collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Resealed by Global Shipping Program"  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Libelle

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
"Resealed by Global Shipping Program"
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:53:22 AM »
Heya everyone!

Last week, I bought a pony from an ebay seller who was located in the US. The seller had opted for the Global Shipping Program.

Earlier today I received the parcel containing the pony. It had the following label stuck to its side:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In other words, the parcel was opened, checked and resealed by Global Shipping Program employees.

To be honest, I was surprised. (It was the first time that I had used the Global Shipping Program.)

Is the opening and resealing standard procedure? If yes, I believe, it would be good to spread the word. :blush: Just imagine you have bought a MOC pony and the seller uses the GSP: the risk of somebody opening the parcel, unwrapping the item contained within, and damaging the card becomes even greater ... Thankfully, all was well this time around.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:55:07 AM by Libelle »

Thank you Sundown for my Fairy Tail Birds!
Wishlist

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: "Resealed by Global Shipping Program"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 06:18:42 AM »
It's been my experience that the GSP does do that. My husband purchased 3 items from sellers that used that program and each item arrived with a notice that it had been repacked/resealed. Luckily nothing was damaged, but I'm truly not a fan of that program for this reason as well as others.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 06:58:21 AM »
I really think they need to check the package for the correct item. If they don't, it could be on then if the item is illegal.

I think most, if not all, forwarding services do this. EBay related or not.

Eta: I do worry about the things I safely package if they will package it the same way. :/ but that's the risk
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:00:52 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 07:07:42 AM »
It may partly be to see what's in the box, but I think the greater purpose is to make the box + item lighter.  Because the lighter it is for the GSP to send, the more profit they make.

I've seen sellers on eBay's forums complaining that the GSP replaced their careful packaging of fragile items with insufficient padding, resulting in damage, so it is definitely a risk.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:09:54 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:20:33 AM »
I hate the Global Shipping Program.  Agree they are trying to stint on packaging.

I hate that when you sell something on ebay now- unless you are very careful, the global shipping thing is automatically selected every single time and you have to look for, find and UNCHECK the box in order to NOT ship using that thing.

It slows down shipping, makes it a lot more expensive for your buyer, and then the buyer dings YOU for shipping cost and time.  Not a good program.  The only thing that is good about it- and something they lobby/leverage quite heavily-  is that you are basically fully insured if you use the stupid program, which is not the case if you are trying to save the buyer a few bucks and go first class.

Offline Libelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
I've seen sellers on eBay's forums complaining that the GSP replaced their careful packaging of fragile items with insufficient padding, resulting in damage, so it is definitely a risk.

Oh my goodness, that's awful! Definitely a reason to stay clear of the GSP if possible! Thanks a lot for your input everyone! I've definitely learned a lesson today.

Wishlist

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 12:51:33 PM »
I received a similar package with a NY address on it which I thought was strange as the pony was shipped from the UK. Then I went back in the listing to investigate and saw it was shipped via GSP so figured it had something to do with that. That was the second time a package from the UK was sent like that.

Flickerswift

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
Wow! That sounds insane! Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
I've gone through the GSP twice.  The first was a bait lot, and they lost 2 of the 40ish ponies when they repackaged it.  The seller was kind enough to replace them, but I never found out if she took it up with ebay successfully.  The second was a Mint in Box comiccon pony.  It was repackaged without the bubble wrap and paper that the seller had used, just on it's own inside of a bigger box.  The surface of the pony's box was really scuffed up by the time it got to me.  I was pretty upset, but it wasn't the seller's fault.  I refuse to buy through the GSP now.  I will spend more to have someone ship directly.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »

This happened to me. I bought something that the seller sent through the GSP in its original packaging wrapped in brown paper. I don't think they completely repackaged it though, what they did do was start to slash the paper off and realised they were damaging my purchase underneith so they taped it back up as is... Now with big old cuts all over my vintage packaging.

Granted, I knew the packaging was worse for wear already but I had seen pictures of it from all sides, so the slash marks GSP put in it with their box cutter were really obvious. It then made the rest of the trip safely, no more cuts or dents despite the minimal packaging. But the GSP didn't even care enough after damaging it to add any further protection, though they claim that they open and repackage more efficiently and securely.

Looks like everyone has a bad experience story with the GSP.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
Yep, the GSP is a big ol' turd, IMHO. I won't buy from sellers who use it. If a seller has something I really want, I message them and ask them if they will ship it to me directly. If not, I don't bid.

I have to wonder how much of the 'up front' customs and duty charges actually go to the country that they are collected for. I've noticed that they are being charged on auctions that they shouldn't be (for example, import and duty fees being charged on items going to Canada that should be duty exempt).

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 04:30:58 PM »
I really don't like the GSP for this reason (as well as it being more expensive for buyers). I never send my items using that- I pack very carefully, do a special gift wrap service and I completely seal my boxes in a special way. I would hate for someones  box - especially wrapped as a gift for someone special- to be pulled apart and repacked /possibly damaged and messed up by the GSP.
I've only bought from people using it a few times and my parcels were opened too :mad:  One was a plush so it wasn't messed up but another set of 2 MIB dolls had their boxes damaged/dented - and they weren't like that from the seller.
Avoid if at all possible - that's my advice.

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Libelle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 01:26:04 AM »
I have to wonder how much of the 'up front' customs and duty charges actually go to the country that they are collected for. I've noticed that they are being charged on auctions that they shouldn't be (for example, import and duty fees being charged on items going to Canada that should be duty exempt).

Oh yes, I can confirm this one! I've been collecting stickers for a while now, and I am 100% certain that for a sticker sheet of about 2 g in weight and 1 USD in value, I would not have to pay any custom charges, let alone the more than 20 USD the GSP has calculated for me ...

Wishlist

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 02:11:33 AM »
I am so disillusioned by GSP. I ordered some ponies from America over a month ago, and they have yet to show up. I kind of doubt they ever will. I really wanted them too *cries*
But, lesson learnt. No more GSP for me. I'm glad to see some sellers aren't taken in by it either.

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 02:43:16 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear people's purchases have been tampered with and damaged, especially MIBs.  That's just not right.   :sad:  And it sounds it's just as big a drama for sellers.  How mean to undo someone's careful packaging. 

I never use it because the prices are wayyyy beyond my budget, and very inconsistent.  Sometimes you get what might be close to the actual post-office price for Priority (like say USD $23 for a single pony), other times they've been over $100 for a single pony.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal