collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: UK Customs Charges *tears hair out*  (Read 4845 times)

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
Re: UK Customs Charges *tears hair out*
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 08:06:04 AM »
that sucks!  they always find a way to get your money!
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
Auch, and i thought the Netherlands were bad.. sorry to hear you had over 100 pounds on customs fees, only in this year, Sarah! That's rediculous much!!

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »
i didn't know that, it is different in the uk.

any packet you send regular mail, that is no tracking or added insurance is automatically insured for the value of £42 GBP so long as it is not jewellery, cash or vouchers.

The value  our parcels are  automatically insured for went up to £46, and I believe its higher now  (it is the cost of 10 first class stamps..)  I have to get a new price list and check the details again though since the prices have all changed  :awake:

NoD I know what you mean about swap boxes. Its a toughie!  however , since its a gift, and if the value is less than £40 /approx $63 ( and like I just mentioned, the value might have gone up now, I have to check) , then sending a parcel to a UK  partner should be ok  and not get any fees even if you put the true value on the box...unless you have joined a really high value swap, or you went waaay over the swap budget ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »
Along the same vein, how reliable is the Royal Mail postal service?
For myself I buy a lot from the US. I request inexpensive first class shipping when possible (without insurance). should a package get lost, all I would request from the seller is a scan of the receipt as proof they did indeed send, and I would eat that loss. So far, after over a decade, I have gotten every piece of mail that was sent to me. (even stuff that the address was botched.)

I'm getting a lot of UK buyers. I'm more then happy to mark these as second hand toys, (they only have value to us, to anyone else it's a used pony horse a toddler would chew) but the insurance would be void, in order to take advantage of that, the declared value needs to match the receipt. If the odds of mail truly vanishing are low, I have no problem with this. However if they are notorious for losing mail, I'll be changing my stance.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »
They are normally pretty reliable (thankfully)  and I havent had many lost packages although I've sent and received literally hundreds of parcels :)   the one thing I would say though is that they can handle the parcels a bit roughly sometimes , so be sure to put extra tape around any bubble mailers or boxes, so that the parcel cant tear open  and you should be ok ;)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2012, 11:11:06 PM »
Thanks for clearing that all up.

I always thought Royal Mail was better than US Postal Service but I guess I'm happy I don't have to pay a flat handling fee on top of customs!

FlyingPonyMonster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »
I just paid £17 for a doll that cost $23 they have mischarged me so now I need to figure out how to get it back!

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 12:16:46 AM »
That's insane.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 01:59:47 AM »
I just paid £17 for a doll that cost $23 they have mischarged me so now I need to figure out how to get it back!

Oh....money "back" from Her Majesty...good luck...she has trains to buy and expensive holidays to fund, not to mention a few castles to heat [*funny sarcasm intended here*]

Here you go...

What do I do if I think I have been overcharged Customs Duty on my parcels/goods?

Once you have confirmed that you are entitled to a refund (ie by checking the duty and VAT rates or available duty reliefs), your next action will depend on who delivered your parcels/goods, as follows:

For Parcelforce and Royal Mail deliveries you need to contact the UK Border Agency (UKBA) Office that dealt with your parcel so that they can advise you how to make your claim. Their contact details will be on the Charge label attached to the parcel, along with the Charge Number. You do not have to take delivery in order to make your claim, in which case the Parcelforce or Royal Mail local delivery depot will be able to provide you with the UK Border Agency Office details and Charge Number information from the parcel.

For all other deliveries you need to complete a C285 (available from the VAT, Excise and Customs Helpline) and send this together with any supporting evidence to:

HMRC
National Repayments Unit
Priory Court
St Johns Road
Dover
CT17 9SH

Tel:01304 664523
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

FlyingPonyMonster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 02:00:56 AM »
Thanks hathorcat xxxx

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 05:03:18 AM »
Thanks Cat!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 06:42:46 AM »
NoD I know what you mean about swap boxes. Its a toughie!  however , since its a gift, and if the value is less than £40 /approx $63 ( and like I just mentioned, the value might have gone up now, I have to check) , then sending a parcel to a UK  partner should be ok  and not get any fees even if you put the true value on the box...unless you have joined a really high value swap, or you went waaay over the swap budget ;)

Zomg Ringlets, you know I have! I think I'll just figure out the maximum value I can mark and do that and hope for the best. I've never had a package gone missing and I ship to the UK a lot, but I want to be as covered as I can, just in case.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:45:05 AM by NoDivision »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »
Thanks Cat!

No problem!!! You may have been able to tell from my rant on page 1 [I think] of this thread...UK Customs and I do not get along...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sea_Breeze

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 11:17:11 PM »
The stupid thing is if you had these ponies in your luggage they wouldn't charge a damn thing!!! How is it any different than posting.. really
Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears - anonymous

Offline Jemofirongate

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
I had a 50 cent pony shipped from the US to the UK. They misread the .50 as 50 and decided that as it was worth $50, they'd slap fees on it. I had to pay about £12 to get the parcel including £8 handling fees and never got a refund.

Ive had a similar situation happen to me Daffy, I bought an $11 item from a seller who clearly got her customs labels mixed up when she shipped someone elses parcel worth £100 and ended up paying about £18 customs charges.
I got a refund but had to write 2 letters - 1 to HMRC together with evidence of what I had paid for the item (Paypal receipt) and a statement from the seller saying what had happened with the label mix-up. I got a refund letter and a cheque from HMRC, when you get that, attach a copy of it to a letter to Royal Mail and they will refund the handling fee. Royal Mail will only refund the handling fee if you get your money back off customs first.

Jem :-)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:37:15 PM by Jemofirongate »
Most Wanted! Megans Place Accessories, Please PM me if you want to sell :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal