collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What would convince you to...?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Re: What would convince you to...?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »
I understand any reasoning to sell off rare ponies. However, I think I would sell off other things first before I even decided to get rid of the rarer ponies. Some of those ponies were gifts and I can't force myself to get rid of them.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »
Hmm the only thing I could think of is I gave away a MIB September aster to someone who needed a RAOPK...
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 08:32:16 PM »
I understand everyone's perspective on this and agree with a lot of points, I just wish I could find someone willing to trade or sell me my final Grail haha. I would love to shower them in gifts in return and treasure her forever, I can't even put into words how much it would mean to me and I can't imagine what it'd be like to give her up. 

Exactly! If you cant imagine how hard it would be to trade away such a special pony to you - its often going to be the same for other people who have paid a lot or searched a long time in order to add that pony to their collection. 

How long have you been looking? I can understand the frustration and the desire to own it but So Soft Posey is not a super rare pony and she does come up MOC on occasion. You will find her with time. You have a signature advert and I am sure you are trawling ebay. You or someone will spot her eventually.

I had been searching for 7 years for one particular pony barrette before a certain member here was amazing enough to trade for it. It will happen...it can take time yes but you will get her one day.

I've only been actively searching for a short amount of time, my main frustration is born from the fact that very early on I was outbid on ebay (at 6am, not the best time to be bidding) and still regret it to this day... a near-death experience shortly after made me feel even worse about this, you never know what's going to happen tomorrow (the most important person in my life knows this all too well).

Also, It's kind of hard to explain this but I have memory issues, so my concept of time is a little different than what I assume is normal.

I wish I had pony collector friends to exchange RAOPKs with (I find it especially hard to make friends online), it'd be nice to get even small things just to know someone cares when times are tough, and I love giving gifts. If I were ever to come across a Mimic I'd be finding her a new home with someone who'd love her more than I could, I don't much care for her compared to Posey. ^.^
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline An-Gel Sakura

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • I'm reading your mind as we speak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »
What would convince you to sell rare items in your collections, not because you need the money but
just because someone else desperately wants to buy it?

Since I collected multiples of the rares, in the past with JLU, all they needed to do was ask for help.
My spare MLP rares are not as many as my JLU rares but I'll try to help.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »
I did it a few times. I love doing good, I love giving things to someone who really appreciates them more but ... due to the experience I made, I would not do it again if I myself dont plan on selling the particular item anyways.

One was a MIB G1 which somebody "really really really needed or they would die". It was from my personal collection and I was sad to let it go, but... the person sounded so sad... and then they sold it further on only 3 weeks later for more money I had asked.
The other one was an Euro G1 Baby which someone asked me for, also telling me they "would die if I wont sell it" to them. And.. it was sold further on the very same week.
I had a hard time to get those items for my collection again.

Sure it was my own decision to give my stuff away and its everyone´s own decision to sell stuff they just bought... but those experiences taught me not to give everything away, especially not items I myself still enjoy, just because someone likes them too.
Dont get me wrong, I love trading, I love giving, I love everything involved with ponies and making people happy :) But as long as I still enjoy the items, I wont give them away.

On the other hand... if I dont enjoy a particular item that much and somebody asks me for I would probably sell :)

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »
Hmmm, good question!  I never know what I'm going to do:).  Maybe, just maybe I'll send a rare pony out in a swap or as a gift.  It's very hard for me not to love my rare Alitas, but if I know someone will give her a loving home, I feel better about letting her go.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 06:29:31 AM »
One was a MIB G1 which somebody "really really really needed or they would die". It was from my personal collection and I was sad to let it go, but... the person sounded so sad... and then they sold it further on only 3 weeks later for more money I had asked.
The other one was an Euro G1 Baby which someone asked me for, also telling me they "would die if I wont sell it" to them. And.. it was sold further on the very same week.
I had a hard time to get those items for my collection again.

Oh wow, I don't know how I'd feel about that if it happened to me, but I know keeping my composure would be hard. I would straight up feel uncomfortable from the get-go over the 'need it or die' spiel. There is no pony in the world that I need (Only my family, friends & dog are that important to me), but getting my final grail would certainly give me a feeling of completion and peace that I can't explain or ever properly thank the other person for. ^.^

Hmmm, good question!  I never know what I'm going to do:).  Maybe, just maybe I'll send a rare pony out in a swap or as a gift.  It's very hard for me not to love my rare Alitas, but if I know someone will give her a loving home, I feel better about letting her go.

I can imagine that receiving a rare pony unexpectedly in a swap would be just indescribable. If I were the generous sender or speechless receiver I think I'd have warm fuzzy feelings for a long time. :P
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 07:36:19 AM »
I've never sold anything in my collection because I think someone would love it more than me.  I've sold because I personally didn't care for the item, and I've passed on ebay auctions to PM people that I know are looking for bits in the auctions to let them know it's available, but I've never just decided someone might love my ponies more than I do. 

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 07:59:45 AM »
I kinda feel like this about my boys. I have a few lovely big brothers, and I like them just fine, but I know they would be more loved and appreciated in other homes, so they need to move on.

Offline PrincessKelliee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 08:19:02 AM »
Einhornbaby, your story makes me sad. I don't understand how people could treat others that way. You went above and beyond yourself to make them happy. And instead of being happy, they stab you in the back. That's the way I see it.. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I don't have any super rare Ponies, and yes, I would die just to get any Pony MOC. So I don't really have any thought about that. If I had a connection with someone, or their story really spoke to me, I might give up a pony. But, if I someone got me a rare Pony, and I stopped collecting, or wanted to sell it, I would ask that person fist if they would want it back.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 07:39:42 AM »
I understand everyone's perspective on this and agree with a lot of points, I just wish I could find someone willing to trade or sell me my final Grail haha. I would love to shower them in gifts in return and treasure her forever, I can't even put into words how much it would mean to me and I can't imagine what it'd be like to give her up. 

Exactly! If you cant imagine how hard it would be to trade away such a special pony to you - its often going to be the same for other people who have paid a lot or searched a long time in order to add that pony to their collection. 

How long have you been looking? I can understand the frustration and the desire to own it but So Soft Posey is not a super rare pony and she does come up MOC on occasion. You will find her with time. You have a signature advert and I am sure you are trawling ebay. You or someone will spot her eventually.

I had been searching for 7 years for one particular pony barrette before a certain member here was amazing enough to trade for it. It will happen...it can take time yes but you will get her one day.

I've only been actively searching for a short amount of time, my main frustration is born from the fact that very early on I was outbid on ebay (at 6am, not the best time to be bidding) and still regret it to this day... a near-death experience shortly after made me feel even worse about this, you never know what's going to happen tomorrow (the most important person in my life knows this all too well).

Also, It's kind of hard to explain this but I have memory issues, so my concept of time is a little different than what I assume is normal.

I wish I had pony collector friends to exchange RAOPKs with (I find it especially hard to make friends online), it'd be nice to get even small things just to know someone cares when times are tough, and I love giving gifts. If I were ever to come across a Mimic I'd be finding her a new home with someone who'd love her more than I could, I don't much care for her compared to Posey. ^.^

You will find her :) I honestly cant tell you the number of times I have been out bid on items over the years through sleeping through an "ebay middle of the night alarm" or simply forgetting the end of an auction. It is super frustrating. And even years and years later sometimes I still think of the auction that got away. But out of all the auctions missed, in all this time there is only one auction which I have never seen the item come back up for sale for ... and thats the one I kick myself over. Everything else popped back up again.

As for the RAOPK, have you ever signed up for any swaps? Or tried to take part in a private swap with someone? They dont need to be expensive or complicated but thats a lovely way to both send and receive general pony gifts.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »
W

Which pony are you searching for?

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 11:26:06 AM »
Hathor : I haven't taken part in any swaps, I'm too nervous and shy to do so. :blush: Maybe one day I'll join an AUS pony swap and meet some local collectors. ^.^

Thunderwing : I'm searching for a MOC SoSoft Posey. If I can find her I would be completely overwhelmed, she means so much to me. Posey is so special, I never had ponies as a child but my girlfriend (who doesn't collect) had a Posey when she was little. I didn't even know she was her childhood pony until after I had fallen in love, now I feel the connection is that much stronger and meaningful. :blush:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
Hathor : I haven't taken part in any swaps, I'm too nervous and shy to do so. :blush: Maybe one day I'll join an AUS pony swap and meet some local collectors. ^.^

:hug: Everyone is lovely and honestly I find that swaps are a great way to make friends on the forum because you become part of a little active group of collectors with joint interests :) Alternatively check out a private swap with someone in Australia - you will have a good time.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal