collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Pick One

Castle in the Sky
2 (3.1%)
Grave of the Fireflies
1 (1.6%)
My Neighbor Totoro
3 (4.7%)
Kiki's Delivery Service
5 (7.8%)
Only Yesterday
1 (1.6%)
Porco Rosso
0 (0%)
Pom Poko
2 (3.1%)
Whisper of the Heart
4 (6.3%)
Princess Mononoke
11 (17.2%)
My Neighbors the Yamadas
0 (0%)
Spirited Away
18 (28.1%)
The Cat Returns
4 (6.3%)
Howl's Moving Castle
8 (12.5%)
Tales from Earthsea
0 (0%)
Ponyo
1 (1.6%)
The Secret World of Arrietty
1 (1.6%)
From up on Poppy Hill
0 (0%)
If you've seen it: The Wind Rises
1 (1.6%)
Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
0 (0%)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What is your favorite Studio Ghibli Film?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline frizzycat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Plastic Candy
Re: What is your favorite Studio Ghibli Film?
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
Princess Mononoke was the first Ghibli film I ever watched. My favourite has got to be Spirited Away, though. I just loved that world with all the weird and fantastic creatures.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »
I voted Nausicaa too. I also love Castle in the sky.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nacht

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2014, 02:31:31 PM »
Spirited Away for me. It was the first Ghibli film I had ever seen and to this day remains my favorite.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
Oh, I love this thread! The first Studio Ghibli film I saw was, I think, Spirited Away, when I was about 15. It was so weird (people turning into pigs, crazy paper birds, all sorts of stuff), but it drew me in. My favorite of the films actually changes sometimes, but right now my favorite is Princess Mononoke, with Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle following close behind. I have nearly all the Studio Ghibli movies, many of their soundtracks and several orchestral CDs, a piano book (written in Japanese, hard to read, but the music is there!), and have the pictures on my wall and Studio Ghibli desktops, etc. For my first piano recital song (started in high school) I played the theme from Spirited Away where Chihiro gives Haku his name back, and for another recital song I played Sekai no Yakusoku from Howl's Moving Castle (the ending theme song). I'm a crazy Studio Ghibli otaku, clearly . . . 

The films that Hayao Miyazaki has done, especially, have inspired me greatly in my writing, even though he's a filmmaker and not a writer, per se.

By the way, you might want to watch Children Who Chase Lost Voices. It isn't a Studio Ghibli movie, but it's obviously heavily influenced by them. It's Makoto Shinkai's newest. Some of the scenes are a scary or intense, and its theme is saying goodbye to dead loved ones. I do recommend it, but not if you want something like Spirited Away . . . more if you want a deep movie like Princess Mononoke.

Mononoke Hime is one of my favorite movies of all time. If it wasn't for the lackluster male protagonist I'd say it's flawless (not that I don't like Ashitaka, I just think he's the weakest part of the movie). I think it's an amazing multi-layered piece of art.

And I still cry on it :lol:
It is amazing. I have to disagree with you about Ashitaka, though -- he's actually got a lot of emotion and depth, but like a stoic Japanese character he keeps it all inside. I know you say you do like him, though. :) (I didn't realize how much I liked him until now . . . hrm . . .)

Definitely has to be Whisper of the Heart for me :heart: I adore everything about it. The music is breathtaking (particularly the music that accompanies the rooftop scene - that's actually what made me want to watch the film, long story x'D), the plot is wonderful and.. I love cats. :p I also love the pseudo-sequel, The Cat Returns.

I love most of the Ghibli films I've seen, though! Except Only Yesterday. No offense to any fans of that film, it just left me cold, if that makes sense ^^;;;.

Whisper of the Heart is great! I like Only Yesterday, but mostly just the parts with her childhood. I could see where the parts of her grown-up might be less interesting. It's like she's a whole different person. Maybe that's the point they're trying to make; I don't know.

I purposely didn't vote for totoro (even though it's definitely in my top 3) because I figured that was such an obvious choice, so I'm surprised it doesn't have more votes!

I enjoyed The Wind Rises but it wasn't my favorite. It was clear that it was a film miyazaki was really in love with and as a last project for him it's something to be proud of for sure - beautiful, moving, perfectly understated and real in the ordinary day to day way that ghibli films do so well with the right amount of grander and majesty when it's needed. But the subject matter isn't for everyone, and I can imagine people who really love the more fantastical ghibli movies not enjoying this one as much.

Totoro is definitely great. I had to vote for Princess Mononoke, though. I have some of the same thoughts as you about The Wind Rises -- it's clearly a movie he was in love with. Maybe too much in love with. I hear that he loves planes, and he probably idolizes the real-life person this movie was based on. I thought he was a little out of his element making this one realistic and not fantastical, like his other movies. My friends were confused but kind of liked it. We thought the Italian designer showing up in his dreams was kind of weird, and
Spoiler
his wife basically abandoning him at the end was not a good way to leave him.

I love Studio Ghibli! I've seen about half of these, the rest are on my list to watch as soon as I get the chance. My top favorites are Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. I voted for Princess Mononoke.

~Jennifer

My favorites exactly!

Whisper of the Heart for me. As a writer, it really touches me, and I re-watch it every time I need a boost ^_^ One day I'll own one of those super rare Baron figures...

Oh, yes. I'm a writer, too, and I can relate to Shizuku's struggles so much. And I wish I could find a guy who checks out the same library books as me. :) Kiki's Delivery Service is another one that speaks to me as a writer. She loses her confidence/inspiration and starts losing the ability to fly and to talk to Jiji, just like writer's block or when you start to feel down about your writing.

Not on the list but my absolute favorite: Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind.

Princess Mononoke is an easy second

As someone who vastly prefers Mononoke over Nausicaä, I'd be interested to know why you ranked Nausicaä higher with Mononoke as the follow-up and not the other way around. This is not to judge your tastes or interests :) I just always see Nausicaä as a rather preachy movie with a very black and white message and an unfortunately written heroine and Mononoke as the overall improvement. Is there something in Nausicaä you like better than in Mononoke?
I related a lot with the main character. I was always that kid trying to save every animal I found, even if it was some small and disgusting bug. It was the compassion for animals people otherwise disregard or misunderstand that resonated with me.

The heroine is not only a weird bug kid, but princess weird bug kid. And I liked having someone with a royal title tussling with bugs.

I do like the scene from Nausicaa where she saves the poor baby Ohmu by getting in the acid herself. :( And I like action-adventure movies in general, so I like this one.

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
I have seen most of these, not all. But Howl's Moving Castle I will always love that movie. This is the movie I showed my, reluctant, boyfriend and then he fell in love with Studio Ghibli too!! <3

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
Howl's Moving Castle, followed by Spirited Away, Pom Poko, My Neighbor Totoro, and a Kiki/Ponyo tie.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »
oooh this is a toughie

I put down My Neighbor Totoro because it was my first Miyazaki Film. I have the DVD of the original english dub, so not the Disney one with all the child star voice actors -_-

After that I'd have to say The Cat Return and Spirited Away
But theres not a single one I don't like
I even have the art book for Ponyo!

In 8th grade we had to do a project on someone who made 'an impact' on the world. Someone already took Walt Disney so I did mine on Miyazaki!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

CottonTALE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2014, 03:54:09 PM »
This is a tough decision.... I picked Spirited Away since it was the first one I watched, but I adore My Neighbour Totoro. His puffy-fluffyness made me drawn to being a furry because I wanted to be fluffy too :P

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2014, 06:39:46 AM »
I remembered a fond memory.  My first time seeing Princess Mononoke was sitting around a laptop with my friends during lunch or study hall and watching it bit by bit in Japanese with english subtitles.  We'd get to a good part and then the bell would ring and I'd have to wait forever for the next part.  It was so awesome.

Also if I could vote for my fiance he would totally vote Ponyo.  After watching it the first time he has declared that his favorite film.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal