam vamp) and I used 3 hanks of Barbie hair (Saran) + an RD hank from dollyhair. I pretty much used it all but I did waste quite a bit!

The Saran hair is a bit...oily feeling but I haven't given it a wash yet.

I also just placed an order with retrodolluk (there is a us version now) for some saran color mixes and they recommend 3 hanks.

Hope that helps :) feel free to PM me if you have more questions but I am still a total noob at rerooting!
Come visit my blog!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 07:03:27 PM »
Also, what do you use to paint on MH bodies and faces?  I am going to do two faceups/complete redos, and I have heard pencils, paints, a whole assortment of things, so I may attempt to do something along those lines. 

I recently redid the faceup on my CAM dragon using some acrylics for her eyes, lashes, and lips, and some of my eyeshadows.

monstress_hi

• Trade Count: (0)
Question on the two different looks of Gloom Beach Draculaura?
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 11:45:14 PM »
I'm going after a Gloom Beach Draculaura, but I found there're two different looks of her, one with eyes closer together (sold in the 5-pack series?), and one with eyes wider apart (sold in single pack?)

Can someone please help if Gloom Beach Draculaura sold in different packaging does look a bit different or is it just the angles of the photos? I'm borrowing photos that I can find on flickr from other collectors:

The one with eyes further apart, looking more "natural"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/superqt/5222237371/

The one with eyes closer together
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61306720@N06/6696927669/

I know the difference is subtle, but if you look at the two draculaura in the above two photos closely, they DO look different...

I'm wondering if this is just me or anything that is puzzling me??? :blink:

merging this with the MH question thread :) - Jupi
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:40:58 AM by jupiternwndrlnd »

Rococo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Question on the two different looks of Gloom Beach Draculaura?
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 12:57:34 AM »
They actually do look different, it isn't the angle or your eyes tricking you. She is a vampire of many faces, sometimes even in the same line (e.g., her Skull Shores doll was re-released recently with a different facial screening from the original SS Lala).

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 01:35:01 AM »
Teehee, vampire of many faces, I love that  ^.^ I think the earliest dolls (like her 1.0) have the widely-spaced/narrower eyes, it's only with later ones (like the 2.0 set with Clawd) that they started to switch to the closely-spaced/wider eyes... but only sometimes. (Someone correct me if I'm off...) They can't seem to decide XD

I don't have either GB version myself so I can't compare, but I would guess that you've got it right... The dates on those two photos seem to bear out that 2010 Lala (that's the single-box version) has the widely-spaced/narrower eyes. The 5-pack only came out last summer as a Target exclusive. So if you get a GB Lala in Canada it'll almost certainly be the single-box girl, in the US there is the option ^.^ Hope that helps!
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »
Actually it started with her original release. For a long while she had the awsome wider set narrow eyes that we all know and love, and then at some point, she started coming with the the big eyes that are way too close together.

Gloom Beach was the same. The Maul Draculaura had a few of the first release eyes but I think the majority of her has the other eyes.

2.0 with Clawd never had the better eyes but always the too close together ones.

I think the difference is where she's been manufactured. Facial screens seem to vary by factory. Also, as far as I know, 2.0 was the last release to suffer from this affliction

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
I never knew that. I have a 2.0 Draculaura, and she has the bad eyes... I wonder if that's why she's one of my least favorites. :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
I think the difference is where she's been manufactured. Facial screens seem to vary by factory.

Ah thanks Ravie! That makes sense. So with GB it could be either face, no matter whether she's from the 5-pack or not!  :dizzy:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
Wow, that's confusing about Lala's eyes. oO;
Does anybody know about the signature re-release? I have one on the way to me and would love to know what I have to prepare for. LOLLLL.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 01:41:32 PM »
I saw a fresh case on the shelf at Wal-mart when the re-releases started showing up.  There are 2 Lala's to a case.  One had the original wide set eyes, and the other had the up-to-date eyes.  I'm not sure if this was a fluke, or if Mattel planned it that way.  I think people are torn between which Lala they like better.  I used to like the wide set eyes, but they don't look right to me anymore since they've adopted the newer ones. 

The picture above of the closer set eyes, is very bad.  I haven't seen a Lala that bad in a long time.  I think Mattel decided to place her eyes somewhere between those 2 shots above.  I had a hard time buying Wave 2 Lala because of her eyes.  The promo pics never matched the dolls I saw on the shelf (eye-wise)

I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal