collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay: Do buyers ALWAYS win?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Ebay: Do buyers ALWAYS win?
« on: September 06, 2013, 06:03:43 AM »
Looks like I will be increasing my shipping charges because on one nasty buyer....

Obviously I failed to CYA myself, but not purchasing DC/tracking for an e-bay package I mailed out. I have the original receipt with the PO's internal tracking number (are these traceable?) I sent a picture of the receipt to the buyer pointing out the zipcode and Post office's address. This was not enough proof for the buyer. She made a claim requesting refund for the product AND original shipping....

Personally I will drop a case if the buyer can show me that the package was shipped, but not this buyer.- Am I stupid for doing this?

I offered to refund her for just the cost of the item and not shipping- she will NOT agree to this, she wants it all. I have calculated that issuing a refund to the buyer (for a $5 pony) will cost me nearly $25 (to issue an $8 refund).

(Best offer of $5 off my asking price + ebay fees, Shipping Fees and then a refund).

If I allow e-Bay to make the final determination I will lose anyway- am I correct in this since I cannot prove the buyer received the pony?

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay: Do buyers ALWAYS win?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:22:01 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm lost. What happened?

You sold something on ebay, shipped it without tracking and the buyer says they didn't receive it and wants a full refund? How long has it been?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:30:23 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm lost. What happened?

You sold something on ebay, shipped it without tracking and the buyer says they didn't receive it and wants a full refund? How long has it been?

Exactly. It was shipped August 12th.
Destined from NY to OR.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:34:16 AM »
Well, no the buyers don't always win.

But in this case, then yes, because ebay wants to see delivery confirmation (I guess they call it tracking now?). That person could very well be lying. :< You can't trust anyone these days. (They could be honest too, but you never know!)

What I suggest is to invest in a small scale. Shipping prices will be cheaper if you can purchase online AND it will include a tracking number. I got mine for $2 at a flea market... works like a charm. But I know a lot of people have good affordable suggestions for new ones.

BTW, I really think it absolutely sucks to lose money. But I think that happens when you sell things. Sometimes you'll just lose money.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 06:39:23 AM »
Sorry about that :( I always get tracking on mine in case anyone pulls that stunt on me. If you sent it Priority then they have $50 insurance on it. Perhaps it got lost? Or perhaps the buyer is lying :(
My Wish List

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 06:43:58 AM »
If I allow e-Bay to make the final determination I will lose anyway- am I correct in this since I cannot prove the buyer received the pony?
Unfortunately, yes. To be protected, the tracking information will need to show proof of delivery from a shipping company that clearly displays the delivery status of the item as “delivered”, the date of delivery (which reflects that you shipped within the stated handling time), and the recipient’s address.

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
Think about it from EBay's perspective - it's your word versus the buyer...  they need a third-party to accurately answer the question.  USPS or other services provide tracking for this reason.  :( 

It's unfortunate that tracking doesn't come standard with packages like for Canada Post but I understand the volume of mail in the USA is so much higher that they have the sender determine how fast they want it to arrive/if at all.  :(

Do you file shipping charges as expenses on your business taxes?  If so, at least you can write the amount off.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »

Do you file shipping charges as expenses on your business taxes?  If so, at least you can write the amount off.

It is hobby income. I hardly make a profit, can you imagine what the IRS would way when I spent 5k on purchases and took a draw of 4k (as items going into my own collection)?

Offline ponylady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »
The thing is whether you feel you make a profit or not, it is still considered income in the IRS's eyes. And you can only claim it as a hobby for three years. Just a FYI so you don't wind up in any kind of trouble.

If I was you I would do as Bandit has suggested. I would get a small postal scale and print your labels through Ebay. First Class has automatic tracking/delivery confirmation. It is uploaded immediately into the system so if a problem like this occurs in the future they will almost automatically side with you.

I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »
If I had a reliable printer it would be great and save me money if I could print label from home, but that is NOT an option.

I deal with taxation for a living... The line between business and hobby is a real thin one:

An activity is presumed for profit if it makes a profit in at least three of the last five tax years, including the current year (or at least two of the last seven years for activities that consist primarily of breeding, showing, training or racing horses).

http://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Questions-&-Answers/Small-Business,-Self-Employed,-Other-Business/Income-&-Expenses/Income-&-Expenses

On another question:
Are there advantages for me to refund my buyer Vs letting the determination be made by e-Bay? If I issue the refund I will get the PP fees back, but if e-Bay does a chargeback I don't?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »

It is hobby income. I hardly make a profit, can you imagine what the IRS would way when I spent 5k on purchases and took a draw of 4k (as items going into my own collection)?

Ouch!  That's part of the nasty side of building up an inventory isn't it!  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ponylady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 03:43:59 AM »
If you refund her then yes you will get your Paypal fee's back. I do not think you do if Ebay sides in her favor. I am not 100% sure on that though, as I have never had to deal with Ebay getting involved. If you want my honest opinion, I would probably go ahead and refund her and not let Ebay make the decision. They will penalize you if you have more than 2 cases closed without resolution.  Plus it leaves it wide open for her to leave negative feedback for not coming to a resolution on your own. I am not saying there is not already the probability she will but it's better to resolve the issue on your own accord.

I suppose since you already mentioned that you are not able to purchase a reliable printer, then you need to up your shipping to Priority so you have tracking. It's going to be the only thing that helps prevent this from happening in the future.  :huh:

I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
Chip, you probably will lose this case because you cannot provide eBay with proof.  They will refund your buyer in full.  I know it is hard to hear, but it is the truth.

From eBay's perspective, they have to see both sides, and without proof of shipping and delivery, your side of the story comes off as weak.

When you sell on eBay, they give you as a seller numerous ways to be protected.  Those of us who DO report to the IRS and run our stores as businesses, recognized by the states we live in, will always take advantage of the Seller Protection requirements.  I will never ship something in the Post Office if I can avoid it.  It takes me more time and effort to actually go to a post office than it does to print my label online.

I agree you should invest in a scale and a printer.  At this point, with your $25 loss in mind, one more loss of the same amount would BUY you the printer and scale that would have won you your case.

I apologize if I am being harsh, but I believe this is the second time you have been through this that I have read about here, and I would like to see you not go through it again.

I wish you only the best.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
I'd do priority shipping whenever possible too, because it has free tracking.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 05:54:51 AM »
Thanks for confirming for me what I had read on e-Bay. I didn't think I had much of a chance, I was trying to work with the buyer, but I guess she sees me as much of a dishonest person as I see her. I have no idea whether the pony arrived and she just has buyers remorse or whether the the PO lost it.... Most of the people I have dealt with on this are fine with seeing a proof of mailing (copy of the receipt) and a partial refund or replacement. This person wants everything, Happily I would have refunded the cost of the pony, but NOT shipping.

Stormy that last hiccup was an arena member (NOT e-bay) related.... This is the 3rd package I that has gone missing this year with the Post office- it gets kind of frustrating.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal