collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need some advice on supporting a custom while baking!  (Read 297 times)

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Need some advice on supporting a custom while baking!
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »
I've got a G1 Bride with a sculpted horn, ears, tail, and mane added to her, all sculpted in Premo over a wire base. The baking time will be approximately 25 minutes, and while I've baked customs before, I'm terrified that her legs may buckle during the baking time. Would supporting her with foil cause the temperature to rise where the foil touches her body?
Mimic on MLPTP

Pinkandpurplepanda

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Need some advice on supporting a custom while baking!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:45:10 AM »
Using tin foil might make things a bit hotter in those areas. I've made some ponies with Premo parts, and you can usually bake them at about half of the regular temperature if you leave them in the oven for a longer amount of time. That might reduce the risk of any problems with the foil.

Offline Tyrsalc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »
When I was making a custom not to long ago that had a lot of sculpey clay work I baked them at 200 and accidentally forgot about her. She was in there roughly 30-45 minutes and I had no problems with her. I would say just check on it every now and again and if it looks like there may be problems arising scoop her out of the oven.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »
The last two ponies I've baked (sculpey III) have been on a wire rack in the oven w/parchment paper for support. So far it's worked OK...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
I know that you can bake a G3 while standing in a shallow pan of water to keep the hoof magnet from popping out, so maybe the water helps the plastic keep from heating up as much?  I have no idea.  Would laying her down be an option?  Again, these are just thoughts; I have no idea if they'd work.

Offline Tyrsalc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
I know that you can bake a G3 while standing in a shallow pan of water to keep the hoof magnet from popping out, so maybe the water helps the plastic keep from heating up as much?  I have no idea.  Would laying her down be an option?  Again, these are just thoughts; I have no idea if they'd work.

I would shy away from laying down. The plastic on the pony will get very soft while heating and can bend out of shape. I had a head fall down once while in the oven.

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:02:56 AM »
Thank you all for your responses! I baked her at half the regular temperature for about an hour and a half, standing up on a metal tray, and the result was perfect.
Mimic on MLPTP

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal