collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what is "final value fee on shipping"???  (Read 579 times)

from1981

• Trade Count: (0)
what is "final value fee on shipping"???
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:41:49 PM »
Yiiiikes. Well, I agree about the recent extreme & repeated holds on the phone with eBay customer support & I have limited minutes on my phone, so since I already phoned them once this week, I asking members here, what in the world is final value fees on shipping?I was looking at the itemized breakdown of all my seller activity for the invoice that was just paid  & activity since the invoice & saw three instances of "final value fee on shipping" worded exactly that way. How can they charge a final value fee on shipping? My daughter and I sell on her account these days , but from 2006-2010 I and a partner sold together on eBay, but I never paid attention to the fee breakdown
 :huh:
thanks in advance
 :)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: what is "final value fee on shipping"???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
The fees on shipping are a fairly recent thing. Basically they take a percentage of the amount you charge for shipping. It was done to discourage people from doing the thing where they'd list an item for really cheap to avoid fees and then jut charge crazy amounts for shipping to get their money.

from1981

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »
Thanks.I've seen some huge shipping amounts I'll admit, but mostly on lots like when I've been looking at dino lots . My items are dolls. Thing is sometimes fed-ex is less expensive, but last week when we did a shipping label on eBay's site because paypal hadn't been offering fed-ex, eBay stated they would bill my daughter's account, but then took the money out of her bank account, and eBay doesn't have her bank account, so paypal violated it's oath even if eBay does own them. Anyway the fee charges seem to be very erratic.thanks again

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:31:59 PM by from1981 »

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »
The shipping fee is around 9% of the  amount charged for shipping. I just checked the shipping amounts on a bunch of my recent auctions & the fees charged, and each one came out to 0.089 or 0.090 percent.

eBay tells you that if you buy shipping through their site that it will "save money" and sort of level out the fee cost. That's not really true. Yes, buying postage online through eBay is cheaper than buying from the post office, but it's not 9% cheaper so you still lose money on every item shipped because of the fee. The only way to not lose money on shipping is to charge more than the actual cost of shipping, which is exactly what eBay is supposed to be discouraging with this fee. It's a lose-lose situation for buyers & sellers, but eBay still makes their money. :huh:

from1981

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
kitkatvintage thanks so much for explaining because in the old days when I sold with a partner on eBay it was before I was as poor as I am now, though we did do some selling in 2010. LOVE your Avi, Bowtie is one of my pony obsessions :( right now because I can't locate my Italian one though. eBay is getting sneaky ridiculous. My daughter & I have been mostly selling my dolls & one MIB pony on eBay & as we actually have printer ink lately I was trying to save my daughter from having to stand in line at the post office which she had to do a few times + a few trips to fex-ex/kinkos & now that you mention it I've noticed that the postal website always states the online price is less.Oh well, unfortunately I don't have $7000 worth of anime to sell like we did in 2006, so I really  only have 1 more possible item I'm going to list. They hold my money despite glowing feedback, for 17 to 21 days anyway, ridiculous. thanks again

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »
Yeah, the FVF for shipping is to discourage the practice of recouping sales costs without paying fees for them. 

Also, new sellers should be aware that if a buyer buys an item by mistake and changes their mind and you have to refund them as a seller, Paypal will not refund all your money.  They will keep a small amount. 

from1981

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »
I'm not new. But when I sold on eBay before it was with a partner &a business account & there was a two year time period since my ex-partner & I sold together & when my daughter & I started selling on there.I haven't had anybody change their mind, I suppose you're referring to asking to cancel a transaction. Never heard of eBay keeping part of a payment with a cancellation. I suppose you're saying they don't refund the entire final value fee. I can understand in one case the shipping thing, but with one bjd I sold he was a 73.5 cm bjd and I had to pay an extra $5 + out of my own pocket to ship. Anyway I was just wondering as I really didn't pay attention to the fees previously when I use to sell with a partner. Seems after you add it all up, it comes to about 25% if you add all the fees, but I've only got one more item I might list anyway as I've sold most of the items I planned to sell there. thanks everybody.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:05:02 PM by from1981 »

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »
Ebay *is* getting ridiculous isnt it?  :(  as if they dont take enough monies from sellers in fees anyways without adding the shipping FVfee.

The only way to not lose money on shipping is to charge more than the actual cost of shipping, which is exactly what eBay is supposed to be discouraging with this fee. It's a lose-lose situation for buyers & sellers, but eBay still makes their money. :huh:
This ^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal