collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: pony flipping.....kinda  (Read 4537 times)

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: pony flipping.....kinda
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 03:21:49 AM »
I think that beautiful Marie Antoniette pony is the one in question.  I think they are saying whoever commissioned you is the one selling.  I could be wrong.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 03:32:22 AM »
Hmmm, not exactly sure how to put this. I've never bought a custom, but if I was to buy one I would consider it mine. If the time came to part with it, and I could get more money than what I paid for it I would. It might be polite to contact the artists, but I wouldn't feel obligated to do such a thing. I also would find it a bit rude if they had a fit about me selling it. If they were to tell me upon buying from them they didn't want me to sell it. I just wouldn't buy from that person. Sometimes things come up and people need money. I've personally never had to sell any artsie thing I've bought from someone, but you just never know.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 04:11:01 AM »
Hi there.
It's killing me to know... what custom we sold?

Your Marie Antoinette. Do an ebay search for Custom My Little Pony, then sort the prices highest to lowest and she should show up pretty quick for about $400 so far. No bids when last I looked.

Offline PoniesYeah

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tamisery
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »
oh hell... It sucks so see her being resold so soon. But its certainly not the first time it's happen. and wont be the last.
The funny thing is, when I see one of my pieces go up for sale... I want so bad to buy it back. but I can never afford myself. And that Ladies-to-the-Gs is Irony.

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »
I don't consider custom flipping bad at all. If someone bought something that I made (whether it was a custom pony or some other craft item) and then flipped for 5x what they paid for it I would be happy for them.

If they get more than what I got for it, obviously they have better advertising skills.

Also, many people here consider custom ponies "art" (and they are obviously). This is what you do in the art world and also, many people buy art pieces for the pure reason of hoping it gains value.

Art is flipped constantly and I don't know why custom ponies should be in any other category other than an item that someone owns.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »
Personally, I would never "flip" a custom.  If I buy a custom, it is because I love it and want it.  If sometime in the future I need to sell it for whatever reason, I don't see anything wrong with that and I don't see anything wrong with selling it for a price you feel it is worth.  But flipping right away just wouldn't sit right with me unless it was an emergency, but that is just me.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 05:30:44 PM »
oh hell... It sucks so see her being resold so soon. But its certainly not the first time it's happen. and wont be the last.
The funny thing is, when I see one of my pieces go up for sale... I want so bad to buy it back. but I can never afford myself. And that Ladies-to-the-Gs is Irony.

Do you mind indulging our curiosity in how much she originally cost?

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
Personally, I would never "flip" a custom.  If I buy a custom, it is because I love it and want it.  If sometime in the future I need to sell it for whatever reason, I don't see anything wrong with that and I don't see anything wrong with selling it for a price you feel it is worth.  But flipping right away just wouldn't sit right with me unless it was an emergency, but that is just me.

Like I said I don't know the full situation, but in their description on the bottom I do believe it was mentioned that they had to sell it for some reason. I'm assuming they need money, and they hoped that pony would bring more than other things they have?
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »
That could be the case.  I once had to sell something right after I bought it due to a financial issue that came up. It was so sad especially because I had saved up for it. 

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »
I hope I didn't miss in the posts I scanned but to me flipping is purchasing with the sole intent of making a profit when reselling in the future. I'm not against making a profit either but for me the idea of "flipping" is all about the intentions! Reminds of "House Flipping" during the housing boom.

That said, not for or against any type of flipping. To each his/her own!
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 04:17:05 AM »
I hope I didn't miss in the posts I scanned but to me flipping is purchasing with the sole intent of making a profit when reselling in the future. I'm not against making a profit either but for me the idea of "flipping" is all about the intentions! Reminds of "House Flipping" during the housing boom.

That said, not for or against any type of flipping. To each his/her own!

Yeah, I think the general definition for what people are talking about here is that "flipping" equals buying something with the intent to sell it.

I don't understand why this is such a hot topic and why it creates so much controversy on this particular forum. A custom pony is no different than a regular pony gift or not.

The only time I would get annoyed at flipping, is if someone joined a swap for the pure intention of making money on it. So that would mean they skimped on their side of the swap. That's the only thing that I would think would be kind of low. Of course, if they just sold off their side of the swap cause they ended up not wanting it that's another story.

Other than that scenario (which I don't think has ever happened - At least, I've never seen a thread about it) people should realize there is nothing wrong with flipping. I can say if someone told me I wasn't allowed to sell something that I purchased from them I wouldn't hesitate to make a complaint.

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 04:48:51 AM »
Well I don't think I'd ever 'flip' a custom simply because of what that pony would mean to me. I'd feel like, as it was made especially for me, that it would somehow be a gift even if I'd paid for it. I also get sentimental and attached to things like that ;) That's just me and my own personal view on it. While ever it is sad to see something sold so quickly after being purchased, alas it is up to the items new owner what they do with it.

As for flipping regular ponies (sorry to go off topic but I missed out on posting in the other 'flipping' thread -  and I promise to keep this brief and civil) I really don't see a problem AT ALL with doing this. I flip ponies. I buy lots from ebay where I have no itention to keep any of them because this is the only way I can fund my very expensive collecting hobby. I buy the ponies, clean them, spend loads of time on them and resell them. I start the majority of my auctions low and let bidders bid what they will for them but on the occasion I put the price higher than my usual £0.99-£5 start price then that's my prerogative. Also, I buy from Taobao for myself and often buy one or two extras of a pony to resell to, again, fund my own collecting. Without flipping I would not be able to collect to the extent that I want to and do now. /end rant (apologies again for the slightly OT rant, but it was bothering me after reading the other thread) xxxx

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »
The only time I would get annoyed at flipping, is if someone joined a swap for the pure intention of making money on it. So that would mean they skimped on their side of the swap. That's the only thing that I would think would be kind of low. Of course, if they just sold off their side of the swap cause they ended up not wanting it that's another story.

Other than that scenario (which I don't think has ever happened - At least, I've never seen a thread about it)

This has happened, actually. There was someone who was selling customs they recieved in swaps when they had never sent their side and stopped communicating with the host. I think it happened several times with this person, but because the swaps all started within a similar timeframe, there was no way for the swap hosts to know that this person was super shady because they hadn't gotten feedback on it yet. It was a disaster.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 10:29:11 AM »

Other than that scenario (which I don't think has ever happened - At least, I've never seen a thread about it)

This has happened, actually. There was someone who was selling customs they recieved in swaps when they had never sent their side and stopped communicating with the host. I think it happened several times with this person, but because the swaps all started within a similar timeframe, there was no way for the swap hosts to know that this person was super shady because they hadn't gotten feedback on it yet. It was a disaster.

WOW- that is seriously... wow.

Offline SweetScoops

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »
When I feel the need to sell a pony I comissioned someone to do I usually sell them for the same prize I got it at.
I think it's common courtesy to ask the maker first if they want to buy it back too, but after that it's yours to do whatever you want with.

Still. I HATE flipping :(
One is loved because one is loved, no reason is needed for loving - Coelho.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal