collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Forums for kids  (Read 441 times)

Offline horseygal

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Pony Forums for kids
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:39:58 PM »
 :P Can anyone help my daughter Cate. She really wants to join an online MLP forum BUT she's only 7. Does anyone know of a site for kids??? Thanks. :biggrin:

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
Re: Pony Forums for kids
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »
The problem is, there is relatively few forums for kids out there. COPPA makes it a pain to create a forum for kids, and makes it a pain for kids (and their parents) to sign up for a forum. One forum I used to moderate for requires that parents download and sign off a COPPA release form, and then somehow get a fax machine to fax it back, before the kid's account can be approved.

That said, I wish you luck in finding a suitable for-kids MLP forum.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:38:18 AM »
I've never seen one :/
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 02:09:21 PM »
Not likely...  there are very specific legislations regarding children and the Internet.  Anyone under the age of 13 is not supposed to be given access to "open-ended" things like forums and Facebook and so forth.  They can participate in websites where appropriate activities are provided in safe , scripted context that prevents them from truly interacting with the whole of the Internet.  Some of the safe sites include Neopets and American Girl. But the sites don't provide the ability for say, a 50-year adult to pretend they are a child and then start talking about sexual topics or asking for personal info, or flashing their bodies on a webcam conversation.  You go to these sites to play games and possibly interact in previously-scripted scenarios that don't allow children to say, "I'm Sally; I have a three year old sister and we live in Typicaltown, USA.  My school is Rambling Oak Academy and my favorite candy is Skittles.  I play at the park on Saturdays and my mommy and daddy let me ride my bike alone there!"

Nothing wrong with browsing the Arena with her over your shoulder though!  You can explain the jokes and make sure she isn't confused by anything she may see or read.  If she has comments, you are more than welcome to post, "My daughter says...."  But it's under your control and therefore no worries!  :D

Hope that helps...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »
Yeah there's very little in the way of kid friendly forums.
 When I was on neopets if you were under the age of 13 you had a very restricted account and couldn't do much in the way of community stuff like you couldn't send neomail, or have neofriends. Like has been mentioned its due to COPPA so I don't know what to suggest

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 03:40:13 AM »
Unfortunately, for pretty much all the reasons LBS, mentions there isn't really a forum site like that about. The legalities and responsibilities in managing a group of children on line where it is seldom possible to be 100% certain on the real age and identity behind posters makes it potential nightmare for any forum owner - for that reason they dont tend to exist and its also the reason most forums like this one, which is family friendly in content, dont permit anyone under the age of 14 to be on the boards.

For as young as 7, I would suggest sites like Hasbros own MLP site - no forums but a variety of content which hopefully she will find interesting.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline horseygal

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 02:58:36 AM »
Thanks guys!! Unfortunately Cate finds the Hasbro site a bit daggy and I've managed to convince her to go back to Nickelodeon and Reading eggs for now. She does love having a look on here with me- she LOVES G1 ponies;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal