collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dying help  (Read 532 times)

prowlsgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Dying help
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
I got a white tail from one of old G1's I'm customizing and I'm going to reuse it's tail but I want it have black steaks in it.  I got black RiT dye but I'm afried to use it cause my mom don't want me make a mess is there another way to make black stripes?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Dying help
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
I don't find RIT black dye works very well on nylon hair, and it does tend to be messy.  Your best bet would probably be to buy some black and simply add it to the tail.  Maybe see if anyone in the Dollyhair trade thread has a bit of leftover black to share? 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

prowlsgirl

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
I don't find RIT black dye works very well on nylon hair, and it does tend to be messy.  Your best bet would probably be to buy some black and simply add it to the tail.  Maybe see if anyone in the Dollyhair trade thread has a bit of leftover black to share?
I was thinking of that but I'm unsure how to get the metal bar off that got crimped to the tail.  I was aslo thinking of asking them but I'm very new at making customs and don't have any extra hair to share. -_-
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:14:39 PM by prowlsgirl »

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »
I have used Rit dye on original pony hair (G3 pony) and it worked fabulously!

If your mom is afraid of you making a mess, you can always do this outside. Just be sure to use the RIT powder dye and not the liquid.

Boil some water and dissolve the dye in it along with some vinegar or salt, as the instructions say. Then take that outside, lay down some newspaper, or get a paper plate.

Separate out the strips that you want to be black, and protect the rest somehow. Either just be really careful, or wrap it in saran wrap to be safe.

Then carefully dip the free strands into the hot dye and let them soak a bit, then lay them out on the paper to dry. Rinse. If it's not dark enough, repeat.  You can also just paint the dye onto the hair with a paintbrush. I have done both methods with great results.

Alternatively, if you decide to add to the tail and cannot get the metal crimp off, just leave the crimp in and use something else to bind the black hair over it. Wrap some wire around it maybe, or a zip tie. Then put the tail back in.

prowlsgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
I have used Rit dye on original pony hair (G3 pony) and it worked fabulously!

If your mom is afraid of you making a mess, you can always do this outside. Just be sure to use the RIT powder dye and not the liquid.

Boil some water and dissolve the dye in it along with some vinegar or salt, as the instructions say. Then take that outside, lay down some newspaper, or get a paper plate.

Separate out the strips that you want to be black, and protect the rest somehow. Either just be really careful, or wrap it in saran wrap to be safe.

Then carefully dip the free strands into the hot dye and let them soak a bit, then lay them out on the paper to dry. Rinse. If it's not dark enough, repeat.  You can also just paint the dye onto the hair with a paintbrush. I have done both methods with great results.

Alternatively, if you decide to add to the tail and cannot get the metal crimp off, just leave the crimp in and use something else to bind the black hair over it. Wrap some wire around it maybe, or a zip tie. Then put the tail back in.
Well she just don't want me to do it where we had set up for my craft projects (mostly cause she don't want me to acidently spill any on the carpet).  She said if I want to dye some where, do it in the bath room but I still don't want to mess it up.  I read somewhere if  you bought the liquied kind you can just paint it on if you wanted stripes.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »
The liquid type of RIT does not take on ponies, unfortunately.  I haven't heard of anyone having success using it.  Don't waste your money. :o
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal