collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shadowlark's Cleaning/Restoration Thread (PIC HEAVY)  (Read 22912 times)

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowlark's Cleaning/Restoration Thread (PIC HEAVY)
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »
^^
Thanks!

Offline Sweet Stuff

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Lil Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2016, 07:23:29 AM »
These are truly amazing restorations! I am curious to know with Whizzer, did you just clean her eyes or do something else to make them look so bright again?

I'll have to get my hands on some of the products you use for sure!
Currently looking for: NIP G1 Sweet Stuff.

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2016, 02:20:45 PM »
These are truly amazing restorations! I am curious to know with Whizzer, did you just clean her eyes or do something else to make them look so bright again?

Thank you!!

I haven't done anything to any of the Twinkle Eye ponies' eyes. I think with Whizzer I just used magic eraser but looking at the pic I'm thinking it just might be the way the light is hitting her eye that is making it so bright. I have heard you can use nail polish to brighten their eyes but haven't tried it. :)

Offline Sweet Stuff

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Lil Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2016, 07:52:41 AM »

Thank you!!

I haven't done anything to any of the Twinkle Eye ponies' eyes. I think with Whizzer I just used magic eraser but looking at the pic I'm thinking it just might be the way the light is hitting her eye that is making it so bright. I have heard you can use nail polish to brighten their eyes but haven't tried it. :)

Ahhh, that's probably true actually. Either way, she looks fab! Oh, maybe I will try that then. :D
Currently looking for: NIP G1 Sweet Stuff.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
 Wow! Your ponies turned out wonderful! I'm definitely going to try your So-Soft cleaning technique! I once had a wonderful Wind Whistler from ebay that had some red junk between her wings (I think it was popsickle??) but I didn't know to use cold water at the time (probably 8+ years ago), so now she's in a "to deflock" pile. :sad:

You did a great job! I'll have to try some of those techniques! *wanders off to research tinsel taming techniques*  :lol:
I seem to recall someone mentioned to grip the end of a piece of tinsel with tweezers and pull it taught? As I recall, it gave her wonderful results. Sounds a bit putsy, though. :lol:
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2016, 01:55:38 PM »
Oh my goodness! How do you get such tight curls? On Braided Beauty for example. Whenever I curl my Ponies, the curls are gone the next day! What do you use to make the curls and to maintain them?
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline shadowlark

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2016, 03:39:18 PM »
I seem to recall someone mentioned to grip the end of a piece of tinsel with tweezers and pull it taught? As I recall, it gave her wonderful results. Sounds a bit putsy, though. :lol:

I'd just be worried I'd get frustrated and pull too hard and pull it out!

Oh my goodness! How do you get such tight curls? On Braided Beauty for example. Whenever I curl my Ponies, the curls are gone the next day! What do you use to make the curls and to maintain them?

Those are straw curls! Just wrap small sections around straws. I run the hair under really hot water first as it seems to hold longer when using hot water. I pin the start of the hair to the straw with a bobby pin, wrap the hair, and secure the end with paper towel and another bobby pin. Should look something like this (she's almost dry so will add her before & after pics to the main post this evening!)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »

I'd just be worried I'd get frustrated and pull too hard and pull it out!

That's understandable! I don't recall how firmly you have to pull, so I'd be worried about the same problem. ^^;

Those are straw curls! Just wrap small sections around straws. I run the hair under really hot water first as it seems to hold longer when using hot water. I pin the start of the hair to the straw with a bobby pin, wrap the hair, and secure the end with paper towel and another bobby pin. Should look something like this (she's almost dry so will add her before & after pics to the main post this evening!)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I like the idea of using bobby pins! I have been using brace binders, and they're rather annoying to work with. I shall definitely give this method a try! :D

Offline shadowlark

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »
If you try the bobby pins, make sure to remember to put the wavy side inside the straw so it doesn't indent the pony hair :)

Styling G3 Rainbow Dash, Pinwheel, Sugar Sweet and Bouquet added to the main thread!

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
 They look so wonderful! You're really making me look forward to cleaning and restoring my collection instead of dreading it. Thank you!

Oh, I tried the boiling-water-in-the-body method for reforming bodies into their original pose on some customs and a rehair I'm working on -- looks like it works slick! ^.^

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2016, 02:53:20 PM »
Okay, I was going to buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol specifically for use on ponies, and now I have to ask, are you using isopropyl rubbing alcohol, or ethyl rubbing alcohol. ^^;

Offline shadowlark

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2016, 03:45:32 PM »
Okay, I was going to buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol specifically for use on ponies, and now I have to ask, are you using isopropyl rubbing alcohol, or ethyl rubbing alcohol. ^^;

I use isopropyl. Never tried ethyl and not sure if it would have any bad sad effects so I still to isopropyl :)

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2016, 05:05:15 PM »
What great work! I'm curious about how you sunfade. Specifically, what paint you use to cover up symbols and how you get it off.

Offline shadowlark

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2016, 05:21:04 PM »
What great work! I'm curious about how you sunfade. Specifically, what paint you use to cover up symbols and how you get it off.

Thanks! I just use acrylic paint to cover eyes/symbols. Just cheap Folk Art brand. To remove I use rubbing alcohol :)

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 04, 2016, 01:20:59 PM »
Wozwers!!
That Pinwheel!

:drunk: :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal